2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 89

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Deja Vu (1) (6.1)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Deja Vu (1) (6.1). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 9/26/1985
Magnum and Higgins travel to London on urgent business and uncover a mystery with unsettling connections to Magnum's dreams.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by grapeshot »

As the female of the species, I cannot help but point out that Magnum looks SUPER decked out in British tweeds. Heh.

I wish this two part episode had done more with TC's side trip, which I thought seemed a little more interesting than chasing Magnum all over London. Still, I liked how Magnum's sixth sense was brought into play. I liked how the entire series frequently alluded to a mysterious sixth sense about Magnum, but never made it any foundation to the series. The closest it came to doing that was this two-parter, although personally I still don't think it was over-done.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

As the only MPI episode to take place entirely outside of Hawaii, this is truly a unique, almost surreal, episode! No Ferrari, no Hawaiian shirts, no baseball caps, no Robin's Nest. Magnum's walking around in a dinner jacket. T.C.'s in Morocco and "hooks up" with an exotic, wealthy businesswoman. The whole structure of the show is turned upside down! And it's quite refreshing, actually.

I used really hate the subtle psychic/dream/"visions" elements of the show, but they've grown on me and create kind of a neat supernatural twist to Magnum's character - You see, in addition to his superior athletic prowess, legendary military background and P.I. skills, and smooth charm, he also has mental powers! He has a mysterious "little voice". He's somewhat telepathic and has the ability to dream events that are happening in real time. He can even rise from the dead! That's how bad a$$ this guy is! ;)

I loved all the on location shots around London. Francesca Annis and Peter Davidson, two big name British thespians, were fun to see. And Leed's Castle as Robin's Keep! Very cool.

Despite a so-so storyline, not a bad episode at all!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

Whenever I watch this episode (part 1 & 2), I am reminded of what a great actor John Hillerman actually is. Not being from the UK, I think his British accent is excellent. Watching him in this episode with British actors and his manufactured British accent illustrates for me what a genuinely great actor he is, especially considering that John Hillerman is from Texas.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by grapeshot »

Yeah. I was stunned to discover that Hillerman was actually a Texan. My ears aren't the most nuanced ears, but they can't detect any flaw in his accent.

You see, in addition to his superior athletic prowess, legendary military background and P.I. skills, and smooth charm, he also has mental powers! He has a mysterious "little voice". He's somewhat telepathic and has the ability to dream events that are happening in real time. He can even rise from the dead! That's how bad a$$ this guy is!
Oh, and don't forget the disarmingly polite behavior. Or his sympathetic demeanor with ladies in distress. It's an essential part of the total package.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

:D

And regeneration - his wounds heal quickly, and he has the ability to move his scars around, decreasing the stress to any one part of his body!

Rockford, Columbo, Jack Bauer...... they don't even come close to this guy!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

One thing that stands out in this episode for me is Higgin's 3-wheeled car.

Somehow, it seems oddly fitting that Higgins would choose to drive around in a 3-wheeled car as a rental.

I wish he could have brought it back to Maui in lieu of the Audi

:P

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by lutherhgillis »

OK, what did TC going to Morocco have to do with the show? It seems like it is completely disjointed. I know it was the result of Rick getting him a 'deal' on his airfare to London but other than that it makes no sense with the rest of the episode.

I like the fact that Higgins apparently has a heart and decided to keep the major domo trainee for Robin's Keep. I also like the way they threw in the twist where Magnum kidnaps Higgins and takes him to see his dad. That caught me by surprise.

I thought that Magnum doing Jeffrey's wife the day after he was killed was in poor taste. I also didn't really care for the telepathy bit but Jeffrey was involved in some secret gov't work and world governments have explored such things.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

lutherhgillis wrote:OK, what did TC going to Morocco have to do with the show? It seems like it is completely disjointed. I know it was the result of Rick getting him a 'deal' on his airfare to London but other than that it makes no sense with the rest of the episode.
I guess the overall theme of this episode is "Travel". And that includes T.C., in Morocco, having a one-night stand ... and saying, "About last night (smiles), well, I'll never forget it". ;)
lutherhgillis wrote:I thought that Magnum doing Jeffrey's wife the day after he was killed was in poor taste.
I agree. And he's not supposed to be sleeping with clients! Unless the clients are emotionally unstable (Diane, Lauen) or they are recovering from some sort of tragedy (Penelope), then it's ok. If the (hot) client is sleeping over at the guesthouse and makes a move on you (Virginia in "Ghost Writer"), with no strings attached, just for fun, then, apparently, it's NOT ok. :?

AJL
Commander

#10 Post by AJL »

I voted this just awful. I always hated the whole telepathic/visions/whatever aspect of the shows, but this one just took it to a whole new level of stupidity. So now he thinks like geoffrey at times or what?? Or shares his memories?? Am I wathing The X-Files??
And I didn't get the ending at all (but maybe thats just me beeing stupid, cuz I wasn't paying too much attention in end), who tried to shoot who??? And what was Geoffreys involment in it?? Plus I also found the thing with the wife in somewhat poor taste.
Hope season 6 gets better than this.
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

Tanaka's Hat
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by Tanaka's Hat »

Really loved the episode, like many others I really liked the change in scenery. I was just glad that with a bigger budget they decided against making Hawai look like England! My only grumble with the episode was the last minute. The sentiment and whole build up of Higgins being re-united with his father after 40 years was slightly reduced by the fact it was Hillerman in disguise. But I guess that's the beauty of Magnum!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

Tanaka's Hat wrote:Really loved the episode, like many others I really liked the change in scenery. I was just glad that with a bigger budget they decided against making Hawai look like England! My only grumble with the episode was the last minute. The sentiment and whole build up of Higgins being re-united with his father after 40 years was slightly reduced by the fact it was Hillerman in disguise. But I guess that's the beauty of Magnum!
Eh, everyone ELSE in Higgins family seems to look like him.

I shudder to think of his sisters!

:)

Tanaka's Hat
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#13 Post by Tanaka's Hat »

I know everyone else looks like him, that's not the point. I just think that it was quite a poignant scene and rather than thinking "how sweet, what a lovely end to the episode" I was left thinking Higgins' dad looked like Mr Myagi.

On the subject of his sisters, thinking of Higgins complete with cleavage and high heels and put me off my dinner.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Steve »

Tanaka's Hat wrote:
On the subject of his sisters, thinking of Higgins complete with cleavage and high heels and put me off my dinner.
LOL......Actually, that's the effect that Agatha has on me.
By the way, as far as Magnum "bedding" Geoffrey's widow, I got the impression that Magnum was somehow channeling Geoffrey's spirit and it was in fact, Geoffrey doing the deed. That's my story and I'm sticking with it! LOL

Steve
Chicago

Tanaka's Hat
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#15 Post by Tanaka's Hat »

He was channeling something alright! I think the tweed and bad weather had an effect.