2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 89

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Deja Vu (1) (6.1)

#41 Post by Milton Collins »

Quite frankly I was confused by many aspects of this episode, and wasn't crazy about part 1 or 2. I gave both a 6.5 and that was generous as I hadn't seen this one in years and by memory expected it to be even worse. Some highlights 1) an awesome castle featured as Robins Keep. Wish we would have seen even more of it inside, cool place! 2) Ricks behavior was hilarious in this one, he acted like a little kid the whole time and totally cracked me up. 3) TC's sidetracked trip. Was that Moracco? How cool that he ends up being enticed and spending the night with that ritch princess or whatever she was. And what a cool house she had! I was in Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas recently and it reminded me of it, water everywhere! Wonder where that place really is/was? 4) Higgins avoidance of seeing his family and the eventual kidnapping by Magnum. Pretty touching scene as he saw his father for the first time in what, like 40 years? I can't help but crack up at the makeup job they did either lol. And has anyone noticed that "old man Higgins" picture is one of the first ten or so pics that shows up in Hillerman's imdb? That kindve sucks for Hillerman's as that wasn't exactly his finest moment looks wise lol. Anyway great and sad ending! I'd always wondered about some of the details of his upbringing and clearly his father was very hard on him and they were not close.

Some low lights 1) the little boy in the sailor suit was beyond stupid! Who was that supposed to be/represent? Magnum and Jeffs "psychic connection"? Jeffrey as a kid? Anyway I found the kid and that silly flute music to be pretty ridiculous and almost laughable. Maybey if they had explained? 2) I thought it was out of character for TM to hook up with his dead buddy's wife. I know the woman was attractive and that Magnums a red blooded American but it just seemed out of character for him in my book. 3) call me crazy but I just don't care for any of the episodes outside of Hawaii. The local is part of what made Magnum so great, I was happier to see them stick to the islands myself.

Overall not a horrible 2 part episode but not one on par for a show as great as Magnum in my humble opinion.

Report this post Delete post

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by eagle »

This weekend my wife was asking me when Downton Abbey was going to be available again; I informed her that season 6 is coming up around Christmastime. Then we sat down to watch Magnum, p.i. It isn't her favorite show, but she loves spending time with me, so sometimes she watches MPI with me. The next episode in the list was Deja Vu, so we watched the full 1.5 hours of it, and a few minutes into it I said "Baby, we're watching Downton Abbey tonight!" and gave her a big grin. 8) Little did I know that Robin Masters was wealthier than Lord Grantham.

Anyway, this sure was an interesting episode!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by K Hale »

Anyone know where the Higgins estate is? Can't be too far from London if Higgins drove there and back during daylight hours after the funeral.

Front gates:

One way down the road:

The other way down the road:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Sam »

K Hale wrote:Anyone know where the Higgins estate is? Can't be too far from London if Higgins drove there and back during daylight hours after the funeral.

Front gates:

One way down the road:

The other way down the road:

Hi K.Hale..

It was filmed at the Hall Barn.

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season6/Deja_Vu_2.html
http://www.beaconsfieldhistory.org.uk/c ... arn-estate

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by K Hale »

I enjoyed reading this bit about the Reliant Robin. Why would he rent that little thing, it doesn't even look safe... :shock:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliant_Robin
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Stef
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re:

#46 Post by Stef »

Doc Ibold wrote: Eh, everyone ELSE in Higgins family seems to look like him.

I shudder to think of his sisters!

:)

:shock: :D

Excellent !

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#47 Post by 80s Big Hair »

I am surprised that nobody pointed this tidbit out: Higgins takes a call from Robin Masters when he is alone. If they are one in the same, what would the point of doing this be? Nobody is there to witness it. To fool himself?

Edit: this might have been in 6.2.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by K Hale »

80s Big Hair wrote:I am surprised that nobody pointed this tidbit out: Higgins takes a call from Robin Masters when he is alone. If they are one in the same, what would the point of doing this be? Nobody is there to witness it. To fool himself?

Edit: this might have been in 6.2.
Nobody thinks they’re one in the same. They are clearly two different people. What’s questioned is what role each of them plays in writing the novels.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 6.1 Déjà Vu

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking: 2
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 3
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/588103762

There's a tremendous number of plot holes in this one, but it's so visually enjoyable it doesn't matter. Great place to film an episode!

Hall Barn appears in an episode of Endeavour I was watching recently (Season 5, Episode 4, "Colours") and I nearly came out of my chair screaming "That's the Higgins Estate!"
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#50 Post by eagle »

J.J. Walters wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:03 pmLeed's Castle as Robin's Keep! Very cool.
In my current viewing of the series, I'm in Deja Vu right now. I enjoy this episode because it presents England in the 1980s, and I truly like 1980s England and Europe. There are a few "clear window" movies & TV shows from that era. This is one such episode.

As I was watching, I wondered what castle was used as the setting for Robin's Keep, and I knew I would find it here on MM. It would be cool to visit Leed's Castle someday.
J.J. Walters wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:03 pmDespite a so-so storyline, not a bad episode at all!
I agree, and enjoy this episode.
K Hale wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:37 am I enjoyed reading this bit about the Reliant Robin. Why would he rent that little thing, it doesn't even look safe... :shock:

This is another reason I like this episode -- England and Europe had the most interesting cars back then.
Last edited by eagle on Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Re:

#51 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:11 pm
J.J. Walters wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:03 pmLeed's Castle as Robin's Keep! Very cool.
In my current viewing of the series, I'm in Deja Vu right now. I enjoy this episode because it presents England in the 1980s, and I truly like 1980s England and Europe. There are a few "clear window" movies & TV shows from that era.

As I was watching, I wondered what castle was used as the setting for Robin's Keep, and I knew I would find it here on MM. It would be cool to visit Leed's Castle someday.
J.J. Walters wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:03 pmDespite a so-so storyline, not a bad episode at all!
I agree, and enjoy this episode.
K Hale wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:37 am I enjoyed reading this bit about the Reliant Robin. Why would he rent that little thing, it doesn't even look safe... :shock:

This is another reason I like this episode -- England and Europe had the most interesting cars back then.
It was a matter of import safety and emissions laws, beginning in the 70’s, keeping most of these cars out of the US. Funny, I just read an article about this. Many smaller manufacturers of unique vehicles couldn’t afford the expense of the process. The grey market for “federalizing” these was initially an option for private importers but those rules were tightened in the 80’s. It’s still somewhat true today, but vehicle construction rules and regulations have become much more standardized across countries than in the past, so the process has been streamlined more.

purpleflirp303
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#52 Post by purpleflirp303 »

I've read all the descriptions of the episodes in Magnum Mania. They say Thomas only cried 3 times throughout the series. He actually cries in Episode 1 of Deja Vu over the death of his friend Jeffrey St.Clair So, this would make 4 times that he actually sheds tears and not just tears up. Just fyi..

Sir Algernon Farnsworth
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#53 Post by Sir Algernon Farnsworth »

Did they ever explain why Geoffrey St Clair, who was British, was serving with Magnum in the U.S. Navy in Vietnam?

UK forces didn't serve in Vietnam so did his family move there or did he move to the USA and enlist like Rick Rescorla?

Blackmamba
Lieutenant

#54 Post by Blackmamba »

British SAS Special Forces were sent to Vietnam as advisors in Jungle Warfare. It does make sense that one of them made it into a possible joint team. It is still mostly classified, but there is information out there if you’re interested. What I find interesting is considering the covert nature of the British involvement in Vietnam, and how this was worked into a TV show that was made in the 1980’s.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by charybdis1966 »

Sam wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:07 pm
K Hale wrote:Anyone know where the Higgins estate is? Can't be too far from London if Higgins drove there and back during daylight hours after the funeral.

Front gates:

Hi K.Hale..

It was filmed at the Hall Barn.

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season6/Deja_Vu_2.html
http://www.beaconsfieldhistory.org.uk/c ... arn-estate
I saw this one tonight and it reminds me to drive over to the Hall Barn Estate and see how it looks today as it’s only a ten minute drive from where I live.
Talking of driving, did anyone notice the tax disc on magnums car expired on 30-11-84 ; wasn’t season 6 shown in 1986 originally?
Looks like the film crew were using an untaxed car on the road !