3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 78

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: Deja Vu (2) (6.2)

#41 Post by charybdis1966 »

J.J. Walters wrote:Maybe it was the Hogwarts Express? ;)

No, I think you got one charybdis1966! I'll add it to the episode guide soon. You're still a long way away from reaching the Hall of Fame, though. ;)

That's top hole stuff JJ; even though I had to rely on local knowledge for this small(ish) flub I'll take this one bit of flub spotting glory.

(Does knee slide and fist pump :lol: )

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok, I've added the flub. Good spot.

Since you're a life long Londoner (and a Magnum Maniac), I'd like to get your opinion on a scene that happened in Season Three's "Foiled Again", if that's alright. When William Troubshaw (a Brit) meets Higgins he says, "Long time old knob" (or "Long time old nob"). There seems to be several different interpretations about this very British phrase (some of them quite funny). Several people chimed in on this phrase in the Episode Forum thread (http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=27).

Thoughts?

And of course right after this line Troubshaw says, "You're looking well... well fed that is", which is well-remember by many Magnum fans. The way he says it is just hilariously funny. Of course if somebody said that me... Bam! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by charybdis1966 »

Just one flub spotting mention will do me JJ as it means I've made a contribution to your commendably well-structured and comprehensive tribute to MPI, the show we love so much after all these years.

I make minor contributions (and even they take a lot of time and effort) to a couple of sports blogs and know how much time it takes to maintain a website to the quality of Magnum Mania.

I recall reading the discussion on the use of the term "old nob" on the Foiled Again thread and my take on it is that someone of Troubshaw's background (public school educated and middle-aged) would be trying to convey he is being friendly to Higgins.

He does this by using a semi friendly/familiar greeting of "long time old nob", which when used by someone of that background and in that context, on face value, would be where "nob" is merely being used as a term for someone of the nobility, but knowing that Troubshaw takes every opportunity to belittle Higgins his use is not friendly but condescending, especially as he probably believes Higgins is not actual nobility.

The speaking style Troubshaw et al employed is used a lot in the series of PG Wodehouse books "Jeeves and Wooster", a TV adaptation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeeves_and_Wooster ) of which you may have seen starring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, the former of which did a reverse John Hillerman, i.e. a Brit pretending to be an American.

When he follows that up with that classic line "you look well...." it confirms he is only using that opportunity to undermine JQH. That reminds of something I heard at a school reunion of mine (not said by or about me I hasten to add) "so what have you been doing all these years...apart from eating ?"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

Very interesting charybdis1966, thanks! I'm relieved to know that he wasn't calling Higgins an "old knob". ;)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#45 Post by Pahonu »

J.J. Walters wrote:Very interesting charybdis1966, thanks! I'm relieved to know that he wasn't calling Higgins an "old knob". ;)
Hey JJ,

After almost five years on this forum, I just realized your profile says you like to body surf! I love body surfing! I have a surfboard and several body boards, as do my kids, but I still love bodysurfing the best. Right down in the water where you can feel the wave. We have some good spots here in SoCal, in Laguna and "The Wedge" in Newport (if you're young and crazy). Where do you bodysurf in Suburbia USA? Those are great scenes in "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" and "Lest We Forget" with Charlie and Maku.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. This was the one I was reading when I inadvertantly hit your profile button.
Last edited by Pahonu on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#46 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Pahonu!

East coast, with my arms to my side (unless I'm trying to cut across the wave). Let's just leave it at that. ;)

Is there anything more exhilarating in life than catching a wave a little late while body surfing (too late to bail), where you're at the top of the wave looking down, with all that power behind you, and for a split second you think, "oh no!" But everything turns out ok, because you rolled/flipped with the wave and you got your hands out in front of you. You then crawl out of the whitewash, choking on sand, trunks down to your knees, and head back for the next set. You feel alive! Just you and the ocean! :)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#47 Post by Pahonu »

J.J. Walters wrote:Hi Pahonu!

East coast, with my arms to my side (unless I'm trying to cut across the wave). Let's just leave it at that. ;)

Is there anything more exhilarating in life than catching a wave a little late while body surfing (too late to bail), where you're at the top of the wave looking down, with all that power behind you, and for a split second you think, "oh no!" But everything turns out ok, because you rolled/flipped with the wave and you got your hands out in front of you. You then crawl out of the whitewash, choking on sand, trunks down to your knees, and head back for the next set. You feel alive! Just you and the ocean! :)
Great description! But they have waves on the East Coast? :wink:

Have you ever seen footage of the Wedge? I can't believe I went in there when I was a teenager, 6-8 feet, maybe, but it gets much bigger. They wear helmets alot in there now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph8fz_mCe48

dongiovanni
Ensign

#48 Post by dongiovanni »

Although not central to the plot, was there any significance in TC seeing Sade/Shadea at the airport in Morocco and not getting her attention to talk to her? I assumed she pulled the requisite strings at her palace for TC's flight to London and didn't expect to see him again. Why didn't the writers use the Casablanca angle instead of the more mundane Morocco?

Anno
Ensign

#49 Post by Anno »

I thought it was refreshing to see Magnum in the old beater instead of the Ferrari, but was amazed on how he could navigate in and out of London Town so easily as if there was never a traffic issue :roll:
On the other side, 2 things bothered me in the part 2 episode- what happened to TC? and why did the guy who seemed to be the villain (masquerading as a police inspector) get into his car and get away after the sniper was nabbed?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by KENJI »

Hi Doc,

I have another flub for the Episode Section for you to add.

When Thomas is first driving the Bentley and trying to find his way, he drives around the roundabout near Buckingham Palace, drives a bit more until he drives around the roundabout one more time as he is obviously lost.
Now the flub, both times he drives around the roundabout, the same car is on his right hand side and Thomas moves the same way in the Bentley. So they cut a corner and used it twice.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#51 Post by Milton Collins »

Little Garwood wrote:I just watched Deja Vu again and I'm wondering about Stokesy. Was he part of the assassination team? He stares back at Magnum and walks away, but what was his role supposed to be since he wasn't the real Inspector Stokesy?

What was the significance of the boy in the sailor suit?
Quite frankly I was confused by many aspects of this episode, and wasn't crazy about part 1 or 2. I gave both a 6.5 and that was generous as I hadn't seen this one in years and by memory expected it to be even worse. Some highlights 1) an awesome castle featured as Robins Keep. Wish we would have seen even more of it inside, cool place! 2) Ricks behavior was hilarious in this one, he acted like a little kid the whole time and totally cracked me up. 3) TC's sidetracked trip. Was that Moracco? How cool that he ends up being enticed and spending the night with that ritch princess or whatever she was. And what a cool house she had! I was in Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas recently and it reminded me of it, water everywhere! Wonder where that place really is/was? 4) Higgins avoidance of seeing his family and the eventual kidnapping by Magnum. Pretty touching scene as he saw his father for the first time in what, like 40 years? I can't help but crack up at the makeup job they did either lol. And has anyone noticed that "old man Higgins" picture is one of the first ten or so pics that shows up in Hillerman's imdb? That kindve sucks for Hillerman's as that wasn't exactly his finest moment looks wise lol. Anyway great and sad ending! I'd always wondered about some of the details of his upbringing and clearly his father was very hard on him and they were not close.

Some low lights 1) the little boy in the sailor suit was beyond stupid! Who was that supposed to be/represent? Magnum and Jeffs "psychic connection"? Jeffrey as a kid? Anyway I found the kid and that silly flute music to be pretty ridiculous and almost laughable. Maybey if they had explained? 2) I thought it was out of character for TM to hook up with his dead buddy's wife. I know the woman was attractive and that Magnums a red blooded American but it just seemed out of character for him in my book. 3) call me crazy but I just don't care for any of the episodes outside of Hawaii. The local is part of what made Magnum so great, I was happier to see them stick to the islands myself.

Overall not a horrible 2 part episode but not one on par for a show as great as Magnum in my humble opinion.

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

#52 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

I found this to be the worst of the two-part episodes.

I still have questions about the plot. Maybe I missed something and someone has the answers.

Why was Geoffrey killed?

Who were they trying to assassinate at the end and why?

tiger73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re:

#53 Post by tiger73 »

Shermy wrote:The series contradicts itself in this episode, as Geoffrey is implied to have been involved in the assassination of Sadat in 1981. But in "Did You See The Sunrise?", it was suggested that Ivan had been responsible for the attack.

However, we could still assume that more than one team was involved in the plot, or that Geoffrey was yet another of Ivan's pawns that he had used to do a job.
I have noticed too, I think Ivan & Commies hand in this assassination is highly probable

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by MaximRecoil »

J.J. Walters wrote:Very interesting charybdis1966, thanks! I'm relieved to know that he wasn't calling Higgins an "old knob". ;)
I always thought it was just meaningless banter, i.e., the same idea as other "stock British phrases" such as "old stick", "old bean", or "old chap".

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#55 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Maybe I'm missing something here but if Higgins father is the Duke of Perth would the family home not be in Perth, Scotland? If so that's about 7 and a half hours from London.... Kind of a long drive for Higgins to make and then leave.
That reminds me of the time....