3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 78

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Deja Vu (2) (6.2)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Deja Vu (2) (6.2). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 9/26/1985
Magnum and Higgins travel to London on urgent business and uncover a mystery with unsettling connections to Magnum's dreams.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#2 Post by Shermy »

The series contradicts itself in this episode, as Geoffrey is implied to have been involved in the assassination of Sadat in 1981. But in "Did You See The Sunrise?", it was suggested that Ivan had been responsible for the attack.

However, we could still assume that more than one team was involved in the plot, or that Geoffrey was yet another of Ivan's pawns that he had used to do a job.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

The second half of this episode drags a bit a times, but it does feature a couple of really good Magnum/Higgins scenes. Their discussion about Higgins father at the lake of Robin's Keep was nicely done and very poignant. And the denouement, with Magnum literally kidnapping Higgins and taking him to see his father, was unexpected and quite touching. Who isn't moved by a father/son hug forty years late?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

frog480
Lieutenant Commander

#4 Post by frog480 »

I just got season six on DVD,

I agree with others it makes a nice change to see the guys away from Robin's nest etc, but I does drag a little in places.

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by higgybaby1 »

I loved the parts of Higgins/Magnum as well....I kind of wanted to throw up with John Hillerman's make up to make him look like his father...those were some nasty jowls and boils.... :?
OH MY GAWD!

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by eegorr »

James J. Walters wrote:The second half of this episode drags a bit a times...
Funny, I didn't think the second half was any worse than the second half in this regard. In fact, I rather liked this episode, and, if I had to choose, the second half is my favorite of the two, partly for the reasons you mentioned.

BTW, a piece of trivia for you: the license plate on the Jag that almost ran Magnum down was FHR 69W.

Funny that Magnum wasn't able to remember the plate himself since the car was coming straight at him with the plate on the front and the numbers on the plate were black on white and much larger than the numbers on plates in the U.S.

But I guess if he had gotten the license plate number it would have been only a ninety-minute episode instead of a full 2 hours! :lol:

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by eegorr »

Hey, how do we know that the guy who was impersonating Inspector Stokesay is actually Duncan Scott? Is the explanation for this something that is left out of the syndicated version of the episode?

Also, what happens to TC? Does he stay in Morocco for a while, continue on to London, or return to Hawaii? I was thinking that Magnum might have sent him home to intercept the package that had been sent to him by the newspaper seller?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Does anyone happen to know where this is in London?

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

I tried searching for shopping arcade, and other similar terms, but no luck.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

I think it's Covent Garden. Though the roof looks like an arch in that picture, I think there is the pointed glass and frames above it that Covent Garden has. Check it on Google Earth. And check it on Google Images.

From Google Images:

On Google Earth

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Sam »

>>>I think it's Covent Garden.<<<

No doubt about it,nice find Golf.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#12 Post by golfmobile »

Oh, goody! Can I be a Rubber Chick? :lol: :D

uhhhhh, I'm not sure I want that designation . . . . it sounds . . . . a tad "politically incorrect" . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#13 Post by rubber chicken »

Heh, nice job golf. :)

How did you find out? Or did you recognize it?

edit - It looks like the full name for that particular part of Covent Garden is Covent Garden Market.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

rc,

Sort of a combination of having been there, slightly knowing London and its shopping venues, and an semi-educated guess. For example, to think of the usual shopping venues in London, well, it's obviously not Harrad's, Piccadilly, Oxford, or Regent Street, and the Portobello Mart is pretty much an outdoor street venue (think "really big flea market"). Now, I think Covent Garden USED to be pretty much the outdoor stalls similar to Portobello, but I vaguely remembered something about how CG had been turned into the UK version of Faneuil Hall Marketplace in Boston . . . . . (think "commercial," "tourist attraction," and "profit margin").

Rather a convoluted way to get to the answer, but my mind is full of useless information.

And, though this two-parter wasn't set in Hawaii, at least it was set in a rather "glamorous" (to us "ugly Americans") venue -- the UK -- so at least it rather kept the "exotic" flavor of usual MPI Hawaii shows, if you see what I mean. I think I didn't say that right, but hopefully you all know what I mean. Besides, it rather touched base with Selleck's "Lassiter" history of being in the UK.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#15 Post by rubber chicken »

I guess you never know when useless information will again become useful. Glad you didn't throw it away. :)

And it's always a bit of a shock when Magnum leaves Hawaii, but I agree with your feelings about going to England. With Higgins being from there, it's kind of like going to visit where a friend grew up. It's a much better location for Magnum than L.A. in my opinion.