1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 78

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Old Acquaintance (6.3)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Old Acquaintance (6.3). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 10/3/1985
An old friend has Magnum and T.C. in a political conundrum by chasing after a well-trained dolphin that has been loaded down with explosives.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's hard for me to imagine a less likable, more annoying, acquaintance of Magnum's than Goldie Morris! A career, militant protestor who knows no boundaries. She burns down high school goalposts at halftime just for the fun of it. And just how on earth did she burn down a goalpost?? So, she's extremely dangerous, too! What on earth did Magnum see in her in high school. He's getting ready to enter the Naval Academy and she's protesting all over the place. Nice match there.

A dolphin is almost blown up. Another over-the-top African dictator. Meh, not such a good episode for me.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

James, you're right on. I guess, the attraction was supposed to be that she got Magnum through English Lit, or some other class. But, if she despised football, the military, etc., then why would she help Magnum in the first place. Today, a high school kid might be able to burn down a goal post and get away with it, but in the early 60's, there would have been severe consequences. This was a stretch for me also.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:Today, a high school kid might be able to burn down a goal post and get away with it, but in the early 60's, there would have been severe consequences. This was a stretch for me also.
True, but exactly HOW could she burn down a metal goalpost? And during halftime?! What, was she packing a cannister of rocket fuel and a blowtorch in her backpack? A goalpost would be really hard to "burn down". It's just funny. ;)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

If Magnum graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1967, then he would have been in high school from about 1959-1963. This was before my time, but back in those days (50's-60's), some football fields used wooden goal posts. You know, the goal post's shaped like an "H." I just assumed the goal posts referred to in the episode were wooden. I don't recall how specific Magnum was about the goal posts in the episode. I was born in the 60's, but I remember some of the football fields I played on during my "Pop Warner" days had wooden goal posts. Some even used "PVC"...real high-tech.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#6 Post by Shermy »

I always assumed they were wooden also. As a kid in the 80's, I remember visiting some schools that still used them.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! Oh man, don't I feel stupid! You guys are absolutely right. I don't remember seeing any wooden ones in the 70s when I was a kid (although I'm sure there was some), but they most certainly did have wooden goalposts back in the late 50s, early 60s! :oops:

It's still funny, though. Thomas is leading his team into the locker room after a tough first half on the gridiron when all of a sudden, Goldie Morris is streaking across the field with a can of gasoline and a Zippo lighter! Oh no, she's set the goalposts on fire, and she's shouting something about 'football is oppressive'! An Offensive Lineman taps TM on the shoulder, "Hey Tom, isn't that your girlfriend? What the hell is she doing?" [Magnum covers his head and runs for the locker room].

8)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#8 Post by IslandHopper »

It's okay James. With all the great work you have done on this site, you have earned a pass or two.

frog480
Lieutenant Commander

#9 Post by frog480 »

I have to say I found Goldie, rather annoying. Also the history between her and TM didn't really make sense, as others have said.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

I never thought Goldie was an actual former girlfriend of his, just someone that happened to tutor him in English Lit. in high school. Probably during the time of the tutoring she was active in civil disobedience-type activities on campus which as I remember, was popular during the late 60's.

Baseball only lasts a summer, however long that summer lasts. ~Magnum to Mad Buck Gibson

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#11 Post by IslandHopper »

I recently watched this episode again and was reminded of the movie, "The Day of The Dolphin" (1973), which starred George C. Scott, Paul Sorvino, Edward Hermann and Fritz Weaver (Capt. Cooley from Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii).

"Old Acquaintance" is identical to this movie. :shock: George C. Scott plays a marine biologist who trains two dolphins and teaches them to communicate with humans using signs, etc. Corporate-backed bad guys steal the dolphins and try to get them to blow up the president's yacht. The movie was a little long and boring, but it was interesting to watch because of the similarities to "Old Acquaintance." I wonder if the writer of this episode got the idea from the movie? If not, it's awfully coincidental.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah yes, but did the movie have the most annoying character of all-time in Goldie Morris? One who sets fire to football goalposts during halftime in High School?? Huh? Well? ;)

But seriously, great note there IH! As Maxwell Smart once said, "I did not know that!". :)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#13 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:Ah yes, but did the movie have the most annoying character of all-time in Goldie Morris? One who sets fire to football goalposts during halftime in High School?? Huh? Well? ;)
No, not even close. Goldie Morris is in a category all by herself. :lol:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:and Fritz Weaver (Capt. Cooley from Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii).
Looking at the IMDB, I also see that Phyllis Davis (Cleo in MPI) also has a small role in this movie as a Receptionist.

So IH, I gotta know, do the good guys thwart the evil plot in time, and save a poor dolphin from blowing up? I love dolphins. ;)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#15 Post by IslandHopper »

James, I have to admit, I don't actually remember. :oops: I watched the movie on TV about 3-4 months ago and was going to mention it here but I forgot. I wasn't reminded about it until the other day when I happended to watch "Old Acquaintance." I don't know if I was falling asleep or what? :? I do remember the reason I started watching it in the first place was that I recognized Fritz Weaver from the pilot. As I continued to watch, I got a kick out of the fact that it was identical to "Old Acquaintance." That was the only reason I stayed with the movie, because it was kind of boring. I guess when you've seen George C. Scott in "Patton" as many times as I have, everything else seems pretty tame in comparison. Anyway, if you happen to catch it on TV it is worth watching for the MPI comparison.