6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 78

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#51 Post by J.J. Walters »

MaiTaiMan wrote:LOL!! That would have made for an interesting episode of "Flipper"! It actually would have been considered one of the more serious or "wild" episodes of that show...but they would have never filmed it. "Flipper" was more like the "Mr. Ed" of the ocean.
True, true. But there is an episode called "Flipper Joins the Navy", a two-parter at that. Now, why would Flipper join the Navy? They tricked him, of course! They're setting him up to be a prototype assassin dolphin bomb!! LOL! Ok, ok, I'll stop now. ;)

In any event, Flipper, Day of the Dolphin, "The Deadly Dolphin", they may all be similar to "Old Acquaintance", but none of them feature one Miss Goldie "I Burned Down the Goalposts" Morris!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:LOL!! That would have made for an interesting episode of "Flipper"! It actually would have been considered one of the more serious or "wild" episodes of that show...but they would have never filmed it. "Flipper" was more like the "Mr. Ed" of the ocean.
True, true. But there is an episode called "Flipper Joins the Navy", a two-parter at that. Now, why would Flipper join the Navy? They tricked him, of course! They're setting him up to be a prototype assassin dolphin bomb!! LOL! Ok, ok, I'll stop now. ;)

In any event, Flipper, Day of the Dolphin, "The Deadly Dolphin", they may all be similar to "Old Acquaintance", but none of them feature one Miss Goldie "I Burned Down the Goalposts" Morris!
LOL!! :lol: I used to watch "Flipper" reruns when I was little, but I don't remember the "Joins the Navy" 2-parter! :?: But, that "sells" it...there was some very "fishy" goings on with the military, bombs, and dolphins back then! :P Ok...I'll stop now, too.

But when it involves deadly dolphins, bombs, Wonder Woman, Magnum...and even freakin Flipper---you know somebody opened a can of sardines. :shock: Crap...I forgot to stop! :P

But, you are right...none of those other episodes had Goldie Morris...who burns down goalposts. But, if she is into fire and/or explosions...maybe she's the bomb expert who is trying to turn the dolphins into "Jaws"! :o
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#53 Post by miltontheripper »

J.J. Walters wrote:I tell ya what, Rodney Radcliff is one of the coolest characters ever seen in the show - a laid-back uber-mechanic/painter who tells good stories, listens to good music and has some sweet cars in his garage! Loved that flaming VW bug! He would have made for a great recurring character in the show. His character would have been a great way to showcase Hawaiian hot rods -- whenever someone showed up at his garage, different hot rods would be seen.

Anyway, this episode holds up much better on multiple viewings. And Goldie didn't annoy me nearly as much this time! ;)

I agree completely! Rodney Radcliff was pretty hilarious, especially how he'd only talk with TC for the most part. And yes he had some awesome cars! I also agree that this one gets better with multiple viewings, Goldie is less annoying! Overall I liked this episode.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#54 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

IslandHopper wrote:James, you're right on. I guess, the attraction was supposed to be that she got Magnum through English Lit, or some other class. But, if she despised football, the military, etc., then why would she help Magnum in the first place.
Obviously she had the hots for him.

I wonder if Magnum's yearbook is actually Selleck's yearbook with his name overwritten. In that case I wonder what his old schoolmates thought of seeing their old pictures on Magnum PI.

Good classic-feel Magnum episode with some moral undercurrents (like all the best Magnum episodes), although frankly I found the high-fallutin' political discussion on the yacht between the President, the opposition leader and Higgins quite cheesy and cringe-inducing.

As in Deja Vu, Magnum once again fails to read a perfectly readable number plate. We see him wear reading glasses in later seasons - perhaps he should consider wearing glasses all the time. :roll:

Speaking of glasses - in a classic ugly duckling scenario, Goldie justifies the fact that she no longer wears glasses with a miraculous relapse of her condition. :roll: Wouldn't it have been more beleivable to have her wear contacts?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Steve »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:
I wonder if Magnum's yearbook is actually Selleck's yearbook with his name overwritten. In that case I wonder what his old schoolmates thought of seeing their old pictures on Magnum PI.
I found the actual page from the Grant High School 1962 yearbook.........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#56 Post by J.J. Walters »

Whoa, nice find Steve! Check out Selleck! LOL! :)

So the page they used in the episode is different from Selleck "real" yearbook. Makes sense I suppose...

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Uh, yup. The mustache definitely is required.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Just watched this ep here in Hawai'i and was fun but had a few peccadilloes;

Annoying Haole girl kept mispronouncing the dolphins name wrong.

Magnum lumbers up to the car mechanic painter and attacks him with demands. It is never done that way here. There is always a degree of ho'omalimali. Lousy P.I. tactics. No matter where you are.

They are all on the fake Whaler's ship there in the "lagoon" Sealife park and we hear a horn honk which makes goldie turn and say gotta go. No one does that here, but transplants. And also no car horn is audible to that degree in that area.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#59 Post by Doc Fred »

No need to know! wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:
rubber chicken wrote:I loved Big Wednesday when I saw it maybe five years ago, but now I can't even picture her in the movie.

She was also in Mr. Majestyk with Bronson. That makes her ok in my book. ;)
Great movie.
Absolutely! Bronson movies were awesome... My favorite is "Hard Times"...
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Old Acquaintance (6.3)

#60 Post by Doc Fred »

Despite Rodney, who was terrific, and the usual back forth between the four main guys, I couldn't stand this one because of that obnoxious, horrible beast.... annoying isn't nearly a strong enough word to describe her. She's almost all that I've ever disliked in people, from her attitude to her politics... As I watched the episode, I mumbled under my breath at her all the way from the time we learn of her history to the end... She was totally unlikeable. To me, she was the actress whose name I refuse to ever say again.

Because of her, I voted 4.0, the worst show of the series. To beat out a couple of the others, it took someone like her. I absolutely never liked "Ms." Jones or the Cassie characters, but at least they had some redeeming qualities...

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re:

#61 Post by ConchRepublican »

No need to know! wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:
rubber chicken wrote:I loved Big Wednesday when I saw it maybe five years ago, but now I can't even picture her in the movie.

Great movie.
Quick search result - "Vince Majestyk (Charles Bronson) is a former U. S. Army Ranger instructor and Vietnam War veteran who now owns a remote watermelon farm in rural Colorado"

Watermelons? Colorado? Really?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#62 Post by Kevster »

Great movie.
Quick search result - "Vince Majestyk (Charles Bronson) is a former U. S. Army Ranger instructor and Vietnam War veteran who now owns a remote watermelon farm in rural Colorado"

Watermelons? Colorado? Really?
Actually, it sounds like they blended a couple of Bronson movies together here...
Trust Me!!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#63 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Fred wrote:Despite Rodney, who was terrific, and the usual back forth between the four main guys, I couldn't stand this one because of that obnoxious, horrible beast.... annoying isn't nearly a strong enough word to describe her. She's almost all that I've ever disliked in people, from her attitude to her politics... As I watched the episode, I mumbled under my breath at her all the way from the time we learn of her history to the end... She was totally unlikeable. To me, she was the actress whose name I refuse to ever say again.

Because of her, I voted 4.0, the worst show of the series. To beat out a couple of the others, it took someone like her. I absolutely never liked "Ms." Jones or the Cassie characters, but at least they had some redeeming qualities...
Hehe! Ah, but we must remember that her character was supposed to be unlikeable, especially to Magnum. This, in turn, made nearly every scene with her and Magnum pretty darn funny. Just the look on Magnum's face in half of his interactions with her was priceless. You could almost read his mind as he was thinking to himself, "Jesus, why in the world was I with this chick in High School??" :)

Still though, as unlikeable and annoying as she was, her heart was in the right place. It's a noble endeavor to devout your life to saving animals. And really, no dolphin should ever suffer the indignity and downright cruelty of having a bomb strapped to its back! ;)

Worst episode of the series? Come on, you know you laughed your ass off when Magnum says, "Yes, I remember. You felt that football was uncivilized, that it encouraged students to acts of violence, rather than rational, intellectual discussions. So, at halftime, during the Homecoming game, you... burned down the goalposts." That alone should elevate it from the bottom of the barrel.

Doc Fred
Admiral

#64 Post by Doc Fred »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Doc Fred wrote:Despite Rodney, who was terrific, and the usual back forth between the four main guys, I couldn't stand this one because of that obnoxious, horrible beast.... annoying isn't nearly a strong enough word to describe her. She's almost all that I've ever disliked in people, from her attitude to her politics... As I watched the episode, I mumbled under my breath at her all the way from the time we learn of her history to the end... She was totally unlikeable. To me, she was the actress whose name I refuse to ever say again.

Hehe! Ah, but we must remember that her character was supposed to be unlikeable, especially to Magnum. This, in turn, made nearly every scene with her and Magnum pretty darn funny. Just the look on Magnum's face in half of his interactions with her was priceless. You could almost read his mind as he was thinking to himself, "Jesus, why in the world was I with this chick in High School??" :)

Still though, as unlikeable and annoying as she was, her heart was in the right place. It's a noble endeavor to devout your life to saving animals. And really, no dolphin should ever suffer the indignity and downright cruelty of having a bomb strapped to its back! ;)

Worst episode of the series? Come on, you know you laughed your ass off when Magnum says, "Yes, I remember. You felt that football was uncivilized, that it encouraged students to acts of violence, rather than rational, intellectual discussions. So, at halftime, during the Homecoming game, you... burned down the goalposts." That alone should elevate it from the bottom of the barrel.
Yes, I realize she was supposed to be the way she was... well, she and the writers did a good job of making me, shall I say, dislike her.

Agreed about not liking indiscriminate killing of animals for no legitimate reason... I have never hunted and never will...

Yeah, it's still the worst episode to me... she ticked me off all the way through the entire show after we met her... I didn't think there were many bad shows in the series, and even the ones that were a bit weak had something in them that I liked... not so with this one. Well, to each their own. :)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#65 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Fred wrote:Yeah, it's still the worst episode to me... she ticked me off all the way through the entire show after we met her... I didn't think there were many bad shows in the series, and even the ones that were a bit weak had something in them that I liked... not so with this one. Well, to each their own. :)
C'mon Fred, turn that frown upside down, it's Magnum!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04