1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 78

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Old Acquaintance (6.3)

#76 Post by Milton Collins »

J. Rickley Schneider wrote:I liked Goldie Morris because she looked and acted like a young Jane Fonda.

I'm 180 degrees from Jane Fonda politically, but for some reason I like it when attractive women spout off on boutique liberal causes.

Good call! She does look and act like Jane Fonda!! I think Goldie is a fun character despite her annoying habits and is very attractive, would have liked to have seen her come back for another episode.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Pretty much the only things that I remember from this episode is Tom Robinson as a military dictator (...'kay...) and this quote (especially due to TS's reading):

Makini
: Unless we find Kele, it's only a matter of days before [Kele's mate] will be dead!
Magnum: Maybe we can get an undercover mahi-mahi to find his hideout!

It's so silly! :lol:

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by MagnumILWU »

Watching it now on Encore. I like this episode! Brings back good memories.So many people seem to like the more serious episodes, not me! I've always preferred the fun, goofy episodes like this one.
"pickled egg please"

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by KingKC »

This was a decent episode even if it did borrow the theme from a movie. The high school picture of TM/TS was priceless. Once again TM was the protector of an animal like the dog and horse of Season 1. Animals had a way of showing up in a lot of episodes. It made TM seem a little more real that he actually was a "kid" of sorts at one time and not always a macho navy man/private investigator type. I agree that Goldie was annoying in her character but I also agree she was good looking.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#80 Post by MaximRecoil »

Steve wrote:
Croix de Lorraine wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:
I wonder if Magnum's yearbook is actually Selleck's yearbook with his name overwritten. In that case I wonder what his old schoolmates thought of seeing their old pictures on Magnum PI.
I found the actual page from the Grant High School 1962 yearbook.........
That's a different picture of Selleck than the one in the episode; his face is at a different angle.
J.J. Walters wrote:Whoa, nice find Steve! Check out Selleck! LOL! :)

So the page they used in the episode is different from Selleck "real" yearbook. Makes sense I suppose...

That picture of Selleck is definitely composited into that yearbook; it has poor contrast while the rest of the pictures have normal contrast. It also has a different backdrop than the other pictures have. Plus, it is more of a closeup than the other pictures, making his head look huge in comparison to his "classmates". That particular picture of Selleck they used probably isn't from a yearbook. It definitely isn't from the yearbook posted by Steve, though it looks like it was from the same photo session (same hair, clothes, and backdrop).

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I was just reading a BBC news article and Russian colonel admitted to having "military dolphins"!

"We have military dolphins for combat roles, we don't cover that up," he said.

"In Sevastopol (in Crimea) we have a centre for military dolphins, trained to solve various tasks, from analysing the seabed to protecting a stretch of water, killing foreign divers, attaching mines to the hulls of foreign ships."

"Killing foreign divers"?? Nice. I wonder if the "fricken sharks with fricken lasers on their heads" are real too.

The Americans, too have military dolphins.

"The US Navy deployed dolphins to the Gulf during the Iraq War in 2003 to help mine-clearance teams."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48090616

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 6.3 Old Acquaintance

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum: 1
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations: 1
Body Count:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 4
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/590295578

I have to say, I’m somewhat surprised nobody has so far said about this episode, “Old Acquaintance should be forgotten….” Perhaps I missed it, I did somewhat skim the forum comments on this one, as they seem singularly focused on Goldie bashing, which, while warranted, did get old after a while.

The following flub needs to be removed from the episode guide:
3 And yet another dolphin-related flub; Goldie says that if the "kidnappers" release the dolphin, it will die in the wild within days. However, that is exactly what she (Goldie) was planning on doing!! This is a major flaw in the storyline and simply doesn't make sense. (Noted by Timmer33)
Goldie clearly states “Since I've been working here, I've learned that dolphins born and raised in captivity don't stand a chance out there in the ocean. So Mission Liberty was scrapped.”
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Blackmamba
Lieutenant

#83 Post by Blackmamba »

Other than agreeing that Goldie was a thoroughly irritating character the only thing I have to add is about the dolphins used by the navy. There is a huge area that you can drive by at the naval base in San Diego. A warning sign designated it as a Dolphin Research Research facility. The friend that took me there to look around was stationed there in the 80’s and mentioned that it had been there during her time there.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this one the other night straight after Deja Vu and it was a relief to see some blue sky and beaches again. Being a UK resident you can only see so much grey sky and rain.

On the face of it Goldie should be an annoying character for me as in general I would find her politics tiresome and yet on a few things I agree with her. While I'm not sure of the benefit of burning goal posts down being a life long vegetarian I can sympathise with her views on animal welfare.

That being said when I realised early on one of the main protagonists of the plot was a fish (I know, a dolphin's a mammal) I knew it was going to be a goofy episode. What is most irritating about the story is the complete rip off from the Wonder Woman episode some 5-6 years earlier as mentioned further up this thread. That is just pure lazy writing and speaks of a paucity of ideas from the creators of this story.

The positives - Lee Purcell is pleasant to look at and I don't find her as annoying as other characters, which leads me onto the other positive:
No Carol Baldwin ! :P

Thomas Tinto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#85 Post by Thomas Tinto »

I couldn't agree more with Jay Firestorm. [rating:9.0] Goldie was annoying in typical Magnum, P.I. and I really like the opening scene with TC and Rick looking at Magnum's scrapbook. Goldie not only angered Magnum but Higgins as well! I also really liked Magnum's shadow in the glass of the taxi window in the final scene. Not a classic MPI but very good