6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 94

Tuan Vu
Captain

#31 Post by Tuan Vu »

This episode was well done but I was disappointed that Magnum jumped into bed with a married man's wife. I always liked Magnum because of his integrity, but this incident and the one before it in Deja Vu where he did a similar thing (although the husband had recently died) tainted the show for me.

By the way, the voice of the weather reporter on the radio is that of Larry Price, who along with Michael W. Perry, hosts the #1 radio show in Hawaii every morning. He has a distinctive voice and pronunciation that you can't mistake. Here he is on the far left: http://saturdaybriefing.outrigger.com/w ... rice-2.jpg

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#32 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Tuan Vu wrote:This episode was well done but I was disappointed that Magnum jumped into bed with a married man's wife. I always liked Magnum because of his integrity, but this incident and the one before it in Deja Vu where he did a similar thing (although the husband had recently died) tainted the show for me.
Men are eternally making stupid out of character decisions when the opportunity to sleep with a hot woman arises. Some, like TM, are better than others, but he still has that unpredictable y chromosome! I think it just makes him more real.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Little Garwood »

Just watched The Kona Winds again today and I totally accept the impulsive fall-in-love routine here. The Kona Winds make men behave strangely. In fact, this story is reminscent of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe short story, The Red Wind. Here's the intro from the actual story:

"There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen."

Compare that to the opening narration of The Kona Winds:

"There's something hypnotic about the climate in Hawaii; every day it's sunny and 80 degrees, every day there are gentle trade winds to take the edge off the humidity, every day ... until the Kona Winds come up. The Kona Winds come from the south, from somewhere in the vastness of the Pacific Ocean. As they travel toward the unprotected chain of islands sitting vulnerable in the huge expanse of water, they pick up power, and speed, and force, finally crashing into the scattered pits of land. But the Kona Winds do more than whip the sea into a frenzy, they stir the blood and tear at the emotions, thrusting even temperate men into destinies they may later regret. I've always felt drawn to the lands end to watch the winds come in, as if I were somehow... part of the drama."

Lauren Henderson's (Cynthia Sikes) dialogue is melodramatic by design, I think, and reminds me of what a fool Mr. Fish was to let Chris Abbott (the episode's writer) get away!

:lol:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

Neat. Really interesting about the comparison to Chandler's Red Wind Little Garwood!

"...You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge."
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:A fun episode with a great climax. Two new indoor sets for Robin's Nest are seen - an upstairs room with a fireplace, and the laundry room. I love how the show sometimes surprises you with these new, or rarely seen, indoor sets for Robin's Nest. It feeds into the idea that the estate is really almost a character in and of itself.

This episode also has another one of those "Magnum Falls Instantly In Love" scenarios - Magnum meets lady in distress. Lady appears to be somewhat emotionally unstable. Magnum falls madly in love with the lady, almost instantaneously! Something tragic happens. Magnum's heart is broken. Roll credits. I mean, come on. They were both still wet from the ocean rescue, and TM was basically ready to marry to her!

I like how Magnum (and the show) acknowledges this character "flaw" of his, however, by the scene with him mumbling to himself, "Magnum, what are you doing? ... what are you doing?". At least he knows it's a problem. It could get him killed for crying out loud! ;)

Solid episode.
I totally agree with what J.J. Walters said...and I also love the new rooms we get to see of the Robin Masters Estate! I love what J.J. stated about how new rooms surprise you with the idea that the estate is almost like a "character" in and of itself....man I wish I'd said that! :wink:

I also thought Magnum was a little ridiculous with instantly falling in love with this strange woman--who he only has her word that some guy was murdered by her husband. :wink:

As old fashioned as this sounds...I still also have some problems with Magnum sleeping with a married woman. :? I mean...the woman is still married, she may have tried to committ suicide, her husband is supposedly a huge part of the problem...so he sleeps with her? That was a stupid move, even for Magnum. But, like J.J. said...at least he does acknowledge it as a stupid move and a problem.

But, overall I do really like this episode! Good plot twists set amongst a eerie and distrubing tropical storm, good suspense, more interesting sets added to the Masters' Estate, wild ending, etc...! Very good and I rated it as such! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#36 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:A fun episode with a great climax. Two new indoor sets for Robin's Nest are seen - an upstairs room with a fireplace, and the laundry room. I love how the show sometimes surprises you with these new, or rarely seen, indoor sets for Robin's Nest. It feeds into the idea that the estate is really almost a character in and of itself.

This episode also has another one of those "Magnum Falls Instantly In Love" scenarios - Magnum meets lady in distress. Lady appears to be somewhat emotionally unstable. Magnum falls madly in love with the lady, almost instantaneously! Something tragic happens. Magnum's heart is broken. Roll credits. I mean, come on. They were both still wet from the ocean rescue, and TM was basically ready to marry to her!

I like how Magnum (and the show) acknowledges this character "flaw" of his, however, by the scene with him mumbling to himself, "Magnum, what are you doing? ... what are you doing?". At least he knows it's a problem. It could get him killed for crying out loud! ;)

Solid episode.
I totally agree with what J.J. Walters said...and I also love the new rooms we get to see of the Robin Masters Estate! I love what J.J. stated about how new rooms surprise you with the idea that the estate is almost like a "character" in and of itself....man I wish I'd said that! :wink:

I also thought Magnum was a little ridiculous with instantly falling in love with this strange woman--who he only has her word that some guy was murdered by her husband. :wink:

As old fashioned as this sounds...I still also have some problems with Magnum sleeping with a married woman. :? I mean...the woman is still married, she may have tried to committ suicide, her husband is supposedly a huge part of the problem...so he sleeps with her? That was a stupid move, even for Magnum. But, like J.J. said...at least he does acknowledge it as a stupid move and a problem.

But, overall I do really like this episode! Good plot twists set amongst a eerie and distrubing tropical storm, good suspense, more interesting sets added to the Masters' Estate, wild ending, etc...! Very good and I rated it as such! :)
Couldn't have said it better myself. I loved seeing the two new rooms in the estate. That's one thing I wish they would have done more of on Magnum, it's such a cool place! The storm gave this one a really creepy atmosphere that always makes for a great MPI espisode. I have to agree with those of you that said you were a bit dissapointed with TM sleeping with a married woman, I could have done without that part. But I still thought this one was great, a 9.5 for me. The plot was outstanding with a mystery that kept me fooled until the very end which was a classic in my opinion.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Frodoleader »

A couple of thoughts regarding this episode:
1. I thought it was strange that TM took off his shirt to jump in after Lauren. Wouldn't his shirt already be kind of wet from standing next to the surf in high winds? 2. The scene with the secretary had a very "Rockford Files" feel to me. This impersonation is something that Jim Rockford pulled off all the time. 3. The falling for Lauren thing is very out of character for TM. I guess we should chalk it up to the Kona Winds.
4.) And finally, at the party at the KKC, the Native troupe appeared to be performing a haka. The haka is primarily a New Zealand Maori chant/dance. Did Native Hawai'ians do the haka? Maybe Braddah Kimo can straighten us out on this.

:magnum:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#38 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

firefly wrote: As was alredy mentioned in this thread, magnum falling in love so quickly is a far from uncommon event within the world of tv. i do however feel that mpi is a show that overall meets a higher standard. rick falling in love so fast in woman on the beach or computer date i have less of a problem with since i always felt that it fit ricks persona as a somewhat gullible guy. magnum however is a far from naiive person, so him falling so fast (esp. for a married woman) strikes me as a bit out of character.
Well, like Magnum himself says, "It's Chinatown"... I mean "It's the Kona winds". And it's hardly out of character anyway - Magnum has repeatedly proven himself to be a sucker for a damsel in distress.

I find Higgins strangely invigorating when he's in a military mood. He makes you want to spring off your chair and meet deadlines from a checklist like a possessed man.

Overall, I really liked the whole Kona theme and the femme fatale plot.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#39 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Tuan Vu wrote:This episode was well done but I was disappointed that Magnum jumped into bed with a married man's wife. I always liked Magnum because of his integrity, but this incident and the one before it in Deja Vu where he did a similar thing (although the husband had recently died) tainted the show for me.

By the way, the voice of the weather reporter on the radio is that of Larry Price, who along with Michael W. Perry, hosts the #1 radio show in Hawaii every morning. He has a distinctive voice and pronunciation that you can't mistake. Here he is on the far left: http://saturdaybriefing.outrigger.com/w ... rice-2.jpg
His accent sounds quite Hawaiian to me. Excuse my ignorance since I've never been to the islands - Do native haoles speak with a Hawaiian accent?

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Larry Price is most emphatically NOT a "native haole".

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Sisophous »

Sometimes I do not understand the member reviews. This episode was scored as Good? I thought it was among the worst, if not the worst.

First, aside from the storms, I could not make out what the heck was going on, only words about someone shooting someone and someone appearing angry. It is frustrating when it is impossible to figure out what the plot is. A woman dives into the ocean trying to commit suicide, Magnum sees it but dismisses it? Is Magnum all of a sudden dumbed down even when he sees what just happened? She jumped into the turbulent water.

And, not to be disrespectful, but the lead role played by Cynthia Sikes is downright awful. She is a 1972 Miss America Pageant and top 10 finalist so I can why she how she got her foot in the door to acting. Magnum falling for her and kissing her was about the most awkward thing I ever saw in this series, it is so forced it is painful.

I wonder at times why the director of this series chose the people they do for guest stars. The cast they select at times is absolutely sub par.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Tell us how you really feel about this episode Sisophous. ;)

I agree. It is a strange episode. But couldn't most of that be chalked to the "Kona Winds"? Magnum tells us at the very beginning:

"...the Kona Winds do more than whip the sea into a frenzy, they stir the blood and tear at the emotions, thrusting even temperate men into destinies they may later regret."

So right off the bat we know things are going to be a little off, bad acting and wooden kisses included. It does have a really good twist ending, though. So it has that going for it. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#43 Post by Doc Fred »

TankTop44 wrote:It did seem that Magnum had his feelings hurt by this woman, he seemed somewhat misty eyed at the end. Maybe he had fallen in love quickly or perhaps it was just the Kona winds blowing in his eyes!
I felt he was disappointed in himself for letting the witch trick him for as long as she did. Also, unlike the rest of you, I didn't see him as loving her, but that he was just scoring with a willing woman. And that went contrary to the philosophy he spoke many times about not mixing business with the pleasure of "entertaining" a woman client.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: The Kona Winds (6.4)

#44 Post by Doc Fred »

It seems the Kona Winds were used as the reason/excuse for Magnum's being so naive as to believe the story told to him by the gal he "rescued" from the ocean without any semblance of evidence. That's way out of character for him.

Right from the start, I thought she was conning him and trying to use him. I'm usually a very, very naive guy, but her falseness was obvious. I felt that way all the way through the episode, including when she seduced him just an hour or two (?) after he pulled her out of the ocean. You had to know she had some kind of devious plan. The ending?... it was predictable, and I saw it coming, but kinda thought Lt. Tanaka would be involved.

Magnum jumping into bed right away, and with a married woman was really disappointing. But, there's always the Kona Winds to blame. This showed a big flaw in Magnum's character, but also showed that he's prone to the same weaknesses and faults that so many are, and not a super hero.

Posters' comments about the grounds, washing machine, generator,... etc were quite entertaining and cogent.

I don't recall which episode we were discussing when the topic turned to a hot gal (Lady X) who showed up in many of the episodes without credits, someone who always seemed to be there to attract attention from Magnum... a great-looking brunette.. I think she was in this one, too, but no one mentioned noting here. She was Big Ed Kanakoa's girl at the KKC during Rick's party... I think. I don't know how to get screen shots, but it was at around the 35:00 mark, give or take.

Overall, I liked the concept of the main plot, although the twist at the end was predictable. Like another poster, I couldn't decide if Miss Sikes was gorgeous or ruined. She was really hot at the end of the show, I thought.

I gave the show a 7.
Last edited by Doc Fred on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#45 Post by Stelth »

AmandaByNight wrote: I think for me, the big problem is that Magnum's love interest isn't interesting at all. I'm not sure it's the actress or just the way she's written, but she's so serious and boring and a snooze. I can't ever figure out what it is about her that is so compelling.
This was a great episode but I thought Cynthia Sikes was rancid...not my type at all.