6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 94

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Sisophous »

Sometimes I do not understand the member reviews. This episode was scored as Good? I thought it was among the worst, if not the worst.

First, aside from the storms, I could not make out what the heck was going on, only words about someone shooting someone and someone appearing angry. It is frustrating when it is impossible to figure out what the plot is. A woman dives into the ocean trying to commit suicide, Magnum sees it but dismisses it? Is Magnum all of a sudden dumbed down even when he sees what just happened? She jumped into the turbulent water.

And, not to be disrespectful, but the lead role played by Cynthia Sikes is downright awful. She is a 1972 Miss America Pageant and top 10 finalist so I can why she how she got her foot in the door to acting. Magnum falling for her and kissing her was about the most awkward thing I ever saw in this series, it is so forced it is painful.

I wonder at times why the director of this series chose the people they do for guest stars. The cast they select at times is absolutely sub par.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Tell us how you really feel about this episode Sisophous. ;)

I agree. It is a strange episode. But couldn't most of that be chalked to the "Kona Winds"? Magnum tells us at the very beginning:

"...the Kona Winds do more than whip the sea into a frenzy, they stir the blood and tear at the emotions, thrusting even temperate men into destinies they may later regret."

So right off the bat we know things are going to be a little off, bad acting and wooden kisses included. It does have a really good twist ending, though. So it has that going for it. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#43 Post by Doc Fred »

TankTop44 wrote:It did seem that Magnum had his feelings hurt by this woman, he seemed somewhat misty eyed at the end. Maybe he had fallen in love quickly or perhaps it was just the Kona winds blowing in his eyes!
I felt he was disappointed in himself for letting the witch trick him for as long as she did. Also, unlike the rest of you, I didn't see him as loving her, but that he was just scoring with a willing woman. And that went contrary to the philosophy he spoke many times about not mixing business with the pleasure of "entertaining" a woman client.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: The Kona Winds (6.4)

#44 Post by Doc Fred »

It seems the Kona Winds were used as the reason/excuse for Magnum's being so naive as to believe the story told to him by the gal he "rescued" from the ocean without any semblance of evidence. That's way out of character for him.

Right from the start, I thought she was conning him and trying to use him. I'm usually a very, very naive guy, but her falseness was obvious. I felt that way all the way through the episode, including when she seduced him just an hour or two (?) after he pulled her out of the ocean. You had to know she had some kind of devious plan. The ending?... it was predictable, and I saw it coming, but kinda thought Lt. Tanaka would be involved.

Magnum jumping into bed right away, and with a married woman was really disappointing. But, there's always the Kona Winds to blame. This showed a big flaw in Magnum's character, but also showed that he's prone to the same weaknesses and faults that so many are, and not a super hero.

Posters' comments about the grounds, washing machine, generator,... etc were quite entertaining and cogent.

I don't recall which episode we were discussing when the topic turned to a hot gal (Lady X) who showed up in many of the episodes without credits, someone who always seemed to be there to attract attention from Magnum... a great-looking brunette.. I think she was in this one, too, but no one mentioned noting here. She was Big Ed Kanakoa's girl at the KKC during Rick's party... I think. I don't know how to get screen shots, but it was at around the 35:00 mark, give or take.

Overall, I liked the concept of the main plot, although the twist at the end was predictable. Like another poster, I couldn't decide if Miss Sikes was gorgeous or ruined. She was really hot at the end of the show, I thought.

I gave the show a 7.
Last edited by Doc Fred on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#45 Post by Stelth »

AmandaByNight wrote: I think for me, the big problem is that Magnum's love interest isn't interesting at all. I'm not sure it's the actress or just the way she's written, but she's so serious and boring and a snooze. I can't ever figure out what it is about her that is so compelling.
This was a great episode but I thought Cynthia Sikes was rancid...not my type at all.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Braddah Kimo »

.the Kona Winds do more than whip the sea into a frenzy, they stir the blood and tear at the emotions, thrusting even temperate men into destinies they may later regret."

JeeZeus! What a dumb thing ...a throwaway myth / plot device / excuse for Magnum to do something he usually doesn't in order to have a different story .obvious fabrication as we never hear about kona winds and its purported strange effect in any other ep, even though tradewinds and kona winds run alternately here, more so trade winds but when konas blow, we dont all of us suddenly turn into werewolves . Keerice, i don't believe that junk.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Braddah Kimo »

I'm going to have to watch the episode again listen for Larry price and look for da haka and. Look for the scene shot at the HIC. We never called it the neil blasedelll centrr. is always been referred to as the H.i.c. all these years .

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Stelth »

Braddah Kimo wrote:.the Kona Winds do more than whip the sea into a frenzy, they stir the blood and tear at the emotions, thrusting even temperate men into destinies they may later regret."

JeeZeus! What a dumb thing ...a throwaway myth / plot device / excuse for Magnum to do something he usually doesn't in order to have a different story .obvious fabrication as we never hear about kona winds and its purported strange effect in any other ep, even though tradewinds and kona winds run alternately here, more so trade winds but when konas blow, we dont all of us suddenly turn into werewolves . Keerice, i don't believe that junk.
Since you seem to know all about the real Hawaii, can you tell me if Kahunas' eyes really flash red?

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Please do not mock me.

(I can see you sniggering in the background while writing that)
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Braddah Kimo »

(and stop with the "seem": after kenji the "gardner" (whatever that could be) this site is overloaded topheavy with that word overused. Thank you.)

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Stelth »

I'm sorry if I seem to be mocking but I'm not...I really want to know.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Braddah Kimo »

oookay.
Contrary to popular belief that this is a fairly realistic Tv program, it is replete with fabrications unheard of in real life. Especially real life here in Hawai'i.
Kahuna eyes do not flash anything. Unless the particular individual has something different going on, or he/she makes it happen. That would be uncommon. Although for many kupuna, the age, wisdom, experience, spirituality shines through in their eyes and is quite noticeable, and moreso would it be with kahuna. Also kahuna are not out in the open parading about at beach clubs saying I am a Kahuna.. I am not saying Manu Tupou did this but really, you would not know a kahuna if he bumped into you. Unless you kama'aina, maybe. Kahuna are discrete, private, basically egoless souls. A concept wholly foreign to the western mind. In fact most all Polynesian concepts cannot be grasped by the western mindset. It is a time proven thing. That is one problem with Hawai'i based TV shows having exposure across the nation. Too many myths, misconceptions of our islands and culture are disseminated too freely. Then, when its time to learn the truth, many are forced to unlearn falsities and fallacies. And that doesn't go down to well.
Besides. Kahuna are found in all walks of life. Kahuna is/was a master of a particular craft. They are deeply respected for their dedication to their milieu and the word and concept is sacred and to see such a plethora of "big Kahuna" this and Big Kahuna that ... the word being overly commercialized, makes some of us cringe. We can thank the Gidget movies for the gestation of that abomination, and the base American cultural appropriation habit of its continuation through the decades.

No, there are no flashing eyes. Nor do we have kona winds transforming a man to a maniac or stirring the seas into a frenzy. Maybe the Kona storms do that to the waters. Any storm would.
Neither would we have any instances of British twits yelling at people offshore with the use of a bullhorn! Telling them to go away. No, we tell THEM to go away. Nor do we have local private investigators running about shooting at all and sundry while speeding around town dangerously, in the most ostentatious Italian import available, some guy with NO connections to da braddahs, or any rapport for that matter, with locals, all the while acting like a fresh off da boat haole with no sense of the islands or its culture or any grasp at all of its lingo!
Sorry. More than ya asked for. But take most everything Hollywood creates about our culture with a big dose of seasalt...

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Stelth »

Thank you for your response. To paraphrase; Magnum P.I. is a fictional depiction of non-Hawaiians living on Oahu who occasionally interact (rudely) with native Hawaiians in the 1980s.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Braddah Kimo »

hahahaaa. good un.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#55 Post by Doc Ibold »

Stelth wrote:Thank you for your response. To paraphrase; Magnum P.I. is a fictional depiction of non-Hawaiians living on Oahu who occasionally interact (rudely) with native Hawaiians in the 1980s.
Haha, I cracked up when I read this.