3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 94

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Kona Winds (6.4)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The Kona Winds (6.4). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 10/10/1985
Magnum falls head over heels for a woman he saved fromd drowning, but her dangerous relationship with her wealthy industrialist husband soon surfaces.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

A fun episode with a great climax. Two new indoor sets for Robin's Nest are seen - an upstairs room with a fireplace, and the laundry room. I love how the show sometimes surprises you with these new, or rarely seen, indoor sets for Robin's Nest. It feeds into the idea that the estate is really almost a character in and of itself.

This episode also has another one of those "Magnum Falls Instantly In Love" scenarios - Magnum meets lady in distress. Lady appears to be somewhat emotionally unstable. Magnum falls madly in love with the lady, almost instantaneously! Something tragic happens. Magnum's heart is broken. Roll credits. I mean, come on. They were both still wet from the ocean rescue, and TM was basically ready to marry to her!

I like how Magnum (and the show) acknowledges this character "flaw" of his, however, by the scene with him mumbling to himself, "Magnum, what are you doing? ... what are you doing?". At least he knows it's a problem. It could get him killed for crying out loud! ;)

Solid episode.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#3 Post by Shermy »

This is tied with Stalking Horse for my favorite Season 6 episode. I like the attempt to dabble in film noir as well as Magnum's opening narration about the Winds.

The credibility and pacing does suffer from the time restraints, but they cleverly use the Kona Winds metaphor to establish a sort of alternate reality. By admitting that, any other time and Magnum would not be duped, they allow the audience to suspend their disbelief.

This episode features one scene which really sticks out today, given the current fear of identity theft. When Magnum calls Charlie Brandon at his Australian hotel, Charlie is immediately suspicious. Yet...a few seconds later, he is freely giving his social security number to a complete stranger. :lol:

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

This "instantly falling in love" seems to be a trait shared by not only Thomas Magnum, but also Rick, TC and Higgins. Rick, however, is probably the most obvious.

In "Woman On The Beach", Rick falls for the woman on the beach posing as Sarah Clifford. He was with her for only a few minutes on the beach before she/or the ghost) disappears. Just prior to meeting the ghost of Sarah/or the imposter, he was waiting for his new love he had just met two or three days before, when he called to see where she was. The woman's roommate said she had gone off to get married. "When it's right, it's right."

In "Computer Date", Rick falls in love with another man's wife who has hired Magnum to do work for his company, and to find out if she's having an affair. Rick gets carried away as usual and wants her to go away with him. The female guest star, Nancy DeCarl, Rick falls in love with is actually Larry Manetti's wife in real life.

In Almost Home, you could see Rick sort of falling for the characher played by Kathleen Lloyd. His attraction to her was mainly because she was a street-smart, sports nut who knew the betting-line on all of the games. Rick won big on her advice regarding a basketball game.

In "All For One" Rick falls in love with a Vietnamese girl who tends to him after he was shot. Rick wanted to bring her back to the States and marry her. In a twist of irony, Rick himself put the kibosh on that after he shoots the girl's father, killing him.

In "A Little Bit Of Luck, A Little Bit Of Grief" Rick goes off of the deep-end after winning a $1,000,000 lottery. He instantly falls in love with a blonde who is conspiring with two hoods to steal some of his lottery winnings.

TC has also fallen in love rather quickly.

In "Black on White", TC falls for Bibi Kiamanhi (although nothing really happens between the two), who is actually an under cover agent trying to find out who is killing Higgins' fellow commrades who served with him during the Mau Mau Uprising in the 50's.

In Deja Vu, TC has a one-night stand with a wealthy Moroccan woman. The next morning he hints that he doesn't have to actually go to London and would like to stay. Unfortunately for TC, she sent him packing.

Higgins has even shown the tendency to fall in love instantly.

In "Tropical Maddness", Higgins falls for a much younger British woman who has been duped into getting close to Higgins for a reason other than what she has been told. Because of his feelings for this woman, Higgins slugs Magnum across the face after Magnum kisses her.

In "Letter To A Dutchess", Higgins falls for Vivian Brock Jones a/k/a Lady Wilkerson, after he meets her in a local British shop in Honolulu. Higgins had actually met her many years earlier during one of his campaigns, but did not really know her. Unfortunaely for Higgins, Lady Wilkerson has her sights set on the "Mag."

And of course, we are all aware of Magnum's exploits.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

IslandHopper wrote:In "Woman On The Beach", Rick falls for the woman on the beach posing as Sarah Clifford. He was with her for only a few minutes on the beach before she/or the ghost) disappears. Just prior to meeting the ghost of Sarah/or the imposter, he was waiting for his new love he had just met two or three days before
:lol:

This is actually one of the more believable times a character fell in love quickly, since it's obvious that Rick isn't experiencing anything deep or meaningful. I'm sure all of us have had a friend like this, or maybe even acted like that at one time or another.

I have to admit...oh, nevermind. :oops:

"I can't remember how many times he said he was in love." -Raoul Walsh, reflecting upon Errol Flynn

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Impressive IslandHopper! You're a real fan that's for sure! And you're right, they ALL kind of fall in love quickly, don't they?! Time can be hard to portray on TV, especially in one-hour drama's, but still.

T.C. had a great line in one early show. Rick comes to him at the Beach Bar and says "T.C., I think I'm in love!". T.C. looks at his watch and says "11 o'clock. I wondered how long it would take you to fall in love today!" LOL!

Shermy good point on the "Kona Winds" affecting Magnum's behavior. And you're right, Magnum's opening narration was fantastic!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#7 Post by IslandHopper »

Thanks James. As you and all of your subscribers know, MPI is a great show to watch for many reasons. It's easy to be a fan.

frog480
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by frog480 »

I liked this one allot, good mystery for TM to sort out, nicely tied in with comedy moments fom Rick and Higgins.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Rick: You do two things when a storm comes in. One, you lock your windows. Two, you lock your doors. Then you boogie, boogie, boogie until ya drop!

LOL!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:Rick: You do two things when a storm comes in. One, you lock your windows. Two, you lock your doors. Then you boogie, boogie, boogie until ya drop!

LOL!
That's 3 things. Chalk up another flub. Just kidding. :lol:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Check out the spread of sharks teeth T.C. has embedded in a pole at Island Hoppers....

:shock:

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'd hate to see the shark some of those teeth came out of. This was a good episode that had me fooled until the end. I may slow, or either they did an excellent job with the suspense.

Lt. Cook
Commander

#13 Post by Lt. Cook »

I really liked this one, It sets a cool vibe with his intro about the winds driving even temperate men to do things they wouldn't normally do. Also a cool twist at the end. I thought the scene where TM is caught at home with the wife, and tries to pull of the "I'm an inspector" was great, I could almost feel the tension. Another little touch I appreciated was when TM was trying to find the combo to the safe. The safe is supposed to freeze and sound an alarm if three wrong codes are entered. The typical move in a show would be to go all the way to the third try before finding the right code. In this case, TM gets it on the second try. I liked that they din't follow the expected pattern.

TankTop44
Commander

#14 Post by TankTop44 »

I was wondering why Thomas ripped off his shirt to jump in the ocean and save the lady. I didn't think it would add that much weight. However, he jumped in with his shoes on and came out wit bare feet, so the tides must have been strong enoght to rip his shoes off. I enjoyed he episode and loved how they tied nature in with life and choices. I will half to use Rick's philosophy of bogie bogie bogie when dealing with disasters, it seems a much more fun route. It did seem that Magnum had his feelings hurt by this woman, he seemed somewhat misty eyed at the end. Maybe he had fallen in love quickly or perhaps it was just the Kona winds blowing in his eyes!

jetranger
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#15 Post by jetranger »

Watched this one last night.

Anyone else notice the really poor editing about 15:20mins in when Magnum is kissing Lauren (stunning woman I have to say!!!). Was really noticeable as both actors positioning was quite different.

I did a double take as the editing during this part of the sequence looks like the high school work experience kid was let loose in the editing suite. Never seen anything like that on any other episode.

Great story though......enjoyed seeing Hawaii with some stormy weather (even if it was simulated) for a change.

Have to say the Australian accent from the receptionist was atrocious.....we don't actually sound like that do we? :lol: :lol: :lol: