3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 94

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Kona Winds (6.4)

#61 Post by terryfromkerry »

Blaming the weather was a weak way of trying to defend that it wasn't his fault.

Hey again SignGuy,

Enjoying your posts. In this instance I liked the way MPI very frequently paid homage to classic film noir. Weather conditions played an important atmospheric part in those old movies. I am thinking of Key Largo ( hurricane ), Casablanca ( fog bound and rain soaked runway ), etc. For me the storm, the winds , the waves & Magnum's out of character emotions worked. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#62 Post by SignGuyHPW »

terryfromkerry wrote:Blaming the weather was a weak way of trying to defend that it wasn't his fault.

Hey again SignGuy,

Enjoying your posts. In this instance I liked the way MPI very frequently paid homage to classic film noir. Weather conditions played an important atmospheric part in those old movies. I am thinking of Key Largo ( hurricane ), Casablanca ( fog bound and rain soaked runway ), etc. For me the storm, the winds , the waves & Magnum's out of character emotions worked. :)
I can see some emotions being out of character due to weather, but complete character rehaul is a bit of a stretch for me. Magnum dropping all pretense of professionalism to bed a married client so quickly just didn't seem like something he'd do.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#63 Post by Hawaii Winds »

IslandHopper wrote:This "instantly falling in love" seems to be a trait shared by not only Thomas Magnum, but also Rick, TC and Higgins. Rick, however, is probably the most obvious.

In "Woman On The Beach", Rick falls for the woman on the beach posing as Sarah Clifford. He was with her for only a few minutes on the beach before she/or the ghost) disappears. Just prior to meeting the ghost of Sarah/or the imposter, he was waiting for his new love he had just met two or three days before, when he called to see where she was. The woman's roommate said she had gone off to get married. "When it's right, it's right."

In "Computer Date", Rick falls in love with another man's wife who has hired Magnum to do work for his company, and to find out if she's having an affair. Rick gets carried away as usual and wants her to go away with him. The female guest star, Nancy DeCarl, Rick falls in love with is actually Larry Manetti's wife in real life.

In Almost Home, you could see Rick sort of falling for the characher played by Kathleen Lloyd. His attraction to her was mainly because she was a street-smart, sports nut who knew the betting-line on all of the games. Rick won big on her advice regarding a basketball game.

In "All For One" Rick falls in love with a Vietnamese girl who tends to him after he was shot. Rick wanted to bring her back to the States and marry her. In a twist of irony, Rick himself put the kibosh on that after he shoots the girl's father, killing him.

In "A Little Bit Of Luck, A Little Bit Of Grief" Rick goes off of the deep-end after winning a $1,000,000 lottery. He instantly falls in love with a blonde who is conspiring with two hoods to steal some of his lottery winnings.

TC has also fallen in love rather quickly.

In "Black on White", TC falls for Bibi Kiamanhi (although nothing really happens between the two), who is actually an under cover agent trying to find out who is killing Higgins' fellow commrades who served with him during the Mau Mau Uprising in the 50's.

In Deja Vu, TC has a one-night stand with a wealthy Moroccan woman. The next morning he hints that he doesn't have to actually go to London and would like to stay. Unfortunately for TC, she sent him packing.

Higgins has even shown the tendency to fall in love instantly.

In "Tropical Maddness", Higgins falls for a much younger British woman who has been duped into getting close to Higgins for a reason other than what she has been told. Because of his feelings for this woman, Higgins slugs Magnum across the face after Magnum kisses her.

In "Letter To A Dutchess", Higgins falls for Vivian Brock Jones a/k/a Lady Wilkerson, after he meets her in a local British shop in Honolulu. Higgins had actually met her many years earlier during one of his campaigns, but did not really know her. Unfortunaely for Higgins, Lady Wilkerson has her sights set on the "Mag."

And of course, we are all aware of Magnum's exploits.

Sounds like "Love is in the Air"...been watching some episodes of "Love Boat" filmed back in the eighties too, love seems the thing to do! Funny!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by Milton Collins »

J.J. Walters wrote:Rick: You do two things when a storm comes in. One, you lock your windows. Two, you lock your doors. Then you boogie, boogie, boogie until ya drop!

LOL!
Haha good quote! I about died when Rick said that line. I absolutely love this episode, one of my top ten episodes and I rated it accordingly @ 9.5! Some great parts 1) the beginning narration and scenes where Magnum found Laura jumping into the water 2) Higgins attitude towards the storm was hilarious. He and TM had a couple fantastic exchanges regarding Higgins approaching the storm as one would a war, loved it! 3) I liked the whole premise of the storm shutting down the island at times and Magnum having to sneak around office buildings, mansions, etc. gave it a good mysterious/creepy feel and I love those kinds of episodes. 4) great overall plot and twist at the end. I have watched this episode many times and can still appreciate the intricate plot and the fantastic twist at the end. Love it at the end when she thinks Sam is dead and that she has caught Magnum in her trap only to find out he had already figured it out beat her to the punch and told Sam. 5) Ed Konakona is played with another fun appearance by Dick Jensen who I really enjoyed as a reoccurring actor playing small roles. 6) Cynthia Sikes is definitely one of the babes of the series but also did a really good acting job playing the "poor abused wife" of the successful business man. She was very believable. Overall great episode, love it!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Milton Collins »

[quote="SignGuyHPW"
I can see some emotions being out of character due to weather, but complete character rehaul is a bit of a stretch for me. Magnum dropping all pretense of professionalism to bed a married client so quickly just didn't seem like something he'd do.[/quote]

I have to say I totally agree and as I've seen this one many times I've always thought that TM sleeping with his married client was WAY out of character! I do like his line as he opens the car door and walks around it in the rain saying "what am I doing I'm an idiot" lol! So he did himself recognize that he was acting kinds of crazy but I still don't think that some things he did in this episode fit his character. Good post SignGuyHPW!

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#66 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Milton Collins wrote:[quote="SignGuyHPW"
I can see some emotions being out of character due to weather, but complete character rehaul is a bit of a stretch for me. Magnum dropping all pretense of professionalism to bed a married client so quickly just didn't seem like something he'd do.

I have to say I totally agree and as I've seen this one many times I've always thought that TM sleeping with his married client was WAY out of character! I do like his line as he opens the car door and walks around it in the rain saying "what am I doing I'm an idiot" lol! So he did himself recognize that he was acting kinds of crazy but I still don't think that some things he did in this episode fit his character. Good post SignGuyHPW![/quote]
Thanks. It just struck me as lazy writing to say, "oh he was like that because of the storm." The bulk of the time saw Magnum trying to maintain some sort of professionalism with potential and current clients. Now, I can see Rick trying to bed a married cocktail waitress from the club...

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by Milton Collins »

SignGuyHPW wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:[quote="SignGuyHPW"

I have to say I totally agree and as I've seen this one many times I've always thought that TM sleeping with his married client was WAY out of character! I do like his line as he opens the car door and walks around it in the rain saying "what am I doing I'm an idiot" lol! So he did himself recognize that he was acting kinds of crazy but I still don't think that some things he did in this episode fit his character. Good post SignGuyHPW!
Thanks. It just struck me as lazy writing to say, "oh he was like that because of the storm." The bulk of the time saw Magnum trying to maintain some sort of professionalism with potential and current clients. Now, I can see Rick trying to bed a married cocktail waitress from the club...[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha great comment about Rick! And yes totally lazy writing and a strong variance from the normal Magnum (who is at the core a good and moraled person who wouldn't sleep with another man's wife!) This is part of why I've always liked Magnum so much, becuase he's a good dude deep down. And so is Rick but c'mon, we know Orville has his shady side lol!

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#68 Post by Mark R.Y. »

We have acknowledged this episode as a film noir tribute - it reminds me specifically as a twist on Body Heat or, going back to classic noir, Double Indemnity.

Cindy the secretary seemed to be channeling Teri Garr in her delivery! Very good scene. :)

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by KingKC »

After reading the full synopsis and all of the forum postings I can just barely remember this show actually airing. It must not have meant much to me when it originally aired! Heck I can remember more of the previous episode of old high school friends and dolphins than I can this one. I probably blocked out some of it because of what I will now call the "sleaze factor" of TM bedding down with Cynthia Sikes, who is not a favorite of mine. Frank Converse is not a bad actor though as I remember him in a truck driving show with Claude Akins in the 70s.

Come to think of it now that I look over the episode guide a lot of the 6th season seems to escape me at to the details. I remember the shows but not scenes or endings I think the 6th season was one of the weakest possibly because MPI had matured as a show and needed a boost that the episodes of the 7th season gave it. Maybe it was because of the years of Fall of 1985 and Spring of 1986 where I had a lot personal and work issues going on and maybe MPI wasn't as important to me. I know I never stopped watching it though and would love for some cable channel to start syndicated reruns again now that I am semi retired and not teaching night classes.

KingKC

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#70 Post by The Birdman »

I watched this episode the other day, then I googled "Kona winds". So in Hawaii the wind normally blows East to west, slightly from the north. These are called the tradewinds. The east side of the island are on the "windward" side and the west side is the leeward side. The east side of the islands are normally very wind battered and get heavy rain. So Kona winds are when the wind blows the opposite direction of normal and blows west to east, or south west to North east. So I knew where the real Anderson house is (was), the east side, so I came on here and looked to see where the fictional location is, North shore.
I could be totally wrong on this, but I think Kona winds would be battering the west side of islands, not the east or north side.
Uh PHRASING!!!!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#71 Post by ENSHealy »

AmandaByNight wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:11 pm OK, I love Frank Converse who plays the husband. LOVE him. He's sexy and it was great to see him on Magnum.
As a bald man, all I kept thinking was, "damn, that is some good hair."
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#72 Post by ENSHealy »

AmandaByNight wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:11 pm I'm not sure it's the actress or just the way she's written...
https://youtu.be/TO_OA9tQDAY

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by ENSHealy »

SignGuyHPW wrote: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:25 am Another thing that bothered me was that Magnum got referred to Mrs. Henderson as "the best" as far as private investigators goes, but her plan called for a "second rate p.i." to get caught up in the fight with her husband.
I went back and reviewed the dialogue. Technically, Big Ed doesn't refer to TM as "the best". He just says that "she was looking for a private eye" and "naturally, I turned her on to you." I suppose, though, that it is safe to assume that Big Ed thinks she's looking for a legit investigator, so he would only refer her to someone he had confidence in. Although who knows, maybe she did ask for a second-rate p.i. and "naturally, I turned her on to you." :D

The most shocking part of the scene, however, is that Thomas does not correct Big Ed when he says "private eye"!

Big Ed: I figured, if you can't bring Magnum to the party, then bring the party to Magnum.
Magnum: No thanks, Ed.
Big Ed: Hey, I couldn't let you get away without knowing if you heard from my boss's wife?
Magnum: What?
Big Ed: Sam Henderson's wife. I mean, she told me, you know, it was on the q.t., that she was looking for a private eye. Hey, naturally, I turned her on to you.
Magnum: When?
Big Ed: Oh, I think, must have been about a week ago. You mean, you never heard from her?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 6.4 The Kona Winds

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 2
Image Image
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum: 2
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play: 1
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 6
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/594168639

It seems like an awfully big risk to jump into surf like that just to sucker Magnum into her plot. I’m thinking if she had the brains to think up as convoluted a scam as she did, she could have come up with a less life-threatening way to reel in Magnum.

Also, judging by the muzzle flash, I'd say Magnum hit Sam in the knee (if it hadn't been a blank, that is....)
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Little Garwood »

ENSHealy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:02 pmIt seems like an awfully big risk to jump into surf like that just to sucker Magnum into her plot. I’m thinking if she had the brains to think up as convoluted a scam as she did, she could have come up with a less life-threatening way to reel in Magnum.
I suppose one’s enjoyment of The Kona Winds depends on whether or not the viewer accepts the story’s conceit, part of which is: “The Kona Winds[…] stir the blood and tear at the emotions, thrusting even temperate men into destinies they may later regret.”

It’s one of my favorite episodes. I appreciate the story’s homage to Raymond Chandler’s Red Wind, a story I read years ago, so when I reconnected with MPI some time after that, The Kona Winds became a lot more enjoyable for me. The episode is a nice break from Magnum’s usual “reality” and is best thought of as another of the series’ “fantasy” episodes, like the silly (but enjoyable) Flashback and the goody (but enjoyable) A.A.P.I.

Magnum, P.I. was littered with wonderful film noir and drawing room/cozy/etc. mysteries tributes; The Kona Winds is my favorite of those.

This episode also features my favorite of Magnum’s Aloha shirts: the one seen at the start of the show.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck