5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 76

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Round and Around (6.6)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Round and Around (6.6). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 10/24/1985
Tragedy strikes close to home when T.C.'s good friend is murdered, and it's up to Magnum to solve the mystery before an injustice is carried out.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#2 Post by Shermy »

A very surreal moment occurs near the end, as Ron Pennington Sr. (or rather, Bob Minor) literally returns from the grave to avenge his own death!! :lol:

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

Are you referring to Bob Minor, TC's stunt double fighting the bad guy in the beach shack? That is ironic. In watching that scene, I was surprised how much of a fight the bad guy put up against TC. By the way, wasn't that guy either "Wolfman" or "Hollywood" in the movie, TopGun, or am I mistaken?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Shermy wrote:A very surreal moment occurs near the end, as Ron Pennington Sr. (or rather, Bob Minor) literally returns from the grave to avenge his own death!! :lol:
Man, you're not kidding! What a bizarre, surreal situation! You've got this long fight scene where it's painfully obvious that the same guy who was killed early in the episode appears to have somehow transformed into T.C.'s body, and is slugging it out with two guys that inadvertently caused his own death! He's come back from the grave! It's so obvious that it's Bob Minor, and not Roger E. Mosley, that it almost throws you for a second - You almost think that maybe it really is supposed to be Ron! They were close friends after all. The show does have a subtle paranormal element to it, you know. ;)

Only on Magnum, folks. You'll never see this kind of stuff anywhere else! :)

Kind of strange that they would pick this episode to have a long fight scene (with lots of face shots) with Bob Minor! Still, awesome fight scene! And another good denouement - with T.C. and Magnum sitting on the bench together after playing hoops, and T.C. offering TM some of his gatoraide. I love how the show does these little touching scenes of friendship. Good stuff.

Most of the episode was pretty weak, however. Below average for sure.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by 308GTS »

Bizarre, it sure is. I watched this episode last night as this where I'm up to with the Season 6 DVD release. It was totally weird seeing T.C's stunt double in the body of Bob Minor and as James has pointed out it was almost too obvious, weird simply weird and not a very good episode overall.

Infact I'd say that Season 6 is pretty lacklustre so far. Roll on S7, I'm looking forward to 'Paper War'.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

frog480
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by frog480 »

I found this one really boring, I didn't notice the that the stuntman was the same fella playing TC's friend who was killed, but I did notice that it was a stuntman which in such a long scene was very annoying.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

The location - thanks to Sam - of the basketball courts in the beginning of this episode. The softball field from Squeeze Play (4.7) borders these courts.

Last edited by rubber chicken on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Little Garwood »

I rated this an 8.5 because of Roger's convincing (pre-fight) performance, when he's giving Ron, Jr. heck about his father's integrity and struggles with his job. I would rank "Round & Round" even higher if the fight wasn't so dragged out (and obviously a stuntman). That fight made some of those Selleck stuntman "appearances" positively sneaky by comparison. But yes, Roger's performance was excellent.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

I'm not positive, but I may have found the market where Ron is killed.

The street address number above the entrance says "3585". The name of the store is "Alohea Market" (which may be made-up). Now, 3585 Alohea Ave. is here. The building and surrounding area look like it could be it. Diamond Head is in the background which you can briefly see in the episode. The market is today known as the Fort Ruger market, which is supposed to have great poke.

Also, it appears that Kika's pedicab home base was filmed at one side of the McCoy Pavilion at Ala Moana Beach Park. The main part of the McCoy Pavilion was used in "Let Me Hear the Music" and "The Treasure of Kalaniopuu". Here is Magnum and T.C. as they leave Kika's place...

AMBP was used in several other scenes in the episode also, namely the scenes with Ronny Jr. and T.C..

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#10 Post by rubber chicken »

100% correct on both counts James, nice job! The scene where Ronny Jr. and TC are riding together on the pedicab are on Magic Island, but that's a part of Ala Moana Beach Park.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#11 Post by rubber chicken »

Some additional locations for this episode...

The Pennington home. (The light brown roofed house in the middle of the screen with the pool in back.)
Image Image

And Diamond Head Memorial Park aka cemetery (map). Also used in Beauty Knows No Pain ( 1.18 ) and Home From the Sea (4.1) (that I know of so far).
Image Image

Also found out in this Pacific Business News article that Fort Ruger Market has been around since 1972.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:Also found out in this Pacific Business News article that Fort Ruger Market has been around since 1972.
Ah! So they did change the name for the episode. I'm definitely gonna stop by this place next time I'm in the area (whenever that may be)!
Fort Ruger Market Menu wrote:pickled Maui onions, kiawe-smoked tako, fried ahi belly, teri ahi jerky, ogo kim chee, smoked marlin, taegu, boiled peanuts, bentos, sashimi-grade poke, haupia and poi. Also available is a variety of Hawaiian-style plate lunches stacked with laulau, kalua pig, lomilomi salmon and beef stew.
Mmmm!

And hey, nice job on the Pennington Home (and Cemetary)! How in the world did you find it?? :shock:

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#13 Post by rubber chicken »

That's a trade secret! Well ok, you twisted my arm. If you have an address number, then you can go to the Oahu property site and search for all the properties on Oahu with that number. This house's address number had 75 locations which I've learned to go through relatively quickly to see their general location. I had an idea where the house was, so anything near that I looked up in google maps to see if it worked with what's seen in the show. I have a system down so it doesn't take me too long.

And that list of food at Fort Ruger Market - except for beef stew, I think I can say I haven't ever had anything listed there. My horizons needs expanding.

grundle
Admiral

#14 Post by grundle »

Here's my idea for a Magnum episode...

It's early in the morning. Magnum is outside swimming in the tidal pool. Higgins is inside sleeping.

Magnum turns around, and he sees Mac, Michelle, his father, his half brother Joey, Diane Dupres, Dan Cooke, Rick's little sister, the little Vietnamese kid whose name he can't remember, Lt. Tanaka, Ron Pennington Jr., Reagan, JFK, Lincoln, Einstein, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Elmer Fudd, and Barack Obama's original 1961 long form birth certificate.

Then Magnum looks away. When he turns back around to look again, they're gone.

Magnum spends the rest of the episode trying to convince Higgins, T.C., Rick, Doc Ibold, and especially himself, that what he saw was real.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MACattack »

This episode is enjoyable if you imagine it as a Twilight Zone story. Ron's ghost comes back for revenge and possesses T.C.'s body for a brief moment.

This episode should be watched right after "Mac's back".
I just don't give a damn!