6.0 (Pretty Bad)
5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 76

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I thought this episode was pretty good...not one of the most memorable, but still a good one.

It was a heart-touching, poignant one for T.C.--and I thought Roger E. Mosley was excellent. Interesting plot twist at the end...first time I ever saw this I didn't see that coming. :o

The fight scene with Bob Minor, as supposedly T.C., was somewhat goofy and ridiculous...it's like he returned from the grave and possessed T.C.! That scene was not well thought out. :roll:

But, overall this is a good "serious" episode, and an enjoyable T.C. one for sure.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by miltontheripper »

Shermy wrote:A very surreal moment occurs near the end, as Ron Pennington Sr. (or rather, Bob Minor) literally returns from the grave to avenge his own death!! :lol:
Hah ha ha! I'm so glad that others noticed this. I laughed so hard when I noticed Ron Pennington coming back from the dead to avenge his death. Did anyone else find it odd that as tough and battle hardened as TC is that the young, much smaller druggie in the shack basically fought him to a draw until the last couple punches? I have a hard time believing that TC would have had that much trouble beating that guy up. Regardless, I think this is a pretty decent episode. I always love spotting a reacurring actor playing a different character and watching the three on three basketball in the beginning was priceless! You can tell Tom Selleck was a good player in real life.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#23 Post by Styles Bitchley »

miltontheripper wrote:Did anyone else find it odd that as tough and battle hardened as TC is that the young, much smaller druggie in the shack basically fought him to a draw until the last couple punches?
Yep, that just didn't fit. But I guess they were just looking for some extra tension.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Sisophous »

Just watched this one again.

A few things caught my attention.

1. TC is sitting in his car listening to the radio. It is none other than an imitation of the famous 80s American Sex Therapist, Dr. Ruth Westheimer who was a cultural icon at the time. Her limitless enthusiasm and having an accent only a psychologist could have made her a hit that decade.

2. The death of TCs friend from a random shooting inside the convenience store is almost surreal. TC seems actually nonchalant about it. Call it a case of poor acting by Roger Mosley or his amateurish skills, it seemed bizarre. Show some emotion or distress or some anger, but to act so emotionless when they are removing his friend in a body bag minutes later seemed surreal.

3. One of the best Higgins quotes ever in this series took place in this episode. While sitting in the Robin Master's library room, and Magnum and Higgins not facing each other:

Higgins: "Rick did call an hour ago to say the Chaps at the Chop Shop had no idea how to reach the House Boys who ditched the Continental".

Magnum: "It's Home Boys".

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#25 Post by Doc Fred »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Shermy wrote:A very surreal moment occurs near the end, as Ron Pennington Sr. (or rather, Bob Minor) literally returns from the grave to avenge his own death!! :lol:
Man, you're not kidding! What a bizarre, surreal situation! You've got this long fight scene where it's painfully obvious that the same guy who was killed early in the episode appears to have somehow transformed into T.C.'s body, and is slugging it out with two guys that inadvertently caused his own death! He's come back from the grave! It's so obvious that it's Bob Minor, and not Roger E. Mosley, that it almost throws you for a second - You almost think that maybe it really is supposed to be Ron! They were close friends after all. The show does have a subtle paranormal element to it, you know. ;)

Only on Magnum, folks. You'll never see this kind of stuff anywhere else! :)

Kind of strange that they would pick this episode to have a long fight scene (with lots of face shots) with Bob Minor! Still, awesome fight scene! And another good denouement - with T.C. and Magnum sitting on the bench together after playing hoops, and T.C. offering TM some of his gatoraide. I love how the show does these little touching scenes of friendship. Good stuff.

Most of the episode was pretty weak, however. Below average for sure.
Amen to that.... I was going to write about it, but y'all have done such a great job, it doesn't need repeating. That was eerie!
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Round and Around (6.6)

#26 Post by Doc Fred »

Just a few short comments...

I was disappointed TC wasn't more shaken by his friends death, especially considering he basically witnessed it. I don't blame Roger for that, as I feel certain it was how the script was written.

How did that mid-size guy stay with TC in the shack??? TC is a brute, and we've seen him in action taking down big, strong guys easily.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#27 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Doc Fred wrote:I was disappointed TC wasn't more shaken by his friends death, especially considering he basically witnessed it. I don't blame Roger for that, as I feel certain it was how the script was written.
They seem to have done this purposefully on Magnum. Maybe to keep the tone lighter somehow? I think it's even more pronounced when Rick's sister is killed in Distant Relative (Season 4).
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#28 Post by Doc Ibold »

Even Magnum was sort of meh about the whole thing. I think he was far more go getting with Kacey in "Wave Goodbye", and that relationship consisted of him basically just saying Hi to her on the beach a few times when he was jogging.

At least Ron and his wife knew Magnum well enough to have him over for dinner!

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by charybdis1966 »

For some reason this is the latest episode shown over here in the UK on ITV4 before we go back to "Don't eat the snow in Hawaii" strangely enough.

I concur with the view that there is cringeworthiness in the totally visible stunt double in the long drawn out fist fight but I should say this episode did try to be slightly different in that it focussed a bit more on family conflicts in a dysfunctional unit.

That being said I didn't particularly enjoy this attempt at "Little House on the Prairie" style preachiness although that probably says more about my shallowness than anything else - I just want neat plot twists, the Ferrari, beach babes and occasionally goofy comedy with TM/Higgy/Rick and TC.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#30 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Higgins on wheels:

'Death'

'Death'

'Death'

Anyone else noticed how TC turns up at the funeral with a girlfriend we never see before or after, not even during this episode?

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Milton Collins »

Boo and Boo! Gave it a 7.0 and that was generous.

What I liked:

- Always love the sports episodes as that's one of my fav character traits of TM. The opening scene with the pickup games is great. And you can also see that Tom Selleck had some game left from his day's of walking on at USC in college. I love that all three guys kept boyish hobbies such as playing/coaching sports. The speaker on the radio giving marital advice and bringing up Larry Bird is hilarious!

- This is a great TC episode, shows what a strong man and great friend/person he is by standing up for his friend Ron and trying to get his son's head strait.

What I didn't like:

- Why did they have to make the innocent old vietnamese man the killer? I liked the revenge factor of getting the young punks involved in drugs, this just seemed to detract from the episode that it wasn't them but rather the store owner and was an accident?

- The kid playing Ronny might be one of the worst actors to grace (or plague) the screen of Magnum PI. Was he even a real actor? The mom was good, Bob Minor was good, but that son was AWFUL and annoying!

- There is NO EXCUSE for that fight scene! I have seen it repeatedly brought up here but I have to again. Why.....Why did they do that? It was so obviously not Roger but Bob Minor it was almost physically painful!!! And your telling me two skinny doped up 18 year olds could go toe to toe like that with TC? The guys gotta be about 6' 1" 220 lbs of complete raw muscle, was a grisled Vietnam Vet, they had just contributed to the death of his friend, and we've seen him successfully fight in many, many, episodes. He would have mopped the floor with those two chumps! I'm going to go out on a limb and state that this is THE WORST fight scene of the entire series lol.

Not a terrible episode but very far from a good one in my opinion. But the beauty of Magnum is even the lower level episodes are still much better than most shows!

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#32 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
Anyone else noticed how TC turns up at the funeral with a girlfriend we never see before or after, not even during this episode?
I think that young woman was supposed to be Ron's daughter, Jan.

I liked this one more than many of you here - 8.5.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MaximRecoil »

That kid has to be the first person in TV or movie history to make a successful getaway on a pedicab. Those things weigh 150 pounds, about 5 times heavier than a typical bicycle. Of course, in reality, someone jumping on a pedicab while being chased on foot would guarantee they would caught. Not only are they very slow to get up to anything that could be called "speed", but they aren't particularly maneuverable. You won't be jumping any fences on one or even leaving the pavement. You'd be lucky to make it over a curb. Magnum and TC giving up the chase when the kid gets on a pedicab is more of a Twilight Zone moment than Ron Pennington coming back from the grave to avenge his own death.

I love the library room at Robin's Nest. Is that the first time they used that set? I know it's used again in Rapture. It's one of my favorite sets, along with the bunker-like room where the security system computer is kept (as seen in, e.g., Little Games, Paper War).

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Now it's been a while since I've seen this episode, and I'm not American so I don't know how or where this would vary, but wouldn't the robbers also be charged with felony murder, since the store owner would've never had to try and shoot had they not been there? Genuinely stumped on this. :?:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#35 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
miltontheripper wrote:Did anyone else find it odd that as tough and battle hardened as TC is that the young, much smaller druggie in the shack basically fought him to a draw until the last couple punches?
Yep, that just didn't fit. But I guess they were just looking for some extra tension.[/quote

StylesBitchley,
It can take 4 or 5 officers to subdue someone on certain drugs. Why? I'm glad you asked. In the normal course of things in a fight you
feel every blow and react to it both with your body and mentally.
But some drugged out Skel with all his adrenalin flowing can exert super human strength
in a brawl as he doesn't feel any pain, even if he is receiving a beat down that normally would stop him.
Also, the outsize power he uses at these times comes via brutally ripping up muscle tissue that would normally stop him in his tracks as he tosses a TC around.
Think the worst Charlie Horse or pulled muscle you ever got running on a playing field and it's 50 times worse for the Skel when the drug wears off.
Throw in the lumps he took from batons etc. that the police had to use on him, he is hurting. Ambulance chasers love these cases," look at his bruises, the
cops over reacted."

"The world was made in six days. You can ask me for anything but time"...Napoleon