5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 76

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: Round and Around (6.6)

#31 Post by Milton Collins »

Boo and Boo! Gave it a 7.0 and that was generous.

What I liked:

- Always love the sports episodes as that's one of my fav character traits of TM. The opening scene with the pickup games is great. And you can also see that Tom Selleck had some game left from his day's of walking on at USC in college. I love that all three guys kept boyish hobbies such as playing/coaching sports. The speaker on the radio giving marital advice and bringing up Larry Bird is hilarious!

- This is a great TC episode, shows what a strong man and great friend/person he is by standing up for his friend Ron and trying to get his son's head strait.

What I didn't like:

- Why did they have to make the innocent old vietnamese man the killer? I liked the revenge factor of getting the young punks involved in drugs, this just seemed to detract from the episode that it wasn't them but rather the store owner and was an accident?

- The kid playing Ronny might be one of the worst actors to grace (or plague) the screen of Magnum PI. Was he even a real actor? The mom was good, Bob Minor was good, but that son was AWFUL and annoying!

- There is NO EXCUSE for that fight scene! I have seen it repeatedly brought up here but I have to again. Why.....Why did they do that? It was so obviously not Roger but Bob Minor it was almost physically painful!!! And your telling me two skinny doped up 18 year olds could go toe to toe like that with TC? The guys gotta be about 6' 1" 220 lbs of complete raw muscle, was a grisled Vietnam Vet, they had just contributed to the death of his friend, and we've seen him successfully fight in many, many, episodes. He would have mopped the floor with those two chumps! I'm going to go out on a limb and state that this is THE WORST fight scene of the entire series lol.

Not a terrible episode but very far from a good one in my opinion. But the beauty of Magnum is even the lower level episodes are still much better than most shows!

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#32 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
Anyone else noticed how TC turns up at the funeral with a girlfriend we never see before or after, not even during this episode?
I think that young woman was supposed to be Ron's daughter, Jan.

I liked this one more than many of you here - 8.5.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by MaximRecoil »

That kid has to be the first person in TV or movie history to make a successful getaway on a pedicab. Those things weigh 150 pounds, about 5 times heavier than a typical bicycle. Of course, in reality, someone jumping on a pedicab while being chased on foot would guarantee they would caught. Not only are they very slow to get up to anything that could be called "speed", but they aren't particularly maneuverable. You won't be jumping any fences on one or even leaving the pavement. You'd be lucky to make it over a curb. Magnum and TC giving up the chase when the kid gets on a pedicab is more of a Twilight Zone moment than Ron Pennington coming back from the grave to avenge his own death.

I love the library room at Robin's Nest. Is that the first time they used that set? I know it's used again in Rapture. It's one of my favorite sets, along with the bunker-like room where the security system computer is kept (as seen in, e.g., Little Games, Paper War).

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Now it's been a while since I've seen this episode, and I'm not American so I don't know how or where this would vary, but wouldn't the robbers also be charged with felony murder, since the store owner would've never had to try and shoot had they not been there? Genuinely stumped on this. :?:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#35 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
miltontheripper wrote:Did anyone else find it odd that as tough and battle hardened as TC is that the young, much smaller druggie in the shack basically fought him to a draw until the last couple punches?
Yep, that just didn't fit. But I guess they were just looking for some extra tension.[/quote

StylesBitchley,
It can take 4 or 5 officers to subdue someone on certain drugs. Why? I'm glad you asked. In the normal course of things in a fight you
feel every blow and react to it both with your body and mentally.
But some drugged out Skel with all his adrenalin flowing can exert super human strength
in a brawl as he doesn't feel any pain, even if he is receiving a beat down that normally would stop him.
Also, the outsize power he uses at these times comes via brutally ripping up muscle tissue that would normally stop him in his tracks as he tosses a TC around.
Think the worst Charlie Horse or pulled muscle you ever got running on a playing field and it's 50 times worse for the Skel when the drug wears off.
Throw in the lumps he took from batons etc. that the police had to use on him, he is hurting. Ambulance chasers love these cases," look at his bruises, the
cops over reacted."

"The world was made in six days. You can ask me for anything but time"...Napoleon

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#36 Post by nha trang »

I am doing my second series complete rewatch and just finished watching this episode again. It really is a pretty good episode, but definitely has its share of flaws as well...

First, it seems to me that they always lay these "heavy trip" episodes on T.C. which is odd because his character is always so energetic...

This episode also continues the film noir / 40s detective / raymond chandler thread that has developed since the prior Season 6 episode "Kona Winds." I have since become interested in finding out more about what film noir is and its connection to the show.

This episode also shows the rare Masters library! Plus I always enjoyed the basketball episodes reminds me of growing up

and last but not least :magnum: , the longest fight scene in T.V. history when T.C.'s deceased friend, who is the only subject of the plot, accidentally reappears after his own funeral to fight the beach bum druggies...and jay said in this thread that there was no comedy? I had side-splitting laughter and the fight scene went on for so long that I had a chance to catch my breath and not find it funny anymore only for Mr. Minor to reapper and make me lose my cool with laughter again...not since CIA waldo child's play like stunt double spectacle have we seen such a hillarious stunt double fight...but in all honesty I wouldn't have it any other way - I am a die hard fan even the flubs are gold! I wonder how much precious film they burned on the fight scene? In all fairness, I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't read the episode guide prior to watching the episode!

An underrated episode!

Nha Trang

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 6.6 Round and Around

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections: 1
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/601238214

No Lemons Rental Cars returns!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this one again some six years after I originally commented on this episode:
charybdis1966 wrote: Tue May 06, 2014 2:51 pm For some reason this is the latest episode shown over here in the UK on ITV4 before we go back to "Don't eat the snow in Hawaii" strangely enough.

I concur with the view that there is cringeworthiness in the totally visible stunt double in the long drawn out fist fight but I should say this episode did try to be slightly different in that it focussed a bit more on family conflicts in a dysfunctional unit.

That being said I didn't particularly enjoy this attempt at "Little House on the Prairie" style preachiness although that probably says more about my shallowness than anything else - I just want neat plot twists, the Ferrari, beach babes and occasionally goofy comedy with TM/Higgy/Rick and TC.
My view has altered a bit, but first things first, when I saw the title flash up I immediately thought of this song which was released the year before (1984) this episode aired.

https://youtu.be/0u8teXR8VE4

I love a little bit of hair metal, but not too much. By coincidence did anyone notice the poster of Eddie Van Halen in the empty bedroom of the Sammy Garns character ?

Anyway, back to my changed view and it mainly centres on the preachiness I saw back in my 2014 comment.
I saw two main themes that, with a bit more life experience, I can appreciate now.

Firstly dealing with grief; TC's face when he appeared at the door of his recently murdered friends house was so effective and I think Roger Mosely played that exactly right - in my view he would have seen friends/comrades being killed in combat and has had to deal with the deaths before. I know I've seen accusations of over acting from Roger on this board in the past but I think here he got it exactly right. His face mirrored that of one of my nephews when he told me of my fathers passing.

Secondly the theme of opportunity and being from a disadvantaged background. TM's visit to Sammy Garns' house was quite sad especially the look on his mothers face; I now can sympathise with her when she said words to the effect of "if you catch up with him (Sammy) you do what you have to do" - the feeling of helplessness in preventing her children making bad life choices. The actress in that scene got the pathos spot on. The contrast of Sammy and TC's friends son who had differing home environments but still appeared to be heading down a self destructive path was effective and also relatable to me.

This episode made me think and for that I would upgrade my rating if it were possible despite the high visibility of Bob Minor as the stunt double for TC in the climactic fight sequence (as someone who has been involved in a scuffle with someone high on drugs I concur with who commented earlier in the tread that addicts need more people to subdue them than sobre miscreants).