2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 96

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#21 Post by Doc Ibold »

Jay,

While your reviews are spot on and awesome, you are violating a VERY basic tenet of Magnum Mania.

We NEVER speak the name of "You Know Who".

LOL

(I'm back... and I figure before I pass out from Jet Lag, I'd try to catch up with whats been goin on the past two weeks!)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

What, did they let you out early for good behavior or something? ;)

Just kidding Doc! Where did you go? Someplace tropical I bet.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#23 Post by Doc Ibold »

Just got back from 11 days in Maui.

Learned to surf, went scuba dving and "surfskied" (actually kayaked).

SOOOO relaxed.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#24 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Sounds like a geat time Doc!

John.1962
Commander

#25 Post by John.1962 »

I watched this episode last night. My "Magnum Days" are centered on the first three years and then I lost touch when I got married and had kids, etc. So when I watch anything past the 4th season (managed to sneak a few episodes) it's new. It was only the second time watching this episode, but hey, I think it's great!

What I like is it makes Thomas Magnum even more human as a character (family issues, hurts, forgiveness). Even Magnum being Magnum is not enough for his family, he needs to be humble and forgiving and receive forgiveness. A lesson for me!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Raise your hand if you recognize the face, but can't name the actress...

Irene Tedrow.

Her television credits read like the Complete Encyclopedia of TV; The Red Skelton Hour to L.A. Law with pretty much every relevant show in between! Leave It to Beaver, Rawhide, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Twilight Zone, Dennis the Menace, Perry Mason, The Andy Griffith Show, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Family Affair, Bonanza, Banacek, The Six Million Dollar Man, Columbo, The Streets of San Francisco, Charlie's Angels, Mary Tyler Moore, The Rockford Files, Quincy, Three's Company... and on and on. An incredible six decade career! She didn't have many lead roles, but by golly she should have! :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#27 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nice investigating James. There are quite a few of these actors that did the circuit with bit roles all over the place. Irene certainly was a master of this craft. I remember the Three's Company episode.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by AmandaByNight »

salmon58 wrote:I love this episode. Especially two scenes - Billy saying goodbye to grandpa and Thomas saying goodbye to Joey. Who knew that when TM was talking to Billy about saying goodbye to grandpa that he was actually still dealing with Joey?

Other reasons that are purely personal for liking this episode:

- I'm not sure I've ever really said goodbye to my dad and he died more than 20 years ago. Not sure that I want to.

- I was too young for Viet Nam but my uncle lost his brother. I finally saw the Memorial last year and found his name. That was a moving experience. The whole setting is profoundly moving, regardless of your feelings about the validity of the war.
I totally agree with this. I lost both of my parents about five years ago and my grandpa and brother-in-law a little afterwards, and episodes like this effect me far more deeply than they did when I originally saw them. I think this is a simple, understated episode that is extremely effective because it's so human and real. I loved the twist with the little boy holding onto the expensive memento and how the whole episode was about finding closure.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#29 Post by nha trang »

I had just finished watching this episode when I was reminded that it was my grandfather's birthday, who has passed away several years ago...wow

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by AmandaByNight »

This is a beautiful, poignant episode. I love the "twist" at the end with the little kid being the culprit. When Magnum helps the kid deal with his loss, he is able to handle his own. It's such a personal, under the radar episode.

I haven't seen this one in forever, but when I start revisiting the show in the early 2000s, I remember how moved I was by this episode.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

AmandaByNight wrote:This is a beautiful, poignant episode. I love the "twist" at the end with the little kid being the culprit. When Magnum helps the kid deal with his loss, he is able to handle his own. It's such a personal, under the radar episode.
I couldn't agree more, Amanda. That whole scene with Magnum and Billy in the tree house is really well done. It's incredibly moving and heartfelt. I'm moved to tears every time I watch it, crying along with Magnum and Billy as they learn together to say goodbye to someone they love (grandpa and Joey).

Billy: I don't know how to say goodbye.
Magnum: I don't either... Maybe we could figure out a way together.

And now we must never speak of him again. ;)

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#32 Post by nha trang »

Amanda, are you watching the season's chronilogically? I happen to see your comments on several seasons 6 episodes...

:)

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by AmandaByNight »

nha trang wrote:Amanda, are you watching the season's chronilogically? I happen to see your comments on several seasons 6 episodes...

:)
You know, I haven't watched them in awhile. Retro TV quit airing them and I moved and can only find a few of my DVDs. I end up just posting wherever I see an episode where I feel like I can add something... It's interesting that you mention Season 6. I hadn't noticed. I always thought the 5th Season was my favorite. I should look into that! :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#34 Post by Styles Bitchley »

What is it with 80s TV shows and kids named "Joey"???

Every show at some point has a little Joey turn up at some point.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Tuan Vu
Captain

#35 Post by Tuan Vu »

Wow, so far having seen the first five seasons (and now watching the sixth season on DVD), this is my second favorite episode (next to the one where Magnum treads water)!

This is an example of why Magnum, p.i. is so different. It was just not another private detective or crime series where a crime is solved and that's it. Magnum, p.i. gave us such poignant shows like this one.

For me, it was kind of shocking to discover that Magnum hadn't seen his mother in 15 years. Even though he did not get along with Frank, it seemed inconceivable to me that Magnum would not see his mother for that long in spite of his feelings about Frank.

It was also odd that we did not see the reunion between mother and son. For awhile, I was confused as to who that lady was until I realized that it was Thomas Magnum's mother!

This episode really resonated with me because of the conflicts in my family are similar. Like Magnum's family, our family is broken and many years have gone by without seeing my brother. I suspect there is much similar heartaches in countless families.

Anyway, I think the reason why this show was my favorite is because it had a lot of heart. The interaction with Magnum and Billy was heart-warming where Magnum is telling Billy about his father. And of course the final scene was perfect. I gave this episode a 10!