2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 96

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#41 Post by Mark R.Y. »

So the Big Lebowski is Magnum's stepdad! :P

I don't mind that we only learn about Frank and Joey at this late point. When watching the series the first time, these are facts about Magnum that we keep learning - that deepen his character. And then when rewatching all 8 seasons, we can place these facts in context with the earlier episodes.

Nice change of pace episode. 9.0

snp389
Captain

#42 Post by snp389 »

I reckon this ep is one of the better one's. We see a particular look into TSM's past, especially after "HOME FROM THE SEA". Another great show, that displays TSM's honesty into his love for his mother and father, and his desire to serve his country, and follow his Dad, and his heart.

lanceroten
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#43 Post by lanceroten »

Good episode. Another one where they bring out a poignant song, by of course Joe Cocker, at the end. Writers etc could really bring out the songs for some of the Magnum episodes. .

snp389
Captain

#44 Post by snp389 »

It's a pity we never hear of Joey, TSM's younger half-brother in any previous nor later episodes.
The scene at the end at 'The Wall' is particulatly poingnant! Obviously Joey loved his older brother, and wanted to be just like him; and TSM loved his younger brother too, and felt he had to protect him.
A great ep this one, I reckon. A total 'info' show for fans.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Sisophous »

I was surprised at all the high ratings this episode got in the poll. This episode has an empty feeling and does not feel like a Magnum episode. No Higgins, no TC, no Rick, no Robin's estate, no lads, no Hawaii, no Ferrari, no humor, no attractive women, it just doesn't feel right.

For some reason I think some of the cast needed time off from shooting and they decided to just give everyone off but Tom Selleck. Why not include any of the regular cast at least for a short segment?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#46 Post by Doc Ibold »

I agree. Save for the Joey reveal (We must never speak of him again).. This one is a real dud for me. One of two episodes I skip in my Magnum workout rotation. The other being "Find Me A Rainbow".

I was kind of bummed out when Resolutions spent so much time with his family. I thought the wrap up could be better used elsewhere. That being said, Gwen Verdon was really well cast as Magnums mom.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Steve »

I recall seing this on TV when it first aired and thinking I must have missed an episode earlier in the series explaining the entire Frank, Joey Peterson story line. Funny how years later with the advent of the episode guides I discovered that the episode just came to be with no background explanation.....A deus ex machina in a series that strived to develop interesting characters and stay true to their backgrounds (of course there was also the whole Robin Masters/Higgins story line that seemingly came out of nowhere as well).
I love Mark R.Y's post...the Big Lebowski is Magnum's stepdad! one of the best comments on this episode........

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Going Home (6.7)

#48 Post by Doc Fred »

I liked this episode for a variety of reasons and gave it a 9.

I am a big fan of the "going home" and "family" oriented episodes, and seeing some history and hints of history of Magnum's past, and perhaps some clues as to why he ended up where he did.

As others have said, the scene at the Vietnam Memorial is VERY emotional. If you haven't been there to see it, and you're in the DC area, you owe it to yourself, even if you see nothing else. Seeing it brings back the time over there, and thinking of those friends who died there. Seeing friends' names on the wall always brings emotion and tears.... and thoughts of despisement for a certain famous actress. The scene at the end was so well played by Tom Selleck.

One note about the wall in the show. Right above Joey Petersen's name on the wall, I happened to note the name James Shurley... and later, a member of the production staff named Bruce Shurley. I wondered if that was intentional, and if it was done to commemorate the memory of a relative of Bruce Shurley who died in Nam.

I also wondered if the name Joey Petersen was chosen from the wall because of it's proximity to James Shurley, and thus the family name of Petersen in the show. More wondering... were those names really on the wall, or not?

The scene with Magnum bringing back the little boy was excellent...

Julie Cobb was a fine-looking lady.

One flub.... When they were at the airport in "Tidewater", you can see mountains in the background. There are no mountains near Tidewater.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Smilinjack445
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#49 Post by Smilinjack445 »

Last edited by Smilinjack445 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Fred
Admiral

#50 Post by Doc Fred »

Smilinjack445 wrote:I believe the wall shown in the episode was created in the studio.There is no Joey Petersen or James Shurley on the wall.

http://www.virtualwall.org/ds/0s.htm
Thank you. I was unaware of that site... it will bring sadness to look at the names, and more to find friends.

I tried to reply to your message, but not sure if it got through... please let me know, as I don't want you to think I ignored you...
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Stelth »

This episode was a change of pace to be sure but it was too soap-operaesque for me to love it. And regarding David Huddleson (Frank) : to me, Magnum's step-dad will always be Olson Johnson from Blazing Saddles:[in the bar discussing Pastuer's possible cure] Never mind that shit! Here comes Mongo!
And the bonus Magnum connection was that Higgins(Howard Johnson) was the one discussing Pastuer!
Last edited by Stelth on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#52 Post by marlboro »

So the moral of the story is that it's ok for you to marry a verbally abusive bully who treats you and your family like dirt as long as you're in love. Oh, and everyone in your family has to act just like a doormat for the buffoon just like you do.

"This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

Magnum should have pounded that hectoring loudmouth into jelly in that boxing scene.

I hated this episode. It managed to feel like less of a Magnum episode than "Two Birds of a Feather."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#53 Post by Doc Ibold »

marlboro wrote:So the moral of the story is that it's ok for you to marry a verbally abusive bully who treats you and your family like dirt as long as you're in love. Oh, and everyone in your family has to act just like a doormat for the buffoon just like you do.

"This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

Magnum should have pounded that hectoring loudmouth into jelly in that boxing scene.

I hated this episode. It managed to feel like less of a Magnum episode than "Two Birds of a Feather."
I feel the same way. When I watch it, I usually skip to the last :15 which makes the episode and explains a lot about his past and the fact that war has taken so much from him in terms of his wife, father and brother and numerous other friends.

Robmagnum0967
Ensign

#54 Post by Robmagnum0967 »

Awesome Episode one of the best . Vietnam Memorial at the end was wonderful. Emotional and awesome episode. Shows what a great guy an depth of character that Tom Selleck has. He has always been one of my favorite actors

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#55 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a very odd episode in that there wasn't really an investigation, there were a whole new set of characters introduced, a lot of backstory not really pertaining to the main gist of the series.

This was a bit of a confusing episode as there were mostly brand new characters talking about non established parts of Magnum's past as if it were all common knowledge. The painting of the step father as abusive was kind of a dark way to go with it.

It was kind of unique to show Magnum's family. It was well acted even if the characters were largely unknown. It was interesting that they said Magnum hadn't been back home in 15 years and never to the Hall yet it seems like he would've been to DC on naval buisness during his run with intelligence.