6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 96

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

AmandaByNight wrote:This is a beautiful, poignant episode. I love the "twist" at the end with the little kid being the culprit. When Magnum helps the kid deal with his loss, he is able to handle his own. It's such a personal, under the radar episode.
I couldn't agree more, Amanda. That whole scene with Magnum and Billy in the tree house is really well done. It's incredibly moving and heartfelt. I'm moved to tears every time I watch it, crying along with Magnum and Billy as they learn together to say goodbye to someone they love (grandpa and Joey).

Billy: I don't know how to say goodbye.
Magnum: I don't either... Maybe we could figure out a way together.

And now we must never speak of him again. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#32 Post by nha trang »

Amanda, are you watching the season's chronilogically? I happen to see your comments on several seasons 6 episodes...

:)

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by AmandaByNight »

nha trang wrote:Amanda, are you watching the season's chronilogically? I happen to see your comments on several seasons 6 episodes...

:)
You know, I haven't watched them in awhile. Retro TV quit airing them and I moved and can only find a few of my DVDs. I end up just posting wherever I see an episode where I feel like I can add something... It's interesting that you mention Season 6. I hadn't noticed. I always thought the 5th Season was my favorite. I should look into that! :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#34 Post by Styles Bitchley »

What is it with 80s TV shows and kids named "Joey"???

Every show at some point has a little Joey turn up at some point.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Tuan Vu
Captain

#35 Post by Tuan Vu »

Wow, so far having seen the first five seasons (and now watching the sixth season on DVD), this is my second favorite episode (next to the one where Magnum treads water)!

This is an example of why Magnum, p.i. is so different. It was just not another private detective or crime series where a crime is solved and that's it. Magnum, p.i. gave us such poignant shows like this one.

For me, it was kind of shocking to discover that Magnum hadn't seen his mother in 15 years. Even though he did not get along with Frank, it seemed inconceivable to me that Magnum would not see his mother for that long in spite of his feelings about Frank.

It was also odd that we did not see the reunion between mother and son. For awhile, I was confused as to who that lady was until I realized that it was Thomas Magnum's mother!

This episode really resonated with me because of the conflicts in my family are similar. Like Magnum's family, our family is broken and many years have gone by without seeing my brother. I suspect there is much similar heartaches in countless families.

Anyway, I think the reason why this show was my favorite is because it had a lot of heart. The interaction with Magnum and Billy was heart-warming where Magnum is telling Billy about his father. And of course the final scene was perfect. I gave this episode a 10!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by AmandaByNight »

Tuan Vu wrote:Wow, so far having seen the first five seasons (and now watching the sixth season on DVD), this is my second favorite episode (next to the one where Magnum treads water)!

This is an example of why Magnum, p.i. is so different. It was just not another private detective or crime series where a crime is solved and that's it. Magnum, p.i. gave us such poignant shows like this one.

For me, it was kind of shocking to discover that Magnum hadn't seen his mother in 15 years. Even though he did not get along with Frank, it seemed inconceivable to me that Magnum would not see his mother for that long in spite of his feelings about Frank.

It was also odd that we did not see the reunion between mother and son. For awhile, I was confused as to who that lady was until I realized that it was Thomas Magnum's mother!

This episode really resonated with me because of the conflicts in my family are similar. Like Magnum's family, our family is broken and many years have gone by without seeing my brother. I suspect there is much similar heartaches in countless families.

Anyway, I think the reason why this show was my favorite is because it had a lot of heart. The interaction with Magnum and Billy was heart-warming where Magnum is telling Billy about his father. And of course the final scene was perfect. I gave this episode a 10!
I really like the consitency (sp?) of Magnum and how he dealt with the death of his father. It's not pounded over your head, but if you're a regular watcher, you get a real sense of sadness and longing regarding his dad. There were so many poignant moments on the show.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I really like Gwen Verdon as Magnum's mom...I thought she did a superb job in that role!

However, I am not a fan of this episode! To me (somewhat like "Home From the Sea") it's very sad and depressing. :?

All of my grandparents are now passed on as well...and I remember my grandfather's funeral. It was not cool! Death and/or funerals are never favorite topics for episodes/movies for me--too real. :wink:

Then enter the fat, loud-mouthed, verbally abusive piece of crap of a 2nd husband of Magnum's mom's! :x He reminds me sooo much of my aunt's loser 2nd husband---he even looks like the guy in this episode!

My aunt ended up divorcing the turd a couple years ago (finally!!)...but not before a lot of hurt and "destruction" within the family was done. :? I try watching "Going Home" and I actually start getting angry while watching and listening to Magnum's step-dad...as he reminds me so much of how my aunt's 2nd husband treated everyone...except he actually was probably worse than Magnum's step-dad.

All of these things combined just ruin this episode for me. Therefore, I rated this one "Not So Good"...for me it isn't. :evil:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#38 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:I really like Gwen Verdon as Magnum's mom...I thought she did a superb job in that role!

However, I am not a fan of this episode! To me (somewhat like "Home From the Sea") it's very sad and depressing. :?

All of my grandparents are now passed on as well...and I remember my grandfather's funeral. It was not cool! Death and/or funerals are never favorite topics for episodes/movies for me--too real. :wink:

Then enter the fat, loud-mouthed, verbally abusive piece of crap of a 2nd husband of Magnum's mom's! :x He reminds me sooo much of my aunt's loser 2nd husband---he even looks like the guy in this episode!

My aunt ended up divorcing the turd a couple years ago (finally!!)...but not before a lot of hurt and "destruction" within the family was done. :? I try watching "Going Home" and I actually start getting angry while watching and listening to Magnum's step-dad...as he reminds me so much of how my aunt's 2nd husband treated everyone...except he actually was probably worse than Magnum's step-dad.

All of these things combined just ruin this episode for me. Therefore, I rated this one "Not So Good"...for me it isn't. :evil:

I agree with some of your points, especially about Frank Peterson (like the piece of crap description, dead on!) . I think this would have been a decent episode as it was cool to learn TM's family history but this fat, annoying, loudmouth ruins this one for me. You can talk about Waldo Norris or Basketball Willie or whoever you want, in my opinion he is the most annoying, worthless character to ever appear on Magnum. I SOOOO wanted Thomas to slug him when he had the boxing gloves on and was jabbing at him. I think that or TM giving Frank a beating when Frank shows them his new plane (or when finding out about him dishonestly taking a loan out on the house!) would have been awesome! I do like the tribute to Viet Nam in this one, what a classic ending! Unfortunately I give this one a 6.0 and wouldn't even care to watch it again except I'm watching chronologically.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#39 Post by Styles Bitchley »

miltontheripper wrote:You can talk about Waldo Norris or Basketball Willie or whoever you want, in my opinion he is the most annoying, worthless character to ever appear on Magnum. I SOOOO wanted Thomas to slug him when he had the boxing gloves on and was jabbing at him.
But isn't that the point? We all want to smack the prick...which to me says the character is serving his purpose. Or is it just so much for you that you can't enjoy it? I know that happens to me sometimes. Still, I think it's different than the sort of annoyances we encounter with Willie or Waldo...or, dare I say, Luther.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#40 Post by miltontheripper »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
miltontheripper wrote:You can talk about Waldo Norris or Basketball Willie or whoever you want, in my opinion he is the most annoying, worthless character to ever appear on Magnum. I SOOOO wanted Thomas to slug him when he had the boxing gloves on and was jabbing at him.
But isn't that the point? We all want to smack the prick...which to me says the character is serving his purpose. Or is it just so much for you that you can't enjoy it? I know that happens to me sometimes. Still, I think it's different than the sort of annoyances we encounter with Willie or Waldo...or, dare I say, Luther.
Ha ha, yes I think we just came up with the "bad character hall of fame" list. No matter what I always enjoy Magnum and the majority of the characters are great! Your right that Frank played a really good jerk which was the point, he just drove me crazy lol!

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#41 Post by Mark R.Y. »

So the Big Lebowski is Magnum's stepdad! :P

I don't mind that we only learn about Frank and Joey at this late point. When watching the series the first time, these are facts about Magnum that we keep learning - that deepen his character. And then when rewatching all 8 seasons, we can place these facts in context with the earlier episodes.

Nice change of pace episode. 9.0

snp389
Captain

#42 Post by snp389 »

I reckon this ep is one of the better one's. We see a particular look into TSM's past, especially after "HOME FROM THE SEA". Another great show, that displays TSM's honesty into his love for his mother and father, and his desire to serve his country, and follow his Dad, and his heart.

lanceroten
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#43 Post by lanceroten »

Good episode. Another one where they bring out a poignant song, by of course Joe Cocker, at the end. Writers etc could really bring out the songs for some of the Magnum episodes. .

snp389
Captain

#44 Post by snp389 »

It's a pity we never hear of Joey, TSM's younger half-brother in any previous nor later episodes.
The scene at the end at 'The Wall' is particulatly poingnant! Obviously Joey loved his older brother, and wanted to be just like him; and TSM loved his younger brother too, and felt he had to protect him.
A great ep this one, I reckon. A total 'info' show for fans.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Sisophous »

I was surprised at all the high ratings this episode got in the poll. This episode has an empty feeling and does not feel like a Magnum episode. No Higgins, no TC, no Rick, no Robin's estate, no lads, no Hawaii, no Ferrari, no humor, no attractive women, it just doesn't feel right.

For some reason I think some of the cast needed time off from shooting and they decided to just give everyone off but Tom Selleck. Why not include any of the regular cast at least for a short segment?