2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 96

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Going Home (6.7)

#51 Post by Stelth »

This episode was a change of pace to be sure but it was too soap-operaesque for me to love it. And regarding David Huddleson (Frank) : to me, Magnum's step-dad will always be Olson Johnson from Blazing Saddles:[in the bar discussing Pastuer's possible cure] Never mind that shit! Here comes Mongo!
And the bonus Magnum connection was that Higgins(Howard Johnson) was the one discussing Pastuer!
Last edited by Stelth on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#52 Post by marlboro »

So the moral of the story is that it's ok for you to marry a verbally abusive bully who treats you and your family like dirt as long as you're in love. Oh, and everyone in your family has to act just like a doormat for the buffoon just like you do.

"This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

Magnum should have pounded that hectoring loudmouth into jelly in that boxing scene.

I hated this episode. It managed to feel like less of a Magnum episode than "Two Birds of a Feather."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#53 Post by Doc Ibold »

marlboro wrote:So the moral of the story is that it's ok for you to marry a verbally abusive bully who treats you and your family like dirt as long as you're in love. Oh, and everyone in your family has to act just like a doormat for the buffoon just like you do.

"This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

Magnum should have pounded that hectoring loudmouth into jelly in that boxing scene.

I hated this episode. It managed to feel like less of a Magnum episode than "Two Birds of a Feather."
I feel the same way. When I watch it, I usually skip to the last :15 which makes the episode and explains a lot about his past and the fact that war has taken so much from him in terms of his wife, father and brother and numerous other friends.

Robmagnum0967
Ensign

#54 Post by Robmagnum0967 »

Awesome Episode one of the best . Vietnam Memorial at the end was wonderful. Emotional and awesome episode. Shows what a great guy an depth of character that Tom Selleck has. He has always been one of my favorite actors

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#55 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a very odd episode in that there wasn't really an investigation, there were a whole new set of characters introduced, a lot of backstory not really pertaining to the main gist of the series.

This was a bit of a confusing episode as there were mostly brand new characters talking about non established parts of Magnum's past as if it were all common knowledge. The painting of the step father as abusive was kind of a dark way to go with it.

It was kind of unique to show Magnum's family. It was well acted even if the characters were largely unknown. It was interesting that they said Magnum hadn't been back home in 15 years and never to the Hall yet it seems like he would've been to DC on naval buisness during his run with intelligence.

Sperry
Lieutenant

#56 Post by Sperry »

Love this episode.
It's one of those bubbles away sedately until right at the end when a couple of moments occur which seem really poignant and moving.
The boy saying goodbye to his Grandpa gets me every time for some reason, as does the final scene at the memorial played out with Joe Cocker ' I shall be released ' - superb!!

Funniest bit is when Thomas rocks up at his homecoming and is about to crack onto his ex prom queen only for her family to pitch up. #awkward

KanawhaCommander
Ensign

#57 Post by KanawhaCommander »

I really enjoyed this episode. I got into Magnum pi on Netflix a few years ago, and made it all the way to season 5, only to login to Netflix one day, to find they had pulled it. The Mommandant (wife) surprised me in January with the DVD set. Happy Birthday to me. I've been catching up. I just watched this episode the other night, and wow, the ending. I got choked up. I've been to The Wall a few times, and it always gets me.

Such an honorable and touching way to end the episode. One of the reasons I love the show so much, is the way it portrays veterans.

In our Coast Guard unit, on the way to the boat house, we have a photo of Tom Selleck as Magnum pi. So much respect for the guy, and the show.

This is my first post, and I'll sign off by saying I'm glad to be here.

r/,

kanawhacommander

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome KC.

That's really great to hear about the pic of TS on the CG base and the feelings associated with it. Super!

Always glad to see new members.

I've not been here all that long myself, and I have to tell you, the folks here are the best on the net, as is the site in general.

I kind of envy you being in the position to watch even a single season for the first time, let alone 3! Enjoy yourself, I know I would.

Would you care to say where on the Kanawha river you are located?

Welcome aboard! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by KingKC »

Ater Deja Vu and Higgins scene with his father this episode really brings a personal touch to a Private Investigator show. It also shows how dysfunction, death, distrust and a lot of emotions from a lot of situations exist in every family. Very well done.

KingKC

Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

#60 Post by Big Kahuna »

This is my new favourite episode, knocking Home From the Sea into second place. When little Billy turns and shouts, "Goodbye Grandpa" honestly, I was blubbing like a baby. (Probably 'cause I also had a very close relationship with my grandfather.) But, still, it's a truly beautiful episode.
"I dunno. You have to get on a freeway, the M25 or something"

Tuan Vu
Captain

#61 Post by Tuan Vu »

This episode was really poignant. We find out that Magnum had a half-brother and that he also served in Vietnam, just like TM, but Joey didn't make it. I think it just goes to show that there is still a lot we don't know about Magnum. Who knows what other stories have been left untold? And now with John Hillerman's passing, there can never be a true "Magnum, P.I." reunion or movie.

Anyway, here is that fantastic ending scene. Next to "Home from the Sea", this may have been my favorite ending in the series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9zg7D2lx0Y

brianw
Rear Admiral

#62 Post by brianw »

I only caught the last half this morning, and its been a long time since I saw it last. Who is Billy to TM? .... Anyway, I rated this one really low, but it had its moments I guess. I don't mind going into TM's family history, but the entire thing seemed rushed, like they just had to come up with something quickly. I guess I am ok with doing something different, not taking place in Hawaii and no Higgins or the guys, but this was just depressing. Not a floral shirt or beach to be seen anywhere.

Also funny to see Brandon Call so little, I remember as a teen from Step by Step, but he was in a lot of shows and movies as a child actor, even Baywatch!

purpleflirp303
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#63 Post by purpleflirp303 »

I really like this episode, even though it is not in Hawaii and the regulars are not part of the story. Probably a girl thing..but Tom Selleck can dance! I love that part. And every family has drama..nice to know TM is no exception. I have visited the wall..it is a very moving experience. My girlfriend's father and uncle fought in Nam. Luckily, they both came home. I have started purchasing some of the episodes so I can watch them over and over..this is one of my purchases.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#64 Post by Pahonu »

purpleflirp303 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:32 am I really like this episode, even though it is not in Hawaii and the regulars are not part of the story. Probably a girl thing..but Tom Selleck can dance! I love that part. And every family has drama..nice to know TM is no exception. I have visited the wall..it is a very moving experience. My girlfriend's father and uncle fought in Nam. Luckily, they both came home. I have started purchasing some of the episodes so I can watch them over and over..this is one of my purchases.
The Wall is very much a powerful experience. I have been able to visit twice, many years ago with family when my father made a rubbing of the name of a friend of the family whom I never knew. The second time was just two years ago and a friend of mine from work who I’ve known for 20 years learned I was going. I offered to make a rubbing of his father’s name as he had never been. We ultimately couldn’t do it because it was raining when we arrived. My wife and I spent some time getting photos of the name. They were quite unique looking with the rain and being at night. We used a slow shutter speed and a tripod to capture the images. His name was quite low allowing us to do that.

The Korean War Memorial nearby looked almost surreal in the night rain.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Little Garwood »

I’m beginning to believe that Magnum’s family gave off an unpleasant “vibe” by design, and that he dreaded being around them just as much as we the audience did. Hawaii was Magnum’s home, and Higgins, TC, and Rick are his family by choice. Many of my favorite shows, films, books, etc., deal with the concept of the “family by choice” trope. Magnum’s long-suffering mother (the great Gwen Verdon, who also suffered being Bob Fosse’s wife) and the wonderful Julie Cobb, who played Karen, are the only Magnum family members I’d ever want to see again.

For me, the whole episode is enduring his moronic family and acquaintances along with the crowbarred-in “Joey” story, which exists only so can get to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial scene, which is admittedly moving. However, the viewer must run the proverbial gauntlet through that dreary family in order to get to that scene.

I voted Going Home a 7.5 (“Decent”)
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck