6.0 (Pretty Bad)
5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 84

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Frodoleader wrote:The interesting thing about this episode is that it aired the week my oldest son was born. I know that because we were still preparing the nursery that thursday night. I had a small portable TV in the nursery while I was painting it and this episode played that night. What is also cool is that we recently watched it again from our season 6 dvd, with our son.
Great story Frodoleader! Thanks for sharing it. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Apollo
Lieutenant

#12 Post by Apollo »

Not the best episode, but great to see the Big Island. We stayed at the Happuna Prince resort near the Mauna Lani resort which is featured in this episode. Beautiful country not typical of the other Islands.

[www.maunalani.com][/url]

AJL
Commander

#13 Post by AJL »

I didn't like this one much and the ending was stupid. It's so dumb all this stuff where Magnums doesn't want the money he's rightfully entitled to. Even if he don't feel like he needs them himself, he's still an a-hole to his friends since he could have used the money to pay them what he owes them for their services, instead of giving them to some teenager who already got $90.000 and have done nothing but lie to him. Man I just hated hated hated that ending.
Wheeeh, nice to get that out of my system :)
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Steve »

SelleckLover wrote:
He has his saddles custom made by Jerry Croft of Deadwood, South Dakota and the newest model by Croft has been dubbed the "Tom Selleck".
Interesting info, SelleckLover, I go to The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in August and always go to Deadwood since it is only a few miles from Sturgis. I am going to see if I can track down Croft's Saddles this year when I am there, I'll bet he some great photos of Tom on his walls. I did find the following article on Jerry Croft, check out the final paragraph.........
http://www.deadwoodmagazine.com/article.php?read_id=130

Steve
Chicago

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

Thanks Steve for posting that link. :D Interesting article!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by MPS »

Enjoyed the beginning of this one -- the Big Island vs Oahu. It went downhill from there. Found the plot to be convoluted and not very interesting. I wasn't suprised that Robin owned part of the other ranch; it was the only way to bring in JQH.

TS is very much at home on a horse, something I hadn't realized before. Even that couldn't save this episode :(
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#17 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

This was a different episode to say the least. It wasn't the best or worst. The one thig I want to know is what in the he!! is up with the shirt Magnum is wearing at the end while standing bedside. It looks like something from Blazing Saddles!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Coops »

This episode is, without a doubt, the single hardest episode I've had to sit through. I've started it twice and stopped it twice, not at the same place mind you.

Man, there are some real stinkers in this season.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by lutherhgillis »

This one is a real snoozer! More proof that if you take MPI off the estate, the KKC, away from the Ferrari and his friends you kill the show (ref LA, Going Home, Hotel Dick).

Season 6 was up and down. Some good epis and some bad.

I believe season 6 is the one where they temporarily lost use of the Anderson estate. They had to renegotiate to get it back. That must be why they used several off-site episodes...

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#20 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I never knew they lost use of the Anderson Estate on a temporary basis. Can someone fill me in on this story?

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by lutherhgillis »

I'm not sure of the details either. I saw TS do an interview back in 89 or 90. I think it was Johnny Carson's show. He said that they lost access to the estate one time and that made it difficult to continue so they had to get creative. I believe that must have been season 6.

During the same interview he was asked about Robin and Higgins. He said that Higgins was Robin because that is what Magnum believed therefore it must be true. We know the real story since we heard it Chas Floyd Johnson on the commentary for Resolutions2 however.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Coops »

I don't mind stories away from KKC, The Nest, etc..., but what I want is either a funny or a dramatic story. This one has absolutely neither one working for it. Also, being from Texas and having spent some time on a couple of ranches, makes this episode a bit more sillier.

Ugh...I hate it when MPI is bad and it is so rare!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#23 Post by golfmobile »

The comments about this episode brought the following thoughts to mind:

Often said, we need the estate, the Ferrari, the KKC, etc.

Actually, we don't -- IN MY OPINION. We need the "guys." Proof: Deja Vu. Granted, that plot was definitely "iffy" -- but if we have some degree of direction at EACH of the four major characters, well, I for one am okay with that.

LA failed because only TM was there. Had TC, Rick, and Higgins had to come over for some other reason and had been worked into the story, it would have worked better. Okay, not perfectly, but better.

So maybe I am the first one to have this epiphany. But though the location (Hawaii), the transportation equipment (heli/Ferrari), estate (Robin's Nest) CONTRIBUTED -- what COMPLETED the entire MPI feeling was the four guys working/fighting/spatting/sniping/ragging/laughing/drinking but ultimately SHARING together that made the show. I think this is evident in any really successful TV show -- you see how the characters care about each other and over the years, you come to care about them too and appreciate how they care for each other -- e.g., M*A*SH* or Cheers. You had time to get to know everyone and care about each and every one, see their weaknesses, and eventually an episode showed what was good about each, so each one also had something to make you care about him (well, maybe not Ferretface Frank in MASH . . . . ).

Maybe I'm not expressing this well enough. But it wasn't Hawaii that made Magnum P.I. It started it, but once we had "our guys," they could have moved and we would have followed along (fortunately this theory never got tested), but it was the characters we cared about -- Hawaii was icing -- and VERY NICE ICING IT WAS!!! But Thomas, Higgins, TC, and Rick were what made the show.

to me

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

I don't know the full story either, but they definitely lost access to it for a brief period of time.

This episode IS pretty weak, but I still really like the setting and the shootout finale!
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:The one thig I want to know is what in the he!! is up with the shirt Magnum is wearing at the end while standing bedside. It looks like something from Blazing Saddles!
Yeah, me too! What in the world.... :shock:

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#25 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice screen shot James. That shirt is god awful! I'm shocked TM would ever have worn anything like that!