5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 84

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Paniolo (6.8)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Paniolo (6.8). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/7/1985
Magnum wrangles with dangerous cattle rustlers as they strike a struggling estate on the big island of Hawaii.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Paniolo?! No!

I can't say that I care for this episode very much. It's slow. It's somewhat boring. Nothing much happens. Yawn.

It's interesting that this is the third episode (fourth syndicated) of the first nine episodes of Season Six to take place entirely outside of Oahu. No Robin's Nest. No Ferrari. No KKC. Weird!

I did like the wild west-style gunfight at the end, with Magnum and Will fighting off a dozen guys, or so, and T.C. coming to the rescue by hearding the cattle with his chopper, while Rick rained down hot lead from his handgun! Pretty cool scene.

And did you guys notice the violent crash Tom Selleck's stunt double endured during the scene where he tackles Kenny off of his horse? The stunt double lands squarely on his right shoulder, then "face plants" hard onto the ground! The poor guy probably suffered a separated shoulder and maybe even a broken a jaw! Watch it in slow motion. Ouch! Those guys sure earn their money in that line of work, that's for sure!

Still, not enough to save it for me. One of the weaker episodes. Next!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Danno »

I agree with you there... certainly not one of my favorites. On first watching, I was also somewhat confused as to what exactly was going on- the plot takes some time to come to the surface without enough to engage us while waiting.

You can see why Selleck ended up in so many Westerns however- he appears so comfortable around horses/horse riding gear...
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Tran Quoc Jones
Lieutenant

#4 Post by Tran Quoc Jones »

I agree, certainly not the best episode. The plot was way to convoluted and serious. The humor was sparse in this one unless you count the Magnum and Paniolo vs. 20 rustlers gunfight that is broken up by a helicopter influenced cattle stampede. This ending may rival "Birdman of Budapest" in stupidity. But then again it was so cheesy you have to love it. I guess if I was looking for "serious" entertainment I wouldn't be watching 20 year old reruns of Magnum P.I.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

I wasn't too impressed with this or Adelaide, although I have enjoyed all of Selleck's westerns.

The guy playing Will kind've reminded me of Ricardo Montalban at times, so I guess that's something at least. :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Tran Quoc Jones wrote:I guess if I was looking for "serious" entertainment I wouldn't be watching 20 year old reruns of Magnum P.I.
Hehe :D

One of the great things about Magnum is that it will surprise you with the occasional "serious" theme, however - Personal loss, domestic violence, family issues, "Does the end justify the means?", that kind of thing. ;)
Shermy wrote:The guy playing Will kind've reminded me of Ricardo Montalban at times, so I guess that's something at least.
Yeah, he kinda does!

And there's something else .... our old friend Ron Pennington has returned from the grave again, and morphed into someone else's body. This time a poor Paniolo ranch hand!

Hehe! I'll stop now with the Ron Pennington jokes. ;)

frog480
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by frog480 »

I didn't think I was going to enjoy this ep, very much but I did. I think this is far better than Adelaide.

I really didn't see the Robin Master's owning the other ranch plot line coming, I really loved Higgins explaining it to TM.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

Dan wrote:You can see why Selleck ended up in so many Westerns however- he appears so comfortable around horses/horse riding gear...
Dan,
Right you are indeed. I wish you could read the interview with TS in my July 2005 issue of "Western Horseman" magazine. In it, he talks about his horses, which includes his horse "Spike" that he rode in Quigley Down Under. The horse wranglers on the movie gave the Spike to him after filming was over. He is a student of western history, and has an eye for the details in period tack and gear. He has his saddles custom made by Jerry Croft of Deadwood, South Dakota and the newest model by Croft has been dubbed the "Tom Selleck". Another favorite tack supplier is Big Bend Saddlery in Alpine Texas, which dates back to 1905. Selleck makes it a point to stop in every Fall. Big Bend's Gary Dunshee reports that Selleck ordered several lariats for use in Monte Walsh, including a six-plait, 80-footer, hand braided by Jay Adcock of Sedan, Kansas. Here's a quote from the article titled, Selleck the Horseman:
"Selleck is more than just another actor with an affinity for cowboy hats and boots. To him, horses are a part of who he is, a natural part of life, one he probably can't imagine living without. Tom Selleck is the real thing." ~Western Horseman Magazine
Last edited by SelleckLover on Thu May 17, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SelleckLover

#9 Post by SelleckLover »

See above!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Frodoleader »

The interesting thing about this episode is that it aired the week my oldest son was born. I know that because we were still preparing the nursery that thursday night. I had a small portable TV in the nursery while I was painting it and this episode played that night. What is also cool is that we recently watched it again from our season 6 dvd, with our son.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Frodoleader wrote:The interesting thing about this episode is that it aired the week my oldest son was born. I know that because we were still preparing the nursery that thursday night. I had a small portable TV in the nursery while I was painting it and this episode played that night. What is also cool is that we recently watched it again from our season 6 dvd, with our son.
Great story Frodoleader! Thanks for sharing it. :)

Apollo
Lieutenant

#12 Post by Apollo »

Not the best episode, but great to see the Big Island. We stayed at the Happuna Prince resort near the Mauna Lani resort which is featured in this episode. Beautiful country not typical of the other Islands.

[www.maunalani.com][/url]

AJL
Commander

#13 Post by AJL »

I didn't like this one much and the ending was stupid. It's so dumb all this stuff where Magnums doesn't want the money he's rightfully entitled to. Even if he don't feel like he needs them himself, he's still an a-hole to his friends since he could have used the money to pay them what he owes them for their services, instead of giving them to some teenager who already got $90.000 and have done nothing but lie to him. Man I just hated hated hated that ending.
Wheeeh, nice to get that out of my system :)
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Steve »

SelleckLover wrote:
He has his saddles custom made by Jerry Croft of Deadwood, South Dakota and the newest model by Croft has been dubbed the "Tom Selleck".
Interesting info, SelleckLover, I go to The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in August and always go to Deadwood since it is only a few miles from Sturgis. I am going to see if I can track down Croft's Saddles this year when I am there, I'll bet he some great photos of Tom on his walls. I did find the following article on Jerry Croft, check out the final paragraph.........
http://www.deadwoodmagazine.com/article.php?read_id=130

Steve
Chicago

SelleckLover

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

Thanks Steve for posting that link. :D Interesting article!