6.0 (Pretty Bad)
5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 84

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by lutherhgillis »

I'm not sure of the details either. I saw TS do an interview back in 89 or 90. I think it was Johnny Carson's show. He said that they lost access to the estate one time and that made it difficult to continue so they had to get creative. I believe that must have been season 6.

During the same interview he was asked about Robin and Higgins. He said that Higgins was Robin because that is what Magnum believed therefore it must be true. We know the real story since we heard it Chas Floyd Johnson on the commentary for Resolutions2 however.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Coops »

I don't mind stories away from KKC, The Nest, etc..., but what I want is either a funny or a dramatic story. This one has absolutely neither one working for it. Also, being from Texas and having spent some time on a couple of ranches, makes this episode a bit more sillier.

Ugh...I hate it when MPI is bad and it is so rare!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#23 Post by golfmobile »

The comments about this episode brought the following thoughts to mind:

Often said, we need the estate, the Ferrari, the KKC, etc.

Actually, we don't -- IN MY OPINION. We need the "guys." Proof: Deja Vu. Granted, that plot was definitely "iffy" -- but if we have some degree of direction at EACH of the four major characters, well, I for one am okay with that.

LA failed because only TM was there. Had TC, Rick, and Higgins had to come over for some other reason and had been worked into the story, it would have worked better. Okay, not perfectly, but better.

So maybe I am the first one to have this epiphany. But though the location (Hawaii), the transportation equipment (heli/Ferrari), estate (Robin's Nest) CONTRIBUTED -- what COMPLETED the entire MPI feeling was the four guys working/fighting/spatting/sniping/ragging/laughing/drinking but ultimately SHARING together that made the show. I think this is evident in any really successful TV show -- you see how the characters care about each other and over the years, you come to care about them too and appreciate how they care for each other -- e.g., M*A*SH* or Cheers. You had time to get to know everyone and care about each and every one, see their weaknesses, and eventually an episode showed what was good about each, so each one also had something to make you care about him (well, maybe not Ferretface Frank in MASH . . . . ).

Maybe I'm not expressing this well enough. But it wasn't Hawaii that made Magnum P.I. It started it, but once we had "our guys," they could have moved and we would have followed along (fortunately this theory never got tested), but it was the characters we cared about -- Hawaii was icing -- and VERY NICE ICING IT WAS!!! But Thomas, Higgins, TC, and Rick were what made the show.

to me

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

I don't know the full story either, but they definitely lost access to it for a brief period of time.

This episode IS pretty weak, but I still really like the setting and the shootout finale!
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:The one thig I want to know is what in the he!! is up with the shirt Magnum is wearing at the end while standing bedside. It looks like something from Blazing Saddles!
Yeah, me too! What in the world.... :shock:

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#25 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Nice screen shot James. That shirt is god awful! I'm shocked TM would ever have worn anything like that!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by lutherhgillis »

Golf,

I agree that the four characters together had a special chemistry. The point I was trying to make is that all the other stuff created the 'perfect storm' that made the series exceptional.

I try to imagine what 'Going Home' would have been like if everyone made the trip... Nah, it would not have worked regardless. What if the main four went to Washington for a Vietnam Memorial dedication ceremony and happened to visit TMs family while they were there? Maybe that would have been better...

I would have liked for the main four to have visited New Orleans to see TC's family. That would have given a little more depth to TC's strong family ties that he spoke about several times. We saw TM, JQH, and Rick's family ties... What do you think?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#27 Post by golfmobile »

Reply re the shirt:

THAT'S HIS QUIGLEY SHIRT (or one like it -- I think it is a version of a cavalry/military shirt). I have NO problem with it in a ranch/Western-style setting!! (Though it does look goofy with the baseball hat -- okay, you win, no shirt like that unless he's wearing a cowboy hat).

luther, will reply to your post later when I have more time. Simply said, I agree.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

It seems to be a trend with season six – episodes that others like, I don’t care for, and ones that others don’t like, I find reasonable; I actually quite like this episode. Should I hang my head in shame? :lol:

[rating=8.5]

Magnum is hired for a case on the big island of Hawaii, to stop a dangerous group of cattle rustlers who are targeting a struggling ranch estate – but the ranch’s neighbour, an old friend of Robin Masters, is implicated in the thefts. Some exciting moments…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

I often say that one of ‘Magnum, p.i.’s strengths is that it has stories to suit all tastes. And that is very much the case here – whilst some don’t care for this episode, I quite like it, although it is definitely not perfect.

The story definitely takes it’s time to get going, although I like the surprising (or maybe not that surprising) twist at the end of the first act, that young Kenny (Michael Sharrett) in fact does not own the estate, which is actually broke, and everything is a con to try and get Magnum to work for them.

One of the episodes plus points is the scenery, which include some great shots of the big island. I’m intrigued by rumours that the Anderson Estate, used for external shots of Robin’s Nest, was not available for a few episodes during the sixth season, and stories completely away from the Estate, such as this one, were drawn up to be produced while access to the Anderson Estate was re-negotiated.

I personally find the plot of this episode to be quite a reasonable one, with some good action – something that is lacking from many fifth and sixth season episodes. However, maybe I just wasn’t paying full attention, but I do find it very confusing in the middle as to just who Will (Henry Darrow) is working for; I found this element of the story very unclear, and it marks the episode down a few notches in my opinion.

I also feel there was more room for comedy in this one, maybe involving T.C. and Rick or something; this is one of those stories that didn’t need to be serious throughout, and could have used some more light-hearted moments to break it up a little.

The climax, with the shootout with Magnum and Will surrounded in the old hut, and T.C.’s chopper herding the cattle towards the bad guys, is very good though, and the highlight of the episode.

So all-in-all, I don’t mind this episode, and actually find it one of the slightly better of the shaky sixth season. However, some of the points that I’ve mentioned above (especially the confusing plot involving Will) prevent it from getting a higher rating from me.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* The telegram that Magnum supposedly sends to T.C. and Rick is dated 11/9/85 – two days after this episode originally aired.

* I too noticed the weird shirt that Magnum was wearing at the end – I was expected it to be some amusing reveal, as if he was wearing it for a reason, but it was never explained. I’m glad this wasn’t part of his regular wardrobe!

* The DVD version of this episode has all of the act breaks abridged.

* As touched upon in the review, I’m intrigued by reports that the Anderson Estate wasn’t available for some of the sixth season. I’d imagine ‘Deja Vu’ was already planned, but it might explain the lack of Robin’s Nest in other episodes. Saying that, even if the external Estate wasn’t available, surely they could have still filmed indoor scenes, on the sound stage?
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#29 Post by golfmobile »

Am I the only one who DOESN'T have a problem with this shirt? I have no objection to it in this context. Also notice his "cowboy" belt -- with the silver tip and buckle. In my opinion, that goes fine with the Western/cavalry shirt. Aren't you guys going to pick on it too?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Sam »

I'm not a fan of the Cavalry Bib Shirt....

Description: In the Old West men from all walks of life wore the Classic Bib Front Shirts. They were preferred because they protected the chest against harsh winds, dust and cold temperatures. Our bib shirt is a four-button placket pullover made of 100% cotton twill, with authentic pewter buttons. The tapered bib makes both men and women appear larger in the chest and smaller in the waist. The Cavalry Bib Shirt continues to be as popular today as it was one hundred years ago. This shirt is a must. :)

http://www.wyomingclassics.com/productp ... hamois.JPG

Golf...I like the belt and own several of them.Popular golf belt.
http://www.onlygolfapparel.com/browsepr ... -Belt.HTML

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#31 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think maybe a gun to the head would be the only thing to get me to wear a shirt like that. I still can't believe Magnum wore it! The belt isn't bad, he just has too much of it "flopping" at the end.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#32 Post by golfmobile »

It's not just the silver tip on the belt -- it's the buckle too -- shaped like a horseshoe -- that makes it "Western" or "cowboy" compared to Norman's golf belt.

JMO.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#33 Post by N1095A »

While I agree with every negative thing that's been said about this episode, it is one of my all-time favorites. For the life of me I can't figure out why I like it so much. It lacks most of the usual "Magnumness" of my other favorites, still, there's something about it that just appeals to me. Maybe it's because Tom Selleck does westerns so well, or maybe it's because I was born about 100 too late. Not sure, but this is one I always enjoy.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by steveadl »

This episode would have to be a tie with 'Going Home' from my least favorite episode - didn't care for either of them.

Though interesting to hear they lost access to the estate at one point - surely it would have to have been during season 6 considering the amount of episodes that we didn't see it, especially in a row. Some episodes worked (Hotel Dick) and others like this one certainly did not.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#35 Post by nha trang »

This is bar none my single least favorite episode up till now in the MPI seasons...I expect episodes like this from the A-team. And yes, can someone tell me why Magnum is wearing a lipstick red chef's apron of a shirt?

This might have flown in a different series with old west Tom Selleck, but as an MPI episode it's almost unwatchable...lol :oops: