5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 84

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Paniolo (6.8)

#41 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a really interesting one. They managed to get all of the main cast together on a different island through different means. It makes sense to me that Magnum would be hired and have to travel to one of the other islands to do the work. Not every case could be done so that he could swing by the club or go home to the estate during points of the investigation.

The main thing that bothered me about it was that it was a pinch hard to follow at times. Too many misdirections as to whom was in charge of the cattle russlers caused it to be hard to follow all of the players and how they were and then were not connected. I also found it weird that the kid was able to pull off that complicated of a scam. I'd think Magnum would've figured it out easily enough the next day when nobody was at the ranch working except the one guy.

I loved the shoot out scene from the quarry. It showed Magnum in a different type of shootout where he had to use a weapon he didn't normally use and fight alongside a guy that he couldn't really trust. Rick being the guy to come up with the plan to head the cattle towards the shootout was a pretty good twist. He didn't normally come through with stuff on the spot like that. Higgins, franticly, trying to protect the interests of Robin Masters was great. He seemed to slowly comprehend that there was something shaky happening on a property Robin owned and he had to let Magnum continue delving into it.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#42 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

lutherhgillis wrote:I'm not sure of the details either. I saw TS do an interview back in 89 or 90. I think it was Johnny Carson's show. He said that they lost access to the estate one time and that made it difficult to continue so they had to get creative. I believe that must have been season 6.

During the same interview he was asked about Robin and Higgins. He said that Higgins was Robin because that is what Magnum believed therefore it must be true. We know the real story since we heard it Chas Floyd Johnson on the commentary for Resolutions2 however.
Hi Luther,
I assume you are referring to commentary on a DVD release? Can you tell me/us what the 'real story' was regarding Robin's status, according to Chas Floyd Johnson?

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Milton Collins »

I really don't know what to say about this one other than I'm not quite sure what they were trying to do here. I gave it a 7.5 as it really isn't a bad episode but more just out of place and awkardly done. It starts out as this mysterious and intruiging job on the big island with an awesome description of Hawaii by TM (talking about the plains of the Dakota's, the moon, etc.) I was totally into it at this point and then it turned into this oddly done cattle rustling western with really goofy (and poorly played in my opinion) characters. Mr. Harveston the 20 year old ranch boss/owner? Will and his overly done worship for the kid? Ugh! Anyway, I liked the western theme as obviously Selleck is a huge fan of Western's and horses/ranches. I just thought they could have stuck to a good, twist and turn plot plot rathern than the somewhat boring cattle rustling friend of Robin Masters rouse then turning out to none other than Will and his out of control "cronies" doing the actual rustling.

- It was fun to see Bob Minor as a cowboy in a small role, love his multiple appearances and resurrections from the dead!

- I'm super happy they involved Higgins, TC, and Rick in this one. It's never the same for me without all four of them. I love Higgins thinking that Magnum meant he was sick when he said "to the docks" lol. The friction between the two of them is always priceless.

- Magnum in chaps riding horses was just flat out cool! I love the comments here about his ridiculous red shirt at the end, I'm dying laughing as I read them. To me it looks like a really crappy version of a chef's shirt but red, ha ha ha ha!

- The end shootout was cool but also ridiculous with TC herding the cattle with his chopper lol! One of my favorite things about Magnum are these sometimes totally unbelievable and semi ridiculous things that would never happen in real life but they seem to pull it off quite well. Not always very believable but still good for some laughs.

Overall this is certainly not an outstanding episode or even close, but it has it's fun points and is off beat and out of the ordinary. I don't mind watching it on my "non favorite but very watchable" list now and then.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Milton Collins wrote: Magnum in chaps riding horses was just flat out cool! I love the comments here about his ridiculous red shirt at the end, I'm dying laughing as I read them. To me it looks like a really crappy version of a chef's shirt but red, ha ha ha ha!.
I could be wrong but I think the red calvary shirt, in Quigley Down Under and in this episode, is Tom Selleck's way of a nod to John Wayne. I have never seen anyone but Wayne -and now Tom - wear one. I believe the Duke wore his in The Comancheros and in some of his later films.
Even the Duke couldnt quite bring it off because the damn thing was distracting. Just an aside, for some reason when I mention Comancheros to Western fans hardly anyone seems to have seen it.
It is a darn good flick (John Wayne never looked as hardy/young again as not long after he suffered from lung disease and eventually had a lung removed) with a legendary director, beaut color, Lee Marvin, in-jokes as when Duke's character chides a young Ranger(son Pat Wayne) about his poor spelling, telling him his father should have made him pay more attention in school.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#45 Post by brianw »

Actually, not a bad ep. I am a big fan of westerns, so that helps. Decent shootout at the end and more action than many eps. The girl was hot too. But that shirt..... wth was that all about???

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by eagle »

Watching this one tonight.

I absolutely love the hotel featured in this episode, and will have to visit it when I finally make it to Hawaii.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#47 Post by nha trang »

Watched Paniolo tonight on my series rewatch. I have softened up in the nearly 10 years since my original review. While not a classic and not my favourite, it was ok for what it is. It is watchable. The red shirt is funny lol

And Will reminds me of Al Pacino which gave me a chuckle!

Nha Trang

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#48 Post by ENSHealy »

SelleckLover wrote: Thu May 17, 2007 4:44 pm He is a student of western history, and has an eye for the details in period tack and gear. He has his saddles custom made by Jerry Croft of Deadwood, South Dakota and the newest model by Croft has been dubbed the "Tom Selleck".
If this is true, you would have thought he might have been able to correct the script in the opening voiceover, when it referred to the "dark hills" of South Dakota instead of the Black Hills:

MAGNUM: When counting the assets of paradise, you have to start with geographical diversity. Take the Big Island of Hawaii, for instance. Twenty minutes
in any direction and you've been to the dark hills of the Dakotas, the ranches of Texas, or even the moon and the beginning of time. Impressive.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re:

#49 Post by Pahonu »

J.J. Walters wrote: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:12 pm I don't know the full story either, but they definitely lost access to it for a brief period of time.

This episode IS pretty weak, but I still really like the setting and the shootout finale!
IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:The one thig I want to know is what in the he!! is up with the shirt Magnum is wearing at the end while standing bedside. It looks like something from Blazing Saddles!
Yeah, me too! What in the world.... :shock:

I just noticed several of the comments about TM wearing the cavalry shirt with the western belt, boots, etc…. I also read a comment about the baseball cap being an unusual choice as well.

A friend of mine who has been a park ranger for the last 25+ years in Yellowstone and previously lived in Bozeman, told me several things about modern-day cowboys that I was surprised to learn. He told me many of the cowboys he encounters wear baseball caps at work and put on their expensive cowboy hats to go out. If you catch them at a bar right after work, they likely have the baseball cap on. He also said most of them use quads, pickups, Jeeps, and the like today, and that denim is still king, though the boots they wear aren’t always the stereotypical type we might expect. Sunglasses and handkerchiefs for the dust are also very common. No comment on the cavalry shirt though!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 6.8 PANIOLO

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG:
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play: 1
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections: -2
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 0
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/604336295

Not one, but TWICE, the teeny-bopper, telegram-forging rancher referred to TM as a P.I. and Magnum did not correct him! So I gave a -2 for investigator corrections, bringing the Magnumometer down to a zero for this one. Which kind of seems about right, actually. The plot was confusing and hard to follow. And would Kenny really have still gotten the reward if it was his right-hand man that started the whole rustling gang, and was doing two years for it? Seems like a bit of a disconnect there. And a $100,000 reward? That gang must have been moving A LOT of beef!

But there is a nice outtake photo of Higgins in the credits…Image
…and I chuckled when they all showed up at the quarry and it’s Higgins, and not the cops, leading the way. He regrets that he has but one life to give for Robin’s cattle ranch.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by charybdis1966 »

Oh dear,

this is a completely new episode to me and boy what a clunker !

A slow, dull, unengaging story with no highlights and with a western back drop which I find deeply tedious and I struggled to stay with it till the end.

I noticed the writer was Jay Hugely, is it fair to say that he wrote a higher than average proportion of the series' rotten eggs ?

Oh well, hopefully things pick up after this nadir.

EDIT - just seen the next one has bl***y Carol Baldwin in it.... :evil:

Treadwell
Lieutenant Commander

#52 Post by Treadwell »

I rated 8, although now I wish I'd rated 7.5.

It was entertaining enough, but I generally agree with all the criticisms already mentioned.

I know they do this a lot (giving Rick or TC something to do in the episode), but TC providing vital information to the plot over the phone that he obtained off-camera is pretty weak.

Speaking of ouchie stunts, that ledge in the quarry seemed pretty high. I was wincing on behalf of the stunt man jumping off of it.

I didn't do the math, but I don't think TM reserved enough in his payment to cover TC's expenses.

The RM angle was weird: the rancher threatening to call him. Well, go ahead, then, you're the one up to no good! If you don't, I will!