2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 87

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#51 Post by 308GUY »

Milton Collins wrote: Magnum "I guess we'll be doing this for a long, long time?"

Higgins "Yes, always actually!"

I like this as it makes me feel like Magnum will never end lol. And I can totally admit that I have trouble watching season 8 episodes because I know the end is near (ok maybe that is a little much or sad and I should get a life but it's true!)
Well said, and evokes the same feeling in me. A paradox if ever there was one. Some great episodes in season 8, but hard to fully enjoy them knowing each progressive one is leading to the eventual end of the series.

Makes a good case for enjoying the "moment" getting into separate episodes just on it's own merits.

At any rate, good to know there others "out there" who share similar feelings. One almost starts to wonder if there's something dreadfully "wrong" when it seems you are alone in your way of thinking...... :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

eltonsean
Captain

Re: The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u (6.9)

#52 Post by eltonsean »

Kapena Falls is indeed where they jump. i visited there myself and even jumped a couple times! It's definitely the spot, and just a small hike off the pali highway. thanks rubber chicken for sending me in the right direction. :)
that last pic is of me about to take the plunge! very high and scary, and the water landing really smacks the arms :)
"Living well is the best revenge".

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by KingKC »

I clearly remember a very attractive Nancy Stafford even though she portrayed a "bad guy." Everybody got in on the action for a million dollar prize! It was definitely a Magnum-lite but a heckuva lot of fun to watch.

KingKC

Chance
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#54 Post by Chance »

Nancy Stafford as Amy Griswold makes this episode nearly unwatchable. I worked in hotels for many years and ran into many of her kind along the way. And like Amy Griswold and her behavior during the check-in scene, I can only hope karma eventually had its way with them.

Truly, I'm in the midst of watching it again and it's taking all my will to not skip ahead to the next episode...especially after the succession of screams in the hotel room. Only the efforts of the rest of the cast are keeping me in the game.

I have only recently started getting into rewatching seasons 5-8 of the series, being a season 1-4 "creature of habit", and this season sure is testing my resolve. Thus far episodes have been too heavy, too annoying, too absurd...or a combination of the three. :-)

(on a technical note, on my DVD, the audio is marred by static on the highest frequency content, and the picture quality is mediocre compared to previous episodes in the same set)

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by KingKC »

Chance wrote:I have only recently started getting into rewatching seasons 5-8 of the series, being a season 1-4 "creature of habit", and this season sure is testing my resolve. Thus far episodes have been too heavy, too annoying, too absurd...or a combination of the three. :-)
I can appreciate your feelings about Season 6. I did a some analysis and posted it in Best and Weakest Seasons thread on March 2, 2016 on Page 4 of 5. Season 6 came in as the least favorite of all by the voting forum members and Season 5 was next to last. Maybe you should go on to 7 and 8 because they were much better liked by the forum. I also agree that Seasons 1-4 were better especially 1 and 2.

KingKC

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#56 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:Okay, how fake were those bats in the cave that Rick was scared of?! They seemed to be stuffed toys slid along a zip-wire! Not very convincing at all! :lol:
Oh my goodness, yes! :lol: I realize that for a quick shot viewed on a TV back in the day it wouldn't be as noticeable, but now it's too funny! :lol:
KingKC wrote:
Chance wrote:I have only recently started getting into rewatching seasons 5-8 of the series, being a season 1-4 "creature of habit", and this season sure is testing my resolve. Thus far episodes have been too heavy, too annoying, too absurd...or a combination of the three. :-)
I can appreciate your feelings about Season 6. I did a some analysis and posted it in Best and Weakest Seasons thread on March 2, 2016 on Page 4 of 5. Season 6 came in as the least favorite of all by the voting forum members and Season 5 was next to last. Maybe you should go on to 7 and 8 because they were much better liked by the forum. I also agree that Seasons 1-4 were better especially 1 and 2.

KingKC
Having watched Magnum in syndication and DVD, it really drives home how in seasons 5-6 people back then had to wait all week for these eps just to be on TV. Not that they were terrible to me, but they'd have been quite improved had they took more jaunts into darker territory like in seasons 7-8. "Photo Play", while still having some good things (Higgins and snooker, for example), doesn't make for a great season finale, even if it's still a better finale than "Three Minus Two".

I wonder if the "how we got here" opening was maybe an afterthought after principal production. Not that it doesn't work either way, but perhaps the crew realized how Amy Griswald acted and decided to spoil it early instead. :P

giant_albatross
Lieutenant Commander

#57 Post by giant_albatross »

Strange episode, saved by Nancy Stafford.

I thought she did a much better acting job as Amy Griswold, albeit in as a largely unlikable character, than as Michelle on Matlock where her character never showed much personality at all. Stafford in a nightgown is a nice bonus too.

This episode reminds me of a Simon and Simon episode with a similar plot theme (corporate publicity contest where people follow clues to find a case of Don Diego tequila).

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by K Hale »

I liked this one. Got a kick out of all the minor recurring characters showing up to find the treasure.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 6.9 The Treasure of Kalaniopu’u

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 1
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 4
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/606119273

A few thoughts:

It should have been obvious the treasure was not under the flowers. The flowers looked perfectly healthy, how would they have gotten the treasure buried under the flowers without damaging them while doing that? Higgins just seems concerned about their demise during the digging up of the treasure. They would already have been toast, wouldn’t they?

Why does Thomas drag the whole crew to the waterfall to intercept the bad guys? Seems like a better job for just him and his .45, especially when you see them all plodding slowly through the forest on the way there. (I know, they can't have the fun grabbing the flying money scene without them all there....but still.)

As the chopper wash blows the money all around…nobody thought to just close the lid on the treasure chest?

Despite all those, I actually quite enjoyed the episode, although I certainly could have done without Ms. Griswald’s ear-splitting screams.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Treadwell
Lieutenant Commander

#60 Post by Treadwell »

6.5 Not So Good.

I know it's "a silly one", but it didn't win me.