2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 87

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u (6.9)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u (6.9). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/14/1985
To promote his new book, Robin Masters' publishers stage a one million dollar treasure hunt using clues from the book. Magnum and friends join in, but it seems that someone is prepared to go to any extent, even to kill, to win the prize money!
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

A fun episode. I love how this episode features many of the major recurring characters interacting with one another - Tanaka, Carol, Doc Ibold, Kika - something rarely seen in the show. And another GREAT ending, with all the characters jumping off the top of a waterfall, one by one, with cash flying all around! Magnum and Higgins, smiling joyfully, jump last, together, as it should be. Great stuff! :D
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Danno »

The waterfall reminds me of the waterfall in the opening sequence of Raiders Of The Lost Ark which was a location on Kauai.

Is it possible they would have used the same location? I haven't had time to check it out... but they at least look like similar locations.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

frog480
Lieutenant Commander

#4 Post by frog480 »

This one reminds me of the Wacky Races cartoon!.

I like seeing all the part timers being used, it makes the Magnum seem much more real.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#5 Post by N1095A »

Another rarely seen Island Hoppers location is seen. It consists of what appears to be a contractors' office trailer next to a beach, across from a marina. What's striking about it is that it appears to be in a populated, and busy area. Hardly a location where noisey helicopters would be accepted.

TC clams that he's read all of Mad Buck Gibson's novels, a reference to a character in season 2 episode 9 titled "Mad Buck Gibson".
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Magnum92
Captain

#6 Post by Magnum92 »

One of my favourite episodes! I love it how everybody comes together :(
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Dan wrote:The waterfall reminds me of the waterfall in the opening sequence of Raiders Of The Lost Ark which was a location on Kauai.
I've looked around, but I can't find anything similiar. It sort of looks like La'ie Falls, but I don't think that's it. I would love to know where they filmed it. It's one of my very favorite scenes of the series. Anybody have any ideas?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sam »

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Are you sure?

Waimea has a lot more water running off it, and the rock formation doesn't quite look the same.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sam »

No..after posting I took another look and I'm not convinced that I am right.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

This little exchange kills me...

The Computer Does Not Make Mistakes

"Well then, move THEM... NOW! Or I'll have this place reduced to rubble....RUBBLE!!"

It's little scenes like this that make Magnum so great! :)

Also, the Woody Woodpecker cartoon Magnum watches in the hotel room is "Woodpecker in the Rough" from 1952. In case anyone is interested. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9P1TojSB60

That was fun to see Woody again!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#12 Post by rubber chicken »

Just a location FYI - the race registration etc. in this episode was located at McCoy Pavilion at Ala Moana Park, as seen here.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#13 Post by rubber chicken »

Kapena Falls is where they jump "... over the precipice into the brutally churning waters below." It's located here, about 350 yards northeast of Sanju Pagoda which was seen in Forty (7.17). It was also used in the TV show Lost. Here's a youtube video of people jumping off the cliff. I wouldn't be surprised if the forested area surrounding the cliff and falls were used in Magnum P.I. episodes where that type of location would be needed, but that's just conjecture.

Image Image Image

And James, I meant to say nice job on finding the name of the Woody cartoon. There's just something about seeing old cartoons in movies and tv shows that makes those scenes seem very special to me. In The Outsiders there's a bit where Emilio Estevez's character 'Two-Bit' sits down and watches an old Micky Mouse cartoon while eating a chocolate cake (for breakfast no less). For me, scenes like that strike to the heart of my childhood memories.

Has anyone here ever seen the 1950 movie Destination Moon? In it, Woody Woodpecker "has a brief four minute lecture on physics and Newtonian mechanics." (Quote taken from this page which has a photo of Woody from the film). Using Woody is a brilliant way to go about that part of the film. And 43 years later Steven Spielberg used a cartoon in precisely the same way to explain the science in Jurassic Park. Doubtless an homage.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

What the.... Pali Hwy is a stones throw away from that place?? Are you kidding me? Amazing!

Great find RC. I can't tell you how long I've searched for that pool! :oops:

"Destination Moon"! Wow, that's bringing back some long forgotten memories! :)

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#15 Post by Mark R.Y. »

I noticed some references to the movie IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD - constantly figuring out how the money gets divided up, people standing around the hole as a couple of the "team" digs in it, and the bills of money floating through the air at the end.