6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 87

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Frodoleader wrote:... the final shot with Magnum and Higgins jumping off the cliff, it sure looks like TS and not a stunt man. Is it possible that TS did this actual jump into the water?
Movie-makers will sometimes have a stuntman wear a facemask, so as to look like a particular actor. In that case, of course the character's face cannot move. It's been a while since I saw this one, so my recollection of the scene is somewhat hazy. Was Magnum moving his face during the jump? Or was his expression "frozen"?
Carol

JT
Captain

#32 Post by JT »

According to Larry Manetti they jumped off the cliff, upsetting the studio because they were supposed to use stunt doubles.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Thanks for pointing that out, JT. That's exactly what he says on page 240 of Aloha Magnum.

I can see why the studio would be upset!
Carol

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:A fun episode. I love how this episode features many of the major recurring characters interacting with one another - Tanaka, Carol, Doc Ibold, Kika - something rarely seen in the show. And another GREAT ending, with all the characters jumping off the top of a waterfall, one by one, with cash flying all around! Magnum and Higgins, smiling joyfully, jump last, together, as it should be. Great stuff! :D
This is almost exactly how I viewed this episode...could not really have said it better! :) Don't forget Agatha was "woven" in there some too...although she didn't jump at the end. :wink: This was sort of like "Magnum's" version of "The Maltese Falcon".

I don't remember an episode that had almost all (if not all) the regular recurring characters together at once! Awesome and humorous ending too! This is one of the most enjoyable episodes of the season...definitely great stuff! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

grundle
Admiral

#35 Post by grundle »

Not the same location as in the episode, but this is interesting:

http://news.yahoo.com/popular-kauai-swi ... 51882.html

Popular Kauai swimming hole gets deadly reputation

APBy AUDREY McAVOY - Associated Press | AP – 12 hrs ago

LIHUE, Hawaii (AP) — Travel guidebooks call Kipu Falls "a glorious little hidden place" and a "swimming hole extraordinaire." But the alluring beauty of the waterfall and natural pool conceals a deadly side.

In a photo made July 6, 2011, a woman jumps into Kipu Falls in Lihue, Hawaii, on the island of Kauai. But the alluring beauty of the waterfall and natural pool conceals a deadly side. Five visitors to Kauai, all male, have drowned at Kipu Falls in the past five years.

Five visitors have drowned at Kipu Falls in the past five years, including two since December. In most of the cases, the swimmers jumped off the top of the waterfall into the pool of blue-green water about 20 feet below, then were pulled to their deaths while attempting to swim to the shore. Others have suffered chest injuries, rope burns, perforated eardrums and broken and sprained ankles. A teenage girl was paralyzed after jumping there.

The deaths have given rise to speculation about whether there's a powerful whirlpool current in the swimming hole and prompted local authorities to push for greater restrictions to the site. The local tourism bureau became so alarmed by the toll that it mounted a campaign last year to push guidebooks to remove all references to the place.

It supported a bill before the Hawaii legislature that would have made writers and publishers of travel guides liable if a reader is injured or dies while trespassing on private property they have depicted. The bill died amid protests from publishers who said it violated their First Amendment rights.

The latest victim, Santhosh Heddese of Irvine, Calif., drowned on June 26. Rescue divers found the 35-year-old's body at the bottom of the pool an hour later.
The Kauai Visitors Bureau is also urging hotel concierges and tour operators to steer people away from the area.

Sue Kanoho, the agency's director, notes anyone who goes to the falls is trespassing.

Kanoho helped Heddese's widow get the couple's luggage home after he died last month. She said it was "devastating" to see another tragedy.

"I've really asked the community and the visitor industry, please, let's not send people there," Kanoho said.

The deaths have some locally questioning whether an angry "mo'o" — a Hawaiian water spirit lizard — lives in Kipu Falls.

"I kept thinking, something just held him down there. What possibly could have sucked him back down to the bottom of the pond?" said Christine Kauhi, whose 26-year-old son, Kulana Kauhi-Apao, from the Honolulu suburb of Kaneohe, drowned last December.

Kipu Falls sits in a clearing along the Huleia Stream, which pours out of the hills of southeastern Kauai into the island's biggest harbor, Nawiliwili. It's rimmed by banyan and other large trees. Most people get there by driving along a paved road that's only a few miles from downtown Lihue and some of Kauai's biggest hotels. From there, they walk about five minutes down a narrow dirt trail flanked by 6-foot-tall growths of invasive Guinea grass.

The pool and falls are on private property owned by Grove Farm, but locals have been swimming there for decades largely without problems. Residents say tourists arrived when guidebooks started mentioning it in the mid-90s. Though multiple guidebooks tout it is as "hidden," it was crowded with several dozen tourists on a recent weekday. A consistent trickle of people walked to and from the spot along the trail.

The Kauai Fire Department sent rescue crews to Kipu Falls 10 times last year, and twice so far this year.

Dr. Monty Downs, a doctor at Kauai's Wilcox hospital, said someone comes to his emergency room from Kipu Falls every few months. In recent years, they've included a 25-year-old man who suffered major chest injuries when he swung from a rope over the pool but failed to let go and slammed into the cliff. He required surgery, but survived.

Despite suspicions about mysterious forces, John Blalock, deputy chief of the Kauai Fire Department, said Kipu Falls doesn't have any strange or unusual currents. His rescue divers tell him the water is actually calm under the surface.

Locals who frequent the spot say the falls have a current, but only a downstream flow — exactly what you would expect in a river.

Instead, Blalock attributes the high number of deaths and injuries to tourists getting in over their heads. He compared travelers from big cities or the U.S. mainland going to Kipu Falls to someone born and raised in Hawaii going skiing — and deciding to take on a challenging slope.

"When you think about it, when you go on vacation, you do 'high risk, low frequency' events," Blalock said. "You do things that you don't normally do."

Kipu Falls isn't the only place tourists have encountered danger. Earlier this month, a visitor from California died after being sucked into a blowhole on Maui. Witnesses said he was frolicking in the sprays when he disappeared.

Grove Farm, a former sugar plantation that now owns a fish farm and leases farmland, is in a dilemma over Kipu Falls.

Closing it off would be an expensive undertaking for a small Kauai company that has only about a dozen employees. A fence could break and Grove Farm could be held responsible for not maintaining the barrier. If the company posts warning signs, it would be acknowledging the area is risky, exposing itself to liability.

Locals who have enjoyed the pool for years fear they would lose one of the places they love most if Grove Farm blocks access.

Downs, the emergency room doctor, said he's reluctantly concluded that's exactly what should be done.

"I've seen enough families destroyed," Downs said, "that to me the benefit of making it not be accessible outweighs the downside of taking away yet another spot that locals enjoy."

Daniel Hale, a tour boat captain who has been swimming at the falls for about a decade, is sympathetic to families who have lost loved ones. But he said the accidents shouldn't lead to closure.

"People come here on vacation and they get hurt, and it's sad, but it happens because it's not Disneyland. It doesn't cushion you," Hale said.

Kauhi, whose son died there in December, hopes something can be done to prevent more drownings. As a Native Hawaiian, she also hopes a Hawaiian priest will bless the place and the people who have passed there.

"I know if my son had a choice, if he knew, I don't think he would have gone," Kauhi said, as she tried to stifle tears. "I don't think he would have wanted to leave his family and friends behind. I'm just very sad, and I'm sure all these other families are grieving just like me."

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#36 Post by miltontheripper »

J.J. Walters wrote:A fun episode. I love how this episode features many of the major recurring characters interacting with one another - Tanaka, Carol, Doc Ibold, Kika - something rarely seen in the show. And another GREAT ending, with all the characters jumping off the top of a waterfall, one by one, with cash flying all around! Magnum and Higgins, smiling joyfully, jump last, together, as it should be. Great stuff! :D
So true! It was really fun to see the "minor" recurring characters all in the same episode. I think these guys (Carol, Tanaka, Doc Ibold etc) were great recurring characters and really enhanced the show as a whole. A treasure hunt for $1 million wow! I thought this was a great plot! One of my favorite episodes of season 6.

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#37 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Zudobug wrote:I found it curious that the natives who chase Magnum and co. in this episode always seem to have sparkling clean yellow outfits. They live in the wild and, although they obviously wash their clothes it seems that they have access to some kind of detergent in order to get their clothes so clean.
I agree. This detail really throws off the historical scenes. The outfits are clearly brand new and made of synthetic materials/dyes. Still, it's a silly episode so...whatever.

Overall, I really liked this one. Fun stuff with all the recurring characters coming out of the woodwork.
Ah, but the scenes of the natives and explorers are meant to be depictions from Robin's hokey novel - so we shouldn't expect to see rigorously researched realism! :lol:

This episode is one of my all-time favorites. Sheer joy - never once do I need to look at the time counter on my DVD to see how much more of the episode is left to go. :wink:

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#38 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

JT wrote:According to Larry Manetti they jumped off the cliff, upsetting the studio because they were supposed to use stunt doubles.
Selleck definitely takes the plunge himslef, but Hillerman used his stunt double. In any case it was a very out-of-character action for Higgins. It must have been the only moment in his life where he acted rashly on a whim.

This is in my opinion one of the best silly episodes in the whole run of the show. Tanaka kills me every time he opens his mouth.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u (6.9)

#39 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

J.J. Walters wrote:"The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u" is back to being "flub-less". ;)
Not quite.

1) When the gang arrives at the estate do dig up the roses, among the convoy we can see the light blue van driven by the villains. Yet the villains are nowhere to be seen since they planted the fake clue and headed to the falls. Who's driving the van then?

2) What business did TC and Agatha have flying the chopper over the falls on the final scene? Shouldn't TC be with the gang?

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#40 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

N1095A wrote: TC clams that he's read all of Mad Buck Gibson's novels, a reference to a character in season 2 episode 9 titled "Mad Buck Gibson".
I liked that. Those kind of details give the show a sense of continuity.

firefly
Commander

#41 Post by firefly »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:"The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u" is back to being "flub-less". ;)
Not quite.

1) When the gang arrives at the estate do dig up the roses, among the convoy we can see the light blue van driven by the villains. Yet the villains are nowhere to be seen since they planted the fake clue and headed to the falls. Who's driving the van then?
wasn't that was rick driving the van? remember he (rick) "had a plan", and that plan was to follow around tc. a pretty darn good plan if you ask me :-)
2) What business did TC and Agatha have flying the chopper over the falls on the final scene? Shouldn't TC be with the gang?
as he has done in the past, that was magnums "back-up", having tc at the ready with the chopper.

RayRayHoo
Ensign

Royal Order of Water Buffalo's

#42 Post by RayRayHoo »

Watched this episode tonight and thought that it was funny that at the hotel close to the first clue the Royal Order of Water Buffalo's were having a convention. This is the same club that Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble were members of.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Royal Order of Water Buffalo's

#43 Post by Styles Bitchley »

RayRayHoo wrote:Watched this episode tonight and thought that it was funny that at the hotel close to the first clue the Royal Order of Water Buffalo's were having a convention. This is the same club that Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble were members of.
I remember thinking the same thing!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Doc Fred
Admiral

#44 Post by Doc Fred »

I enjoyed this silly, fun-filled episode that at times reminded me, as others, of Mad, Mad, Mad World... especially when they all converged on the estate, jumped out of their vehicles and RAN toward the flower bed and started digging.

Yes, it was fun, but not really a great show... I gave it an 8.0.

Flubs??? Well, I consider it a constant and running flub in this series as well as in other shows that with different camera angles of a particular scene the sky can be heavily overcast in one direction with no shadows visible, and then instantly, with the camera on another person, there are no clouds and a bright sun showing very distinct and contrasty shadows on another person, even if standing next to each other. Or, in a similar way, when the camera faces someone it's obvious the sun is shining brightly, but when the camera is on the other side of the subject, there is clearly no sun shining. This very thing happened in this episode... Maybe I'm too critical, but when that happens it really destroys the continuity to me.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Stelth »

This was a great episode for all of the reasons already cited. And this: