6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 80

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#11 Post by Shermy »

SelleckLover wrote:Viewers weren't likely to catch them, so they left them in.
Yeah, it's a good example of how perspective has changed. 'Trekkies' basically earned their reputation because they devoted far too much time to an old aspect of pop culture. Of course, today nearly everyone does that, thanks to the internet. So today's producers have the advantage of knowing that their shows will be heavily scrutinized, and can take steps to make sure all their i's are dotted.

And speaking of VHS, there was a time when most new releases were priced at around $95 each! This was considered "priced for rental", but of course everyone would just rent a tape and make their own copy. It wasn't long before studios lowered the price and video stores began selling used copies themselves.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

The odd part about the whole thing was that Beta was (and actually still is) the higher quality of videotape recording/playback.

I work in advertising, and many of the studios that we work with still use Betas!

(Of course this is for commercial use only, but I was still shocked when I started out in the biz when one of my fist (and not to be last) assignments was to pull dubs and put them on a Beta SP!

Of course, the old Beta is going the way of the dinosaur now as technology changes...

Sigh

:wink:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Recently discovered some interesting trivia about this episode. The "Carole Kai Bed Race" (identified in the episode by a banner closeup) is actually a real ..... bed race! Carole Kai is a well-known local Hawaiian entertainer, recording artist, TV host, and philanthropist. Carole started the bed race in 1974 to benefit the Variety Schools, a local school for children with special needs. The race is apparently still held every year, although it's under a different name now.

For some reason, the episode refers to the race as "The 1st Annual Carole Kai Bed Race" when in fact the race is actually over ten years old!

Also, I found a rainbow. :)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Coops »

WOOT! Another flub spotted.

When TM and Lt. Jameson go into the bathroom, 2 SP's are posted outside for "security" reason. As an uncovered (i.e. not wearing a hat) officer walks by they both salute him.

1. Navy NEVER salutes indoors unless it's a formal situation (retirement ceremony, awards ceremony, etc...).

2. Navy NEVER salutes any other Navy member that is uncovered. Why? In the Navy as soon as you walk indoors you uncover. That's why the officer was uncovered to begin with. If a Navy member is assigned to an Army or Air Force unit the saluting uncovered rule isn't in affect as those 2 branches salute uncovered and indoors.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Fantastic flub spot Coops! I've added it to the Episode Guide.

Thanks!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Here goes another week of reviews. How could I have overlooked this episode for so long?

[rating=9.5]

Magnum is recalled to active Naval duty by Admiral Hawkes, who wants him to investigate a security leak. The prime suspect seems to be Hawkes’ daughter-in-law-to-be, but the true culprit lies even closer to home. I really enjoyed this episode…

-----

My interest must have been waning slightly when I first saw the sixth season, as this seems to have been a(nother) episode that I overlooked first time around. I don’t know why, as it is a very good story, possibly one of the best of the season.

It is good to see Magnum back in the Navy – an element of the series that could maybe have been played upon a bit more. It makes a welcome change from the standard ‘investigation-of-the-week’ setting.

Paul Burke puts in a good guest performance as Admiral Hawkes, returning from the third season’s feature-length / two-parter ‘Did You See the Sunrise?’ (he also played another Admiral in season two’s ‘Memories Are Forever’ which could easily be mistaken for one and the same character by the more casual viewer).

I like the ‘bed race’, organised by Higgins, that Magnum manages to get out of. It is only featured at the beginning and end of the episode, but it is the little touches like this that make the series so good, even after all these years. It is also these sorts of little touches that I felt were missing from the fifth season.

The episode is maybe a bit more talky that I would ordinarily like, but it doesn’t really matter here, as the story is well-written and plays out well. And it does at least have a few good action sequences (the fight in the men’s room, before Magnum leaps onto a passing truck to make his escape) – yet another element that was missing from many fifth season episodes.

Without giving it away here, I guessed who the real culprit of the security leak was pretty early on, but it didn’t really matter, as it was just interesting to see how the story unfolded.

All-in-all, I found this to be a very decent episode. To my surprise re-watching it, I’d probably rank it as one of the best of the sixth season.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Nothing much to note here, other than another contradictory Five moment – surprisingly, they didn’t edit the fight in the men’s room, not even when Magnum slams Lt. Jameson’s head into the wall; on other occasions, Five would edit moments such as this very heavily!
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MACattack »

The episode was so-so but I thoroughly enjoyed the scene Magnum got to duke it out with the guy from the Allstate ads. Magnum had the upper hand this time!
I just don't give a damn!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Interesting to see Magnum in uniform again...and gave us an idea of what he did for the Navy before retiring.

However, I really don't care for episodes where Magnum has to spend his time trying to prove his own innocence for murder or a crime...I like him trying to help others with that instead.

Interesting plot and a few good plot twists. This was a decent episode, and I rated it as such.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Coops »

IslandHopper wrote:Additional Flubs for "Blood and Honor."

When Magnum and Alex leave her apartment in her car, she drives Magnum to Admrial Hawkes' office, which is being guarded by a Marine sentry (Magnum is narrating). The next shot is of a Navy Enlisted Service file. The camera then cuts to Magnum opening the file to the first page which is a DD-214, which is the service record for a member of the military. In this case, the service record (DD-214) he is looking at is his own as you can see his name (Magnum, Thomas Sullivan) in the upper left hand corner. The fact that Magnum is reviewing his own service record is confusing because in his narration he is talking about Andy (Adm. Hawkes' son), which leads you to believe that he is reviewing Andy's service record looking for clues as to why he would be leaking the top secret information. :? It is possible that Magnum was looking at his own record to determine his status and to find a way out of his current active duty status. The DD-214 appears to be authentic, however, the problems or flubs with the DD-214 are:

1. Magnum's date of birth is listed as 5-7-1947, which contradicts the DOB's identified in "Memories are Forever" and "Try to Remember";

2. Magnum's pay grade appears to be listed as O-10 (difficult to tell as it is a little fuzzy), however, as a Commander, Magnum's pay grade should be O-5, not O-10;

3. Magnum's SSN (upper right hand corner of the DD-214) is different than the SSN identified in "Memories are Forever." It is difficult to tell the SSN exactly, as it is a little fuzzy, but the SSN here appears to start with 571- and is definitely not the same SSN as identified in "Memories are Forever";

4. The section of Magnum's DD-214 that lists his decorations, medals, badges and citations only includes: (i) Vietnam Campaign, (ii) Vietnam Service, and (iii) Purple Heart. It fails to mention Magnum's S.E.A.L. qualification and badge or his Surface Warfare Badge that he wore on his uniform in the pilot episode. Magnum's other ribbons are not listed either.

5. YOU NEED TO WATCH CAREFULLY FOR THIS NEXT FLUB. As Magnum turns to the next page in the service record, you will see that it has nothing to do with military service at all. It is a trial docket from June 1984 regarding a mortgage foreclosure lawsuit. This was obviously added as filler for the file, but you can tell that it is a trial docket and has nothing to do with military service. :shock:

"Blood and Honor" is one of my favorite episodes from season 6. It involves a good mystery/espionage plot. The writer(s) cleverly lead you to believe in the beginning that Alex is the source of the leak of the top secret information. It also provided a great fight scene between Magnum and Dennis Haysbert's character (Lt. Jameson).
Follow up:

I've taken the photo that is posted for this episode of his DD-214 and blown it up. On his paygrade it actually says "S-10" which we all know isn't an officer's paygrade, it's a Robin 2 (Get it, Chevy S-10?)! Anyway, I don't know why it says that but it does.

Box 2 "DEPARTMENT, COMPONENT AND BRANCH" says "WEATHER BUREAU NAVY" whatever the hell that means.

Box 6 "PLACE OF ENTRY INTO ACTIVE DUTY" says "PEARL HARBOR, HAWAII" no big surprise there.

Box 8 "STATION WHERE SEPARATED" says agin, "PEARL HARBOR, HAWAII"

Box 9 "COMMAND TO WHICH TRANSFERED" says, interestingly, "INACTIVE DUTY" which translates, to me, into an inactive reserve status. If he was fully discharged I think it was say just that.

Box 10 "SGLI COVERAGE" is marked for $100,000.

Box 11 "PRIMARY SPECIALTY NUMBER, TITLE YEARS AND MONTHS IN SPECIALTY" is interestingly blank.

Box 12 "RECORD OF SERVICE" is where is time in various important times in his career should have number corresponding to dates of that event. On this DD-214 there are just "X" in the spaces. Makes no sense.

Box 13 "DECORATIONS, MEDALS, BADGES, CITATIONS AND CAMPAIGN RIBBONS AWARDED OR AUTHORIZED" is as stated above but the entries aren't done accurately. It should look like this:

NCM-1//PHM-1//NDM-1//VSM-1//VGC(?)-1//VNCM-1
(Navy Cross, Purple Heart, National Defense Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Gallantry Cross (unit award w/palm), Vietnamese Campaign Medal)

Using this image:

Box 14 "MILITARY EDUCATION" is blank as well. Hmmmmmm...???

After that there's really nothing else worth noting.
Last edited by Coops on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#20 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Coops wrote:
Follow up:

I've taken the photo that is posted for this episode of his DD-214 and blown it up. On his paygrade it actually says "S-10" which we all know isn't an officer's paygrade, it's a Robin 2 (Get it, Chevy S-10?)! Anyway, I don't know why it says that but it does.

Box 2 "DEPARTMENT, COMPONENT AND BRANCH" says "WEATHER BUREAU NAVY" whatever the hell that means.

Box 6 "PLACE OF ENTRY INTO ACTIVE DUTY" says "PEARL HARBOR, HAWAII" no big surprise there.

Box 8 "STATION WHERE SEPARATED" says agin, "PEARL HARBOR, HAWAII"

Box 9 "COMMAND TO WHICH TRANSFERED" says, interestingly, "INACTIVE DUTY" which translates, to me, into an inactive reserve status. If he was fully discharged I think it was say just that.

Box 10 "SGLI COVERAGE" is marked for $100,000.

Box 11 "PRIMARY SPECIALTY NUMBER, TITLE YEARS AND MONTHS IN SPECIALTY" is interestingly blank.

Box 12 "RECORD OF SERVICE" is where is time in various important times in his career should have number corresponding to dates of that event. On this DD-214 there are just "X" in the spaces. Makes no sense.

Box 13 "DECORATIONS, MEDALS, BADGES, CITATIONS AND CAMPAIGN RIBBONS AWARDED OR AUTHORIZED" is as stated above but the entries aren't done accurately. It should look like this:

NC-1//PH-1//NDM-1//VSM-1//VGC(?)-1//VNCM-1
(Navy Cross, Purple Heart, National Defense Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Gallantry Cross (unit award w/palm), Vietnamese Campaign Medal)

Box 14 "MILITARY EDUCATION" is blank as well. Hmmmmmm...???

After that there's really nothing else worth noting.
Wow! Nice sleuthing Coops! Like the new avatar, btw!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Coops »

Thanks! I also have one (French Cross) on my Camaro but it's under the hood.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:Interesting to see Magnum in uniform again...and gave us an idea of what he did for the Navy before retiring.

However, I really don't care for episodes where Magnum has to spend his time trying to prove his own innocence for murder or a crime...I like him trying to help others with that instead.

Interesting plot and a few good plot twists. This was a decent episode, and I rated it as such.
I completely agree! We seem to definitely be on the same page as to what episodes we like. I would prefer to see TM involved in an action packed case where he's helping others rather than proving himself innocent of a crime. I thought this was a decent episode though. Good acting all around and a couple of unexpected twists. Great bathroom fight scene with the Allstate guy! And the admiral's would be daughter in law sure wasn't terrible to look at either. I'm not as big a fan when Higgins, Rick, and TC only play minor roles like this one though. They're such great supporting characters and add a ton to the show in my opinion.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#23 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Coops wrote: 2. Navy NEVER salutes any other Navy member that is uncovered. Why? In the Navy as soon as you walk indoors you uncover. That's why the officer was uncovered to begin with. If a Navy member is assigned to an Army or Air Force unit the saluting uncovered rule isn't in affect as those 2 branches salute uncovered and indoors.
Do you know whether this is an international protocol or just US Navy? I say this becaue I was once host to a delegation of a foreign navy on a professional capacity and they stayed covered indoors - they only uncovered in the presence of a lady.

Another flub - Admiral Hawkes addresses Magnum as "Thomas" instead of "Commander", even in the canteen in front of strangers.

Other minor "flubs" and quirks:

- Higgins running a race in a three-piece suit? That's crazy even for Higgins!

- The KKC team changes "racers" mid-race. That should have got them disqualified as it's an unfair advantage.

Very enjoyable episode. Season 6 quite strong so far. A couple of points for my dislike list though:

- The blonde wasn't too convincing as an undercover government agent. She seemed too immature and emotional. Perhaps it's just poor acting.

- Magnum getting his panties on a twist about the agent going for Hawkes' son. He's a spy - are they supposed to let him go just because he's someone's son? Every spy is someone's son. As former intelligence, Magnum should know better...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#24 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

miltontheripper wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:Interesting to see Magnum in uniform again...and gave us an idea of what he did for the Navy before retiring.

I completely agree! We seem to definitely be on the same page as to what episodes we like. I would prefer to see TM involved in an action packed case where he's helping others rather than proving himself innocent of a crime.
He is helping others. He got mixed into it to help Hawkes, remember?

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Sisophous »

MACattack wrote:The episode was so-so but I thoroughly enjoyed the scene Magnum got to duke it out with the guy from the Allstate ads. Magnum had the upper hand this time!
Yes indeed, it is Dennis Haysbert and I did not recognize his face at first but he has a distinct voice and seconds later I knew it was the Allstate guy. Haysbert and Magnum both stand 6'4 and why on earth did the Allstate guy think he could take on Magnum.

The younger and slimmer Allstate guy.

The Allstate guy fights dirty with a blow to Magnum's groin with a mop but Magnum shakes it off. That had to hurt.

After finishing off the Allstate guy, Magnum uses the mop to shatter the window to escape.

And sheer luck, a truck approaches with no time to spare.

A brave Magnum makes the leap for life, only one chance to plummet 50 feet.

A perfect landing.

And this was a scary stunt if for real, Magnum nearly got decapitated. This is how stunt men die. This was a close miss for real and the truck was moving.

I really liked this entire scene, I thought Magnum had no chance but he defied the odds.