6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 80

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Coops »

Thanks! I also have one (French Cross) on my Camaro but it's under the hood.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:Interesting to see Magnum in uniform again...and gave us an idea of what he did for the Navy before retiring.

However, I really don't care for episodes where Magnum has to spend his time trying to prove his own innocence for murder or a crime...I like him trying to help others with that instead.

Interesting plot and a few good plot twists. This was a decent episode, and I rated it as such.
I completely agree! We seem to definitely be on the same page as to what episodes we like. I would prefer to see TM involved in an action packed case where he's helping others rather than proving himself innocent of a crime. I thought this was a decent episode though. Good acting all around and a couple of unexpected twists. Great bathroom fight scene with the Allstate guy! And the admiral's would be daughter in law sure wasn't terrible to look at either. I'm not as big a fan when Higgins, Rick, and TC only play minor roles like this one though. They're such great supporting characters and add a ton to the show in my opinion.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#23 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Coops wrote: 2. Navy NEVER salutes any other Navy member that is uncovered. Why? In the Navy as soon as you walk indoors you uncover. That's why the officer was uncovered to begin with. If a Navy member is assigned to an Army or Air Force unit the saluting uncovered rule isn't in affect as those 2 branches salute uncovered and indoors.
Do you know whether this is an international protocol or just US Navy? I say this becaue I was once host to a delegation of a foreign navy on a professional capacity and they stayed covered indoors - they only uncovered in the presence of a lady.

Another flub - Admiral Hawkes addresses Magnum as "Thomas" instead of "Commander", even in the canteen in front of strangers.

Other minor "flubs" and quirks:

- Higgins running a race in a three-piece suit? That's crazy even for Higgins!

- The KKC team changes "racers" mid-race. That should have got them disqualified as it's an unfair advantage.

Very enjoyable episode. Season 6 quite strong so far. A couple of points for my dislike list though:

- The blonde wasn't too convincing as an undercover government agent. She seemed too immature and emotional. Perhaps it's just poor acting.

- Magnum getting his panties on a twist about the agent going for Hawkes' son. He's a spy - are they supposed to let him go just because he's someone's son? Every spy is someone's son. As former intelligence, Magnum should know better...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#24 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

miltontheripper wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:Interesting to see Magnum in uniform again...and gave us an idea of what he did for the Navy before retiring.

However, I really don't care for episodes where Magnum has to spend his time trying to prove his own innocence for murder or a crime...I like him trying to help others with that instead.

Interesting plot and a few good plot twists. This was a decent episode, and I rated it as such.
I completely agree! We seem to definitely be on the same page as to what episodes we like. I would prefer to see TM involved in an action packed case where he's helping others rather than proving himself innocent of a crime.
He is helping others. He got mixed into it to help Hawkes, remember?

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Sisophous »

MACattack wrote:The episode was so-so but I thoroughly enjoyed the scene Magnum got to duke it out with the guy from the Allstate ads. Magnum had the upper hand this time!
Yes indeed, it is Dennis Haysbert and I did not recognize his face at first but he has a distinct voice and seconds later I knew it was the Allstate guy. Haysbert and Magnum both stand 6'4 and why on earth did the Allstate guy think he could take on Magnum.

The younger and slimmer Allstate guy.

The Allstate guy fights dirty with a blow to Magnum's groin with a mop but Magnum shakes it off. That had to hurt.

After finishing off the Allstate guy, Magnum uses the mop to shatter the window to escape.

And sheer luck, a truck approaches with no time to spare.

A brave Magnum makes the leap for life, only one chance to plummet 50 feet.

A perfect landing.

And this was a scary stunt if for real, Magnum nearly got decapitated. This is how stunt men die. This was a close miss for real and the truck was moving.

I really liked this entire scene, I thought Magnum had no chance but he defied the odds.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#26 Post by Doc Fred »

SelleckLover wrote:eegorr wrote: I wonder what their reasoning was in changing his name?

I was speaking to my husband, who works occasionally as a movie extra (you can actually see him in "Mighty Ducks Part II"), and has written movie and various television scripts (all unsold, BTW) and he says that sometimes there are legal implications in using names. That's why you sometimes see the names of characters are the same as some of the crew members. (The name Doc Ibold comes to mind...Douglas Ibold was part of the crew for Magnum.) They may have had to change it for legal reasons, and since back then you only saw an episode once, (or twice if you were lucky) the continuity didn't matter as much. The pace at which television shows are filmed is grueling and they don't have time or money to go back and reshoot any flubs a viewer probably won't catch anyway. I'm only assuming that most viewers are like me.....I don't know who outranks whom in the military (kind of like I don't know what beats what in Poker!). When Magnum was on in the 1980's, I watched it on a tiny 12 inch screen, and couldn't possibly see what written in files, etc.

Some of you were probably very young back then, but I was an adult raising a family in the 1980's. DVD's hadn't even been thought of yet, and a VCR cost between $600-$800 (Too expensive for a family with a modest income to afford.) I remember going to the Video store and RENTING a VCR along with the movies! Bellisario probably never dreamed that the series would have the popularity it still does, and couldn't conceive of it being released to the public on DVD in it's entirety in the next century. We had bigger fish to fry in the 80's....trying to recover from double digit inflation left over from the Carter years, gasoline rationing, and I can go on and on......LOL Anyway, maybe this will explain why there are so many blatant flubs in the episodes. Viewers weren't likely to catch them, so they left them in.
I very much enjoyed your post, and learned some interesting things.... although I DO know the rank of the poker hands (and can calculate the odds for each). :)
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Blood and Honor (6.10)

#27 Post by Doc Fred »

This was an excellent episode, a combination of serious with a bit of humor mixed in. I liked the plot and the problems Magnum got into and escaped from. It was a fine adventure. And him taking the AllState guy was cool... although, I can't blame AllState's reason for trying to hurt Magnum; his motive was positive in my mind, mistaken but positive. I would have liked to have seen some kind of reconciliation between them, although it would have been difficult to squeeze that in.

What really added to the episode was the hospital bed race, the way TC kept seeing Magnum during the race, and then Magnum taking over for Higgins in the final. But, the ultimate was seeing Higgy Baby joining in the race, and how he suffered more and more with each heat in the competition, all the way up to the very end where he showed his suffering from the running and his anger at, I guess, Magnum.

This was definitely worth a good, solid 9.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Stelth »

This was a really enjoyable episode. It was also good because the female lead was actually attractive. I liked when Magnum kicked the serious Allstate guy's ass. Well done.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#29 Post by Doc Ibold »

He'll always be Pedro Cerrano to me. (Or the president in 24)

See what happens to your career when you get WHUPPED by Magnum?

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Milton Collins »

I rates this one as decent. The best part for me was the race lol. Rick and TC I'm those red and white KKC outfits was priceless. Not to mention Higgins subbing for TM and wearing a suit while doing it, quite hilarious!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Milton Collins »

Forgot to mention, great fight too! Loved seeing TM beat down the Allstate guy

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Little Garwood »

Milton Collins wrote:Forgot to mention, great fight too! Loved seeing TM beat down the Allstate guy
Here's Dennis Haysbert even younger, from nine-year-old me's favorite TV show, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century at least the first season, the second stunk to high heaven. lol

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by KingKC »

I really liked this episode and it almost makes my Top 10 overall and would probably make my Top 10 Serious Episodes even though it had a little humor and a bed race. I also think the writers, producers and directors are clearly letting on that TM belongs in the Navy! I think the idea of TM re-upping was probably a second "plan B" idea or alternative ending to Limbo in Season 7.

KingKC

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#34 Post by MaximRecoil »

Doc Ibold wrote:The odd part about the whole thing was that Beta was (and actually still is) the higher quality of videotape recording/playback.
In comparable VCRs, VHS and Betamax are virtually indistinguishable in terms of quality (you would need sensitive instruments to tell the difference). Betamax got a reputation for higher quality "back in the day" because Sony came out with quality improvements before JVC did. For example, Beta had Hi-Fi audio first, but VHS had it soon thereafter. The original JVC "HQ" specification brought VHS completely on par with Betamax in terms of video recording/playback quality, but that specification was expensive to implement, and a lot of VHS manufacturers balked at it. JVC then dumbed down the specification to the point that the "HQ" label on a VHS machine was next to meaningless. However, there were machines made with the full original HQ specification, and those are every bit the equal of the best Betamax machines.
I work in advertising, and many of the studios that we work with still use Betas!

(Of course this is for commercial use only, but I was still shocked when I started out in the biz when one of my fist (and not to be last) assignments was to pull dubs and put them on a Beta SP!

Of course, the old Beta is going the way of the dinosaur now as technology changes...
That's Betacam, not Betamax; completely different thing. Betacam was a professional format, Betamax was a consumer format on par with VHS. Betamax recorded video in the composite domain, while Betacam recorded in the component domain (Y, R-Y, B-Y) and had quality approaching that of DVD (far beyond VHS or Betamax), i.e., NTSC broadcast quality. Betacam SP came along in '86, and was the highest quality version of analog Betacam. Digital Betacam, which came along in 1993, was even higher quality (slightly higher resolution than DVD, but with uncompressed digital video, which is obviously superior to the lossy MPEG-2 compression on DVD video), but that is a completely different thing; Betacam-in-name-only.

Many TV shows from the early 1980s to early 1990s were shot on Betacam / Betacam SP, especially sitcoms. Practically all news broadcasts, TV commercials, sporting events, concerts, etc., during that time were also shot on Betacam. Those are forever stuck at a quality level which is a bit below DVD. Fortunately, most 1-hour TV shows of the time, including Magnum, P.I., were shot on 35mm film; good 35mm movie film negatives can resolve to about 4K.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

So back in the day, my dad, whose recording needs were comedies and long baseball games, opted for Betamax, which was already out of use by my childhood a few years later. :P We still have the old Beta tapes (taped from TV, and official Beta releases) and Betamax machine, though it has the downside of its pause feature not lasting and resuming after a short while. :roll: We younger folk take a lot of things for granted. :lol:

Simone Griffeth I largely know as Stan Zbornak's ex-wife Chrissy on The Golden Girls, so this role is as polar opposite as it gets to that character.

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere else on here, but Paul Burke (Admiral Hawkes) is the grandfather of actress Alia Shawkat.

And the AllState guy! :lol: It's definitely the voice that gives it away. It's funnier now because Dennis Haysbert still does those ads to the present day, so the name will likely stick. :P

And while I agree it's always better when Rick, T.C. and co. are in larger roles, it's always funny when they see Magnum doing something unusual or secret (and they have no idea what's going on), and in this case think it's a mirage. :lol: