4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 81

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Rapture (6.11)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Rapture (6.11). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/28/1985
Magnum is haunted by a boy from the past when he thinks he sees the murdered child swimming off the coast of Kahuku lagoon.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#2 Post by Shermy »

Note how the library scene is basically a complete reversal from events a few episodes earlier. In Round and Around, Higgins is upset by Magnum's filing system, and asks, "Haven't you ever heard of the Dewey Decimal System"?

But here, it is Magnum who cannot figure out how the books are arranged. When he suggests that Higgins should use the Dewey Decimal System like everyone else, Higgins implies that the System doesn't work.

Even though this is clearly a lack of continuity on the part of the writers, I prefer to interpret it as classic Higgins. In just a few short episodes, he has not only implemented the Dewey Decimal System, but found it lacking as well. :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Shermy wrote:Even though this is clearly a lack of continuity on the part of the writers, I prefer to interpret it as classic Higgins. In just a few short episodes, he has not only implemented the Dewey Decimal System, but found it lacking as well. :lol:
Haha! I love it! :D
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

I like this episode more than I probably should, mainly because of all the cool dive scenes and references to old aircraft. The ethereal world rears its head again, or is it just "The Rapture" (Nitrogen narcosis)?

This episode also has one of the best Higgins quotes of all-time, IMHO:
I have studied Aristotle, Socrates, Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Bertrand Russell. I have toured college campuses debating the virtues of dialectic versus symbolic syllogism. I have written scholarly articles for the need for a new, more dynamic logic. But nothing in my life has prepared me for the workings of the Thomas Magnum mind.
LOL!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

Shermy, your point about the lack of continuity is well taken. This occurrs in several other episodes as well. I don't remember how early into MPI, or what episode, but we are led to believe that Rick and his sister were orphans, and looked after by Ice Pick, which is the explanation for Rick's affection for Ice Pick. I want to say this was introduced fairly early on in the series. But, in "Jororo Farewell", there is a scene where TC's baseball team is scrimmaging the Jororo team at a local park. Rick is off to the side writing something, as if taking notes on the two teams in preparation for a wager. Magnum comes up to him and remarks to him, about making wagers on a game played by 12 year olds. During his explanation, Rick says that he is writing down a recipe for his "mother." I thought Rick was an orphan? Then in "Death Of The Flowers", there is an elaborate scene depicting Rick and his little sister at their parents' funeral, and in walks Ice Pick and gives young Rick some money and offers future assistance. So Rick and his sister were orphans. There were other references to the fact that Rick was an orphan. In "Distant Relative", Rick describes how he got Wendy into "Mother of Mercy College for Girls" and mentions that Chicago is a tough town to grow up in without any parents.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#6 Post by Shermy »

There's also the speech Magnum gives Mad Buck Gibson about baseball only lasting a summer, however long that summer is. Magnum says his dad gave him that advice after he was passed over by major league scouts.

Of course, two seasons later, Magnum is still a kid when his dad is killed.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Maybe he was referring to Frank Peterson, his step-dad!? Didn't Frank mention something about playing baseball?

frog480
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by frog480 »

The dream style eps, normally annoy me, but I did enjoy this one.

salmon58
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by salmon58 »

I can't believe that I just saw something that you super MPI guys/gals haven't mentioned seeing before. Usually you see things I don't even see after I've read about it here!

Anyway, the scene with TM in the bar with the husband, the husband has his back to a window. What should pass by in the street but TC's Island Hoppers van.

Yup, I went back and forth, frame by frame, and it's his van!

Just don't tell me that you guys saw it and didn't think it important enough to mention.
"C'mon, T.C. Nothing can go wrong."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#10 Post by N1095A »

salmon58 wrote:I can't believe that I just saw something that you super MPI guys/gals haven't mentioned seeing before. Usually you see things I don't even see after I've read about it here!

Anyway, the scene with TM in the bar with the husband, the husband has his back to a window. What should pass by in the street but TC's Island Hoppers van.

Yup, I went back and forth, frame by frame, and it's his van!

Just don't tell me that you guys saw it and didn't think it important enough to mention.
It has been mentioned in the episode notes for this episode.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

N1095A

#11 Post by N1095A »

Everyone knows the two "main" watches worn by TM in the series. First was the Chronosport, then the Rolex GMT. I've spotted a third.

At the end of the episode when TM finds the boy's necklace, I noticed the watch he was wearing didn't quite look like the Rolex GMT. The crystal was flat, below the bezel, and had no magnifying bubble like the Rolex. And it appeared the crown was at the 4:00 position rather than the 3:00 on the Rolex. I watched the few seconds of footage frame by frame, and sure enough when the clasp on the watchband becomes visable you can clearly see "SEIKO". The irony here is that I bought a Seiko Diver back in 1990 because it looked like Magnum's Rolex. The Rolex GMT however, is not a dive watch, it's an aviation watch and is not reccomended for diving.
In my semi state of computer literacy I am unable to post screen grabs of this shot. If anyone could capture them and post them I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks,
Mike (N1095A)
Last edited by N1095A on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, nice catch N! So this would be Magnum's backup/dive watch. He's smart not to take his Rolex with him on his dives. ;)

This is the best shot I can get of the watch face, as a millisecond after this frame, a glare flashes and the face is not seen again!

N1095A

#13 Post by N1095A »

Cool, Thanks James. After he picks up the necklace, you can see the clasp, and it clearly has SEIKO in raised letters. How Ironic that I've been wearing a Seiko diver all these years because it looked like TM's Rolex. I was floored when I saw it. There is a picture of my Seiko in the "Collecting Magnum Stuff" thread. The Rolex GMT makes sence considering the story line of it being his father's (a Naval Aviator) watch. The GMT was designed for pilots. This has to go down as the coolest thing I've found since I got the DVD's

AJL
Commander

#14 Post by AJL »

Once again I somewhat don't agree with the majority here, as I thought this one was just awful. Dull, moody, depressive and as I've already said elsewhere on this great board, I hate all the clairvoyant/dreamy/supernatural/whatever stuff.
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

I'm missing something here.

First off, Magnum mentions where they are diving a couple of times and I thought it started with "Kuhu--" something, but James says it's Kakuku and it sure didn't sound like that to me when TM said it. I'm not familiar with that area. A couple of the shots looked more like the Shark's Cove and/or Pupukea Beach. Can rubberchicken confirm Kakuku?

Secondly, what did finding the old WWII airplane on the ocean floor have to do with Keliki'i's being killed "accidentally" by his father when his father blew up HIS father-in-law on the boat so he could sell the business and get the money? Was the WWII aircraft just some kind of red herring here? Why would the kid's swimming ghost be drawing TM to the WWII plane wreck?

And the ending where the father just flies off into the wild blue yonder never to be heard of again -- uh, no justice there. He could have gotten clean away and started a new life. You got the feeling no one ever followed up much to find a murderer!! Just, oh, well, he flew away.

I found that rather lame.

Otherwise I like the ghost/spooky episodes generally. They just need to make sense. This one, I felt, fell a little short there.

golf
"Portside, buddy."