6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 81

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

LION wrote:somebody tell me im not seeing things, in the rapture episode, the part where magnum is in the koho bar talking to Stephen Parker. right at the line where stephen parker says i dont know if i will the next time. cutting the subtitles on might help you pause the dvd at this spot. i see tc's island hoppers van in the window between the wood shades go by. please someone check this out and tell me thats not tc van go by. pause it at this spot thats clearly tc island hopper van going by.
You're not seeing things Mr. Lion. That is T.C.'s vanagon! Not sure if it's intentional or not, but it's pretty neat when you spot it. All of a sudden you're thinking, "Oh, there goes T.C.. I wonder where he's off to?" LOL! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#32 Post by nha trang »

At that point we might as well say you see TC's van-again...lol

Don't worry everyone, no one stepped on any butterflies, it's just that TC's back, you see, he has to warn Magnum about the Libyans before it's too late!

This is a decent episode, I have only minor complaints - some of Selleck's narration seemed a bit lackluster, usually he does a really excellent job, seemed to me like he may not have been completely in the mindset this time.

I also enjoyed the library scene - hanging the CAPE BUFFALO not the water buffalo - Higgins would go stark raving mad! lol I also actually appreciated TC's comment about the "boy from Atlantis" - said in one of his over-acting voices, it actually was quite comical this time...

Ahhhh so nice to be back to watching Magnum PI!

:shock: :D

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#33 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

Can't say that I agree with those who liked this episode. As a parent, the story line just didn't ring true for me. For instance, the father would have found a way to keep his son off the boat. After all he was trying to get rich to provide for his family's future, right? The story would have been easier to swallow if the father had discovered after the fact that the wife let their son go on the boat at the last minute without his knowledge.

But I do love the library scenes. Especially the one where great big Thomas Magnum tries to hide under the table when Higgins walks in and see the enourmous mess he's made with all the books! I would sure love to see that as one of the screen caps on this website!
Rack em up!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I love this episode...one of my favorites of season 6, and the series! :)

The plot, with Magnum trying to solve an old murder from the past (was it a 10 year old murder?) and seeing the eerie and mysterious ghost of the boy under the depths of the sea was "haunting"...but in a captivating way!

The other suspense and action scenes were also fascinating--with the WWII plane trying to run Magnum off the road, and trying to figure out who killed Kali'i-(sp?) and his grandfather! This was a somewhat sad and heart-tugging episode...but mezmorizing too! It was done very well, and the ending was perfect!! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#35 Post by miltontheripper »

Definitely a solid episode. A classic mystery for TM to solve, great underwater scenes, (wish they would have done more of this on the show!) and some funny scenes with TM and higgins in the library, first "hanging" the bull and then TM trashing the place and hiding. Loved it!

mandolabar
Captain

#36 Post by mandolabar »

Lily wrote:Yes! I also thought that the roller stool was rather strange, as it looked very out of place in a library that size! I would have expected to see Robin Masters library lined, floor to ceiling with books, and one of those ladders on a track to reach the higher shelving.
Even a library that size must make allowances for the size of its librarian...and Higgins would need the rolling stool, even if Magnum didn't. :lol:

I think it's right in line with Magnum's sense of fun, that he's rolling along the shelves whether he needed to or not, too...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#37 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

In the MPI universe you can never trust a "suffering father". They're always up to no good.

I think I spotted something that could be classed a flub - when Magnum first visits the hangar he's found out as a fake safety inspector. Yet when he goes there for the third time, the owner talks to him as if doesn't recognize him.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#38 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

AJL wrote:Once again I somewhat don't agree with the majority here, as I thought this one was just awful. Dull, moody, depressive and as I've already said elsewhere on this great board, I hate all the clairvoyant/dreamy/supernatural/whatever stuff.
While this isn't the greatest MPI episode ever, I have to disagree on a matter of principle. MPI is not only about Magnum driving a Ferrari and strolling down the beach with a hot blonde on each arm. It's a complex world with comedy, drama, adventure, darkness and light - just like life itself. And that's what takes MPI to a higher dimension from mere light formulaic entertainment provided by Knight Rider or The A-Team

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#39 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:In the MPI universe you can never trust a "suffering father". They're always up to no good.

I think I spotted something that could be classed a flub - when Magnum first visits the hangar he's found out as a fake safety inspector. Yet when he goes there for the third time, the owner talks to him as if he doesn't recognize him.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#40 Post by Doc Fred »

rubber chicken wrote:I finally got to the airport location, which many people probably correctly guessed as Dillingham Airfield.
You're pretty awesome, Rubber Chicken, and thanks for all the searching and finding of the locations. I'm one who has great interest in filming locations, and truly appreciate all the work you've done. The wife and I will be cruising to Hawaii in October and I'm planning on looking up some of the sites you've found... many thanks.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Rapture (6.11)

#41 Post by Doc Fred »

I know that some don't like the "other world" kind of shows on MPI, but the occasional ones.. this one, Mac's Back, et al... really appeal to me.

Magnum's empathy for the boy's mom was well played and very moving. It was easy to be affected by the mother's loss and Magnum's concern for her. There were other parts of the episode that were fine, but this part was enough for me to think it was an excellent episode, despite some flaws which others have detailed.

The humor in the library was needed to balance the somber feeling regarding the young boy and his mom. Magnum's unequaled destruction of the library bothered me some, as I really don't think he'd just pull the books and then throw them on the floor or wherever they landed. But, when Higgy Baby entered and Magnum tried to hide under the table, now that was funny. I also love how Magnum intentionally uses the wrong words or identities to annoy Higgins, such as call the mounted animal head a "moose".

The interaction between Magnum and Higgins throughout the series is fantastic, and despite the bickering, yelling and angry words, I see their mutual respect and admiration as a major theme in the entire series.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#42 Post by Doc Ibold »

Doc Fred wrote:I know that some don't like the "other world" kind of shows on MPI, but the occasional ones.. this one, Mac's Back, et al... really appeal to me.

Magnum's empathy for the boy's mom was well played and very moving. It was easy to be affected by the mother's loss and Magnum's concern for her. There were other parts of the episode that were fine, but this part was enough for me to think it was an excellent episode, despite some flaws which others have detailed.

The humor in the library was needed to balance the somber feeling regarding the young boy and his mom. Magnum's unequaled destruction of the library bothered me some, as I really don't think he'd just pull the books and then throw them on the floor or wherever they landed. But, when Higgy Baby entered and Magnum tried to hide under the table, now that was funny. I also love how Magnum intentionally uses the wrong words or identities to annoy Higgins, such as call the mounted animal head a "moose".

The interaction between Magnum and Higgins throughout the series is fantastic, and despite the bickering, yelling and angry words, I see their mutual respect and admiration as a major theme in the entire series.

That's one of the things that worries me about a major motion picture movie. I think the easy way out would be to make Higgins a thorn in Magnums side rather than explore the complexities of his character and the underlying respect they have for each other.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#43 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I liked this one. It was one of those "Magnum's going to solve this case no matter what it takes even though he's not actually hired by anyone to do so" episodes. The mother relapsing into her despair the more Magnum tried to help was kind of unique plot. They did stretch in a couple of places, but not to the point that I thought it took away from the logic of the episode.

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#44 Post by magnumette »

Rapture is one of my favorites. The library scenes are hysterical ( zaftig clerk, the mind of magnum) and just wonderful. The denouement is perfect. And I love Magnum's weirdly psychic ways. Maybe it is becasue I lost my father and mother when i was fairly young and used to sleep to see them much like the mother does in this episode. Grief is such a powerful emotion and it is portrayed so well by the local Hawaiian actress . BTW- Titantic has the same theme - a decade later..."ill see you in my dreams" celine dion -

this although melancholy is one of my top 10 magnum's.

tiger73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#45 Post by tiger73 »

Found on incredible blooper in this episode. TC van pass when Magnum is in the bar after arrived with Ferrari :D