4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 81

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: Rapture (6.11)

#46 Post by KingKC »

This show ranks as one of the most memorable of all time for me. I can still see the child in the water motioning to TM. To find out the father and money was the "culrpit" was pretty rough as a reason for the death of a child but to let him just fly off was kind of a "non-ending." I know I like the shows with kids in them but in this one the truth about the child was discovered but there was no justice. MPI had a reputation of not always ending well. Maybe this was just another one of those episodes.

KingKC

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#47 Post by K Hale »

mandolabar wrote:
Lily wrote:Yes! I also thought that the roller stool was rather strange, as it looked very out of place in a library that size! I would have expected to see Robin Masters library lined, floor to ceiling with books, and one of those ladders on a track to reach the higher shelving.
Even a library that size must make allowances for the size of its librarian...and Higgins would need the rolling stool, even if Magnum didn't. :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by T.Q. »

A great episode.

“I have studied Aristotle, Socrates, William Friedrich Hegel, Bertrand Russell. I have toured college campuses debating the virtues of dialectic versus symbolic syllogism. I have written scholarly articles on the need for a new, more dynamic logic. But nothing in my life has prepared me for the workings of the Thomas Magnum mind”.

“I found it Keli’i... I found it”.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by ENSHealy »

Kwanzaa wrote: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:12 pmI enjoyed seeing the library and watching the guys hang the waterbuffalo head. That was a great scene.
nha trang wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 amI also enjoyed the library scene - hanging the CAPE BUFFALO not the water buffalo - Higgins would go stark raving mad! lol
According to the subtitles, you are both wrong, it is a KEG buffalo. I wonder where the tapper is?

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by ENSHealy »

Doc Fred wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:29 am Magnum's empathy for the boy's mom was well played and very moving. It was easy to be affected by the mother's loss and Magnum's concern for her. There were other parts of the episode that were fine, but this part was enough for me to think it was an excellent episode, despite some flaws which others have detailed.
Maybe I'm being melodramatic, but when she says "I've been trying to figure out all afternoon how it is that some people lose everyone who's close to them", you can almost see Magnum ticking off the names in his head....

https://vimeo.com/620132602
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 6.11 RAPTURE

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts: 1
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 1
Higgins Organizations: 1 Anglo-Hawaiian Aeronautical Enthusiast Society
Higgins musings: 2
Negotiations:
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 1
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks: 1
Magnumometer: 8
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/623975998

Blood and Honor and Rapture, which scored 7 and 8 on the Magnumometer, put an end to a long streak of really low scoring episodes. Prior to them, you have to go all the way back to 5.10 Luther Gillis: File #001 to find an episode scoring that high. The intervening 21 episodes averaged only 3.78 on the Magnumometer, with two zeros! (The zeros were the second hour of Deja Vu, and Paniolo.)

Also of note, we’re 10 episodes and 11 hours into Season 6 and this is the first time we encounter a Higgins Musing (at least we get two here). Makes me wonder if I missed one. And Magnum breaks the 4th wall for the first time in Season 6. It’s almost like a “return to normal” episode.

Where would the computer at the estate be pulling this information from? There was no internet back then…unless you were at the DoD or a university, that is (ARPANET), right?
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by charybdis1966 »

I have a confession- I gave up on this one 10 minutes in.
Prolonged underwater scenes are a bit of a turn off for me and annoying kids in episodes are another deterrent.
I know - there’s no Carol Baldwin so it can’t be that bad ?
Something about the story just made me bored.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#53 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:33 pm I have a confession- I gave up on this one 10 minutes in.
Prolonged underwater scenes are a bit of a turn off for me and annoying kids in episodes are another deterrent.
No judgement here, but there are a lot of divers here on the forum who enjoy the underwater scenes. :wink: Lots of kayakers too who enjoy the paddling scenes. :D I count myself in both groups! TM does a lot of open water swimming to so my wife would agree, but me less so. I prefer sailing which is remarkably absent from the series.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:11 am
charybdis1966 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:33 pm I have a confession- I gave up on this one 10 minutes in.
No judgement here, but there are a lot of divers here on the forum who enjoy the underwater scenes. :wink: Lots of kayakers too who enjoy the paddling scenes. :D I count myself in both groups! TM does a lot of open water swimming to so my wife would agree, but me less so. I prefer sailing which is remarkably absent from the series.
You know, as I wrote that last night I felt a bit guilty of not being open to something new to me, even if I usually found that tedious, but as you get older I suppose one can get a bit more narrow minded.

Different strokes and all that - you may recall I'm a big fan of cricket and I know what you're thinking - how can someone who enjoys a very tedious sport find diving boring ?

I'd love for there to have been an episode centred on that sport where Higgins turns out for the Anglo-Hawaiian Cricket Association first XI but 99% of the intended MPI audience would have been bored rigid by that. :higgins:

Pahonu

#55 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:30 am
Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:11 am
You know, as I wrote that last night I felt a bit guilty of not being open to something new to me, even if I usually found that tedious, but as you get older I suppose one can get a bit more narrow minded.

Different strokes and all that - you may recall I'm a big fan of cricket and I know what you're thinking - how can someone who enjoys a very tedious sport find diving boring ?

I'd love for there to have been an episode centred on that sport where Higgins turns out for the Anglo-Hawaiian Cricket Association first XI but 99% of the intended MPI audience would have been bored rigid by that. :higgins:
Different strokes for sure. I do remember some of your cricket comments in the Squeeze Play episode. Did Higgins even reference cricket in the series? I don’t recall. With all Higgins’ British oriented activities, including polo and snooker, it is curious the lack of cricket.

I’ve always thought, given its location in Hawaii, that the show had very few surfing related stories. There were only two, I think, and one was only tangentially. Also, while there were many boating scenes, sailing is surprisingly absent. They managed to create an Ironman episode when triathlon was still incredibly obscure, so something like a story about Higgins involving cricket could have worked also.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by ENSHealy »

Higgins has a cricket match and is kitted out appropriately in Italian Ice. If memory serves, the match was called due to rain, leading Higgins to return to the estate early, catch Katrina lifting a pistol from the gun cabinet, and getting himself shot (as bad as, or worse than, the wound he suffered at El Alamein, again if memory serves).

Which of course led to the classic scene of one of the lads answering the phone. Bonus points if you can remember if it was Zeus or Apollo - I'm not sure off the top of my head.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Pahonu

#57 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:15 pm Higgins has a cricket match and is kitted out appropriately in Italian Ice. If memory serves, the match was called due to rain, leading Higgins to return to the estate early, catch Katrina lifting a pistol from the gun cabinet, and getting himself shot (as bad as, or worse than, the wound he suffered at El Alamein, again if memory serves).

Which of course led to the classic scene of one of the lads answering the phone. Bonus points if you can remember if it was Zeus or Apollo - I'm not sure off the top of my head.
Thanks! Great recollection. :magnum:

How could I have forgotten that? It’s one of my favorites from season 2. :oops:

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by charybdis1966 »

ENSHealy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:15 pm Higgins has a cricket match and is kitted out appropriately in Italian Ice. If memory serves, the match was called due to rain, leading Higgins to return to the estate early, catch Katrina lifting a pistol from the gun cabinet, and getting himself shot (as bad as, or worse than, the wound he suffered at El Alamein, again if memory serves).

I couldn't resist Ensign - I popped my season 2 DVD in and it was Zeus who answered the phone although as I cheated I don't think I will get the bonus points.

Mainly for the cricket reference Italian Ice will be in my top 3 of season 2 (which is one of the best seasons IMHO) but also the great 4th wall break with the girl who says of the Ferrari "I'd give just about anything to ride in one" and Higgins snorting response to TM offering his help with the London Times Crossword "the thought of you (TM) doing the Times crossword, you're not even English". :higgins:
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:36 pm Different strokes for sure. I do remember some of your cricket comments in the Squeeze Play episode. Did Higgins even reference cricket in the series? I don’t recall. With all Higgins’ British oriented activities, including polo and snooker, it is curious the lack of cricket.

I’ve always thought, given its location in Hawaii, that the show had very few surfing related stories. There were only two, I think, and one was only tangentially. Also, while there were many boating scenes, sailing is surprisingly absent. They managed to create an Ironman episode when triathlon was still incredibly obscure, so something like a story about Higgins involving cricket could have worked also.
That's well remembered there, my comments were comparing the shots used in baseball to the equivalent in baseball - something along the lines of there was only one or two shots used in baseball by the hitter (batsman in cricket) namely the pull or hook shot and that most of the skill in cricket derived from how you deal with the bouncing ball - which there is none in baseball.

I am surprised at the lack of sailing or surfing based stories too as the location was ideal for that and while I don't find boating stuff exciting I've always liked the look of the Hawaaiin Islands and the blue sky and sea look great on screen.
Here in Europe the closest thing we have to Hawaii are the Canary Islands which when time and money allows I like to go to holiday there over the Xmas period, Lanzarote being my favourite.

Treadwell
Lieutenant Commander

#60 Post by Treadwell »

"very good"

Like some, I don't care for supernatural stuff, but I just have to accept it's part of the MPI universe and go with it.

Terrible SCUBA safety discipline. Thomas and T.C. wander away from each other---always keep your buddy in sight! Then he goes on two more dives solo! C'mon, Magnum, you're smarter than that. Later, he's at 200' and his guage is already in the red, meaning he isn't going to have enough air for a decompression stop.

He saw the boy BEFORE he ran out of air, which would've been a salient point to bring up when Higgins claimed it was nitrogen narcosis.

He was quite obviously only about 40 feet down, not 100, much less 200.

I'm not surprised to learn much of it was in a relatively small tank---there's a distinctive bleached dead piece of coral that Thomas passes by about four times in one sequence.