6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 90

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

nha trang wrote:One of the best parts of the episode was the "extra" ferrari. What I want to know is, on my DVD it is clearly a charcoal grey color. Is it something with the coloration, or did i just somehow become colorblind?
Haven't seen this in a while, but I think I remember it looking green on my tv. Charcoal grey would be much nicer though - I know it's an actual production colour because next to my dad's office when I was a kid there were two architects who owned matching 308s: one charcoal grey and one bright yellow.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:Another episode that is better upon revisit. It's fun to watch a young Tate Donovan carry the show, a guy who later will become engaged to both Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Aniston! :shock:

This episode is also notable for several rare shots [pic] of the King Kamehameha Club ("Nuuanu Valley Estate" location), including the only shot ever seen of the entrance to the club off of the main road [pic]. There's also a rare shot of the backside of the guesthouse [pic].

Robin has a green Ferrari 308 GTS and Higgins' River Kwai Bridge Model is destroyed again. Body count = 3. Locks picked? Check. Cool car chase? Check. Tidal Pool denouement? Check. Hey, what more can you ask for? A solid episode! ;)
I like how J.J. stated this...pretty much how I now view this episode. In the past I've never really cared for it much...but seeing it again after several years I enjoyed it much more.

I also found it interesting seeing a very young Tate Donovan...man he looked young here! :lol: The green Ferrari was also a nice throw-in, and the action scenes were decent.

Not one of my all-time favorites by any means...but still a pretty enjoyable episode for season 6.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

mandolabar
Captain

#43 Post by mandolabar »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
nha trang wrote:One of the best parts of the episode was the "extra" ferrari. What I want to know is, on my DVD it is clearly a charcoal grey color. Is it something with the coloration, or did i just somehow become colorblind?
Haven't seen this in a while, but I think I remember it looking green on my tv. Charcoal grey would be much nicer though - I know it's an actual production colour because next to my dad's office when I was a kid there were two architects who owned matching 308s: one charcoal grey and one bright yellow.
I just watched it today, and I wasn't paying close attention to the color--I read the comment threads after I watch a given episode, and this is my first time through the whole series--but my mind registered it as grey, as well. I'll have to go back and look. Green can come in grey tones, maybe it's that kind of green.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#44 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'm pretty sure it is green.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

I love how R.J. shows up at the Estate (from the mainland) still wearing his school uniform! LOL! He apparently didn't have time to change clothes before boarding his flight! I guess they just whisked him away from school property and sent him immediately to the airport? I find that extremely funny! :)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#46 Post by J.J. Walters »

Regarding the other Ferrari's color, here is a screen shot:

I have, uh, "issues" with certain colors (particularly green/grey), so I have no idea what color it is. :?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#47 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:after wondering what vehicle Magnum was briefly seen driving in the previous episode, ‘I Never Wanted to Go to France, Anyway…’, it is seen in the background of the Estate here. I presume it is another upgrade to the Jimmy, Robin 3, making it the third version seen on the show.
It's a Jeep Cherokee. It's the replacement for the Jimmy no. 2.

And the Ferrari is definitely green.

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The bridge

#48 Post by InfinityandJellyDoughnuts »

rubber chicken wrote:When was the first time the bridge was destroyed? It would be nice to list that too, I can't remember right now.

The "guesthouse" shot shows how small the boathouse really is. I think before this they've tried to hide that fact more. If I bought the Anderson Estate I'd rebuild the boathouse to Magnum specs. :lol:
The bridge was destroyed for the first time in "The Big Blow" (3.22) near the end of the episode. :wink:
Magnum: I laid awake all night for weeks, on guard against my own fear, until my Dad told me to call the monsters out, and see if they came. They never did. Unfortunately, my Dad never had a solution for the real monsters, the ones that reach out and grab you in broad daylight, and neither did I.

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The bridge

#49 Post by InfinityandJellyDoughnuts »

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts wrote:
rubber chicken wrote:When was the first time the bridge was destroyed? It would be nice to list that too, I can't remember right now.

The "guesthouse" shot shows how small the boathouse really is. I think before this they've tried to hide that fact more. If I bought the Anderson Estate I'd rebuild the boathouse to Magnum specs. :lol:
The bridge was destroyed for the first time in "The Big Blow" (3.22) near the end of the episode. :wink:
Wait never mind. It was destroyed at the BEGINNING of the episode.
Magnum: I laid awake all night for weeks, on guard against my own fear, until my Dad told me to call the monsters out, and see if they came. They never did. Unfortunately, my Dad never had a solution for the real monsters, the ones that reach out and grab you in broad daylight, and neither did I.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Sisophous »

I find it interesting how episodes I rated as boring or sub par yet watch a year or two later I see differently and entertaining. Perhaps this series grows on you over time.

This nephew of Robin Masters, RJ, is such a weasel it becomes annoying yet at the same time kept me thinking what will he do next. Just when you think he will reform himself he connives one last time at the very end.

At least the brat showed some restraint in only whacking Rick in the back of the head with a beer bottle when he was defenseless rather than using a deadly object.

And RJ even short circuits the security gate box after Higgins changed the password to open the front gate. He does whatever it takes.

I think this episode could have been improved if they had Higgins or Magnum put their foot down instead of turning their cheek each time RJ pulled his shenanigans. Overall, I still enjoyed it.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Summer School (6.13)

#51 Post by Doc Fred »

I agree with Bes... this was a very poor episode.... Only the one with the dumb girl from Magnum's high school class was worse (but not by much).

In another show, there was discussion of TC's van driving by in the background when Magnum was inside a building... I think (think) the show may have done something similar this time. When RJ was being chased in his car by the hit men, there was a scene in which he makes a quick left, cutting off a vehicle that looked like Magnum was driving... Not sure if it WAS Magnum, but it sure looked a lot like him.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#52 Post by marlboro »

J.J. Walters wrote:Regarding the other Ferrari's color, here is a screen shot:

I have, uh, "issues" with certain colors (particularly green/grey), so I have no idea what color it is. :?
That looks gray to the point of almost being black to me.

As for the episode: I didn't like it. The kid came across as a psycho to me. I was hoping Rick would pop up in the guys apartment at the end like Mark Wahlberg in The Departed to get some payback for that beer bottle.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by MagnumILWU »

Watching this yesterday on Encore. RJ had his scrapbook on Magnum. I wonder if someone still has the scrapbook?!
"pickled egg please"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by MaximRecoil »

J.J. Walters wrote:Regarding the other Ferrari's color, here is a screen shot:

Croix de Lorraine wrote: And the Ferrari is definitely green.
marlboro wrote: That looks gray to the point of almost being black to me.
That Ferrari, as it appears on the NTSC DVD release, is gray. Here is a 5×5 pixel average sample taken from the lower part of the door:

As you can see, the RGB value is 60, 60, 60, which is a perfect shade of gray. Any color which consists of equal parts of red, green, and blue is a perfect shade of gray, except for 0, 0, 0, which is black, and 255, 255, 255, which is white. I had to test a few spots to find a perfect shade of gray, but regardless of where you test on the car, it is always close to gray. However, green is never the most prominent color; the order of prominence, from highest to lowest, is always blue, green, red. For example, here's a sample from the hood:

So if it could be called anything other gray, it would be blue-gray.

Given that the various shades of green in the lawn and trees show up fine, I can only conclude that the car was gray in reality, just as it appears on the DVD, and Magnum calling it "green" in the episode was an error.

Tobi
Captain

#55 Post by Tobi »

I am in the minority here. I liked both the episode and the grey/green Ferrari!