6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 90

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

RC, my initial source for identifying this car still believes it's a 128. He believes so because:

1) The larger amount of chrome
2) The much more pronounced wheels/rims/hubcaps
3) The sunroof, which may have only be offered on the 6 cylinder models
4) The upholstery appears to be leather

Could you maybe post this on the IMCDB and see what the people there have to say?

For now, I have the note on the Episode Guide as:

The unusual silver vintage car that is seen pulling away when R.J. and Mrs. Graham exit the King Kamehameha Club is a late 1950's "Ponton" model Mercedes-Benz sedan with a Webasto sliding sunroof.

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#32 Post by rubber chicken »

I posted the info on the page. I'm not sure how people on that site come across new comments etc., so I don't know whether or not we should expect a quick response. (?)

I did notice a few things on the wiki pages for the W128 and W121. That first image on the 121 page shows the back seat window being undivided like the one on Magnum, and the picture for the 128 has the window divided. And the 121 page says that "Mercedes also produced ... the larger W128". So maybe all 128s had the divided window because the car was longer? If so that would exclude the Magnum car from being a 128.

And also that 121 picture shows the orange blinker (if that's what it is) on the side, unlike the picture for the 128. The 128 picture shows blinkers or running lights (if that's what they are) above and below the front headlight, unlike the one on Magnum.

But this is just conjecture on my part. I'm pretty bad at identifying cars, and I know next to nothing about the variations of these two models. So I'm not putting my foot down or anything. :)

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by steveadl »

rubber chicken wrote:
I'm pretty bad at identifying cars, and I know next to nothing about the variations of these two models. So I'm not putting my foot down or anything. :)
But I bet you could find any car we ask hidden in dense bush 10km north of Waikiki in the pali mountains within 5 mins... :D

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#34 Post by rubber chicken »

That would be a whole lot quicker than it took me to find Agatha's house, that's for sure. :wink:

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by steveadl »

rubber chicken wrote:That would be a whole lot quicker than it took me to find Agatha's house, that's for sure. :wink:
I still can't believe you found TC's house used in 'Did You See The Sunrise' - now that was very impressive!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#36 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks RC! "DynaMike" has already replied. It appears to be the 121.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#37 Post by rubber chicken »

I see. Thanks to your source for bringing up the topic!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#38 Post by J.J. Walters »

The 1950's "Ponton" Benz is also briefly seen in the opening scene of "All Thieves on Deck"...

Tuan Vu
Captain

#39 Post by Tuan Vu »

I really enjoyed this episode. RJ was like a young Magnum in some ways. He even talked like Magnum ("I can explain everything."), and rationalizes his actions to suit his purposes. Also, he used Rick to track down the license plate of the hitmen, and of course, drove a Ferrari. RJ even looked like Magnum at the end, with the bushy moustache.

All in all, a very enjoyable episode. I rate it an 8.5. Just sorry to hear that Meredith MacRae has passed on. She was very beatiful.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#40 Post by nha trang »

One of the best parts of the episode was the "extra" ferrari. What I want to know is, on my DVD it is clearly a charcoal grey color. Is it something with the coloration, or did i just somehow become colorblind?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

nha trang wrote:One of the best parts of the episode was the "extra" ferrari. What I want to know is, on my DVD it is clearly a charcoal grey color. Is it something with the coloration, or did i just somehow become colorblind?
Haven't seen this in a while, but I think I remember it looking green on my tv. Charcoal grey would be much nicer though - I know it's an actual production colour because next to my dad's office when I was a kid there were two architects who owned matching 308s: one charcoal grey and one bright yellow.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:Another episode that is better upon revisit. It's fun to watch a young Tate Donovan carry the show, a guy who later will become engaged to both Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Aniston! :shock:

This episode is also notable for several rare shots [pic] of the King Kamehameha Club ("Nuuanu Valley Estate" location), including the only shot ever seen of the entrance to the club off of the main road [pic]. There's also a rare shot of the backside of the guesthouse [pic].

Robin has a green Ferrari 308 GTS and Higgins' River Kwai Bridge Model is destroyed again. Body count = 3. Locks picked? Check. Cool car chase? Check. Tidal Pool denouement? Check. Hey, what more can you ask for? A solid episode! ;)
I like how J.J. stated this...pretty much how I now view this episode. In the past I've never really cared for it much...but seeing it again after several years I enjoyed it much more.

I also found it interesting seeing a very young Tate Donovan...man he looked young here! :lol: The green Ferrari was also a nice throw-in, and the action scenes were decent.

Not one of my all-time favorites by any means...but still a pretty enjoyable episode for season 6.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

mandolabar
Captain

#43 Post by mandolabar »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
nha trang wrote:One of the best parts of the episode was the "extra" ferrari. What I want to know is, on my DVD it is clearly a charcoal grey color. Is it something with the coloration, or did i just somehow become colorblind?
Haven't seen this in a while, but I think I remember it looking green on my tv. Charcoal grey would be much nicer though - I know it's an actual production colour because next to my dad's office when I was a kid there were two architects who owned matching 308s: one charcoal grey and one bright yellow.
I just watched it today, and I wasn't paying close attention to the color--I read the comment threads after I watch a given episode, and this is my first time through the whole series--but my mind registered it as grey, as well. I'll have to go back and look. Green can come in grey tones, maybe it's that kind of green.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#44 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'm pretty sure it is green.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

I love how R.J. shows up at the Estate (from the mainland) still wearing his school uniform! LOL! He apparently didn't have time to change clothes before boarding his flight! I guess they just whisked him away from school property and sent him immediately to the airport? I find that extremely funny! :)