7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 90

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Summer School (6.13)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Summer School (6.13). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/9/1986
Robin Master's troubled nephew comes to spend the summer with Higgins, and he quickly puts Magnum's life in danger by impersonating him and taking on a dangerous case.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Another episode that is better upon revisit. It's fun to watch a young Tate Donovan carry the show, a guy who later will become engaged to both Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Aniston! :shock:

This episode is also notable for several rare shots [pic] of the King Kamehameha Club ("Nuuanu Valley Estate" location), including the only shot ever seen of the entrance to the club off of the main road [pic]. There's also a rare shot of the backside of the guesthouse [pic].

Robin has a green Ferrari 308 GTS and Higgins' River Kwai Bridge Model is destroyed again. Body count = 3. Locks picked? Check. Cool car chase? Check. Tidal Pool denouement? Check. Hey, what more can you ask for? A solid episode! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#3 Post by rubber chicken »

When was the first time the bridge was destroyed? It would be nice to list that too, I can't remember right now.

The "guesthouse" shot shows how small the boathouse really is. I think before this they've tried to hide that fact more. If I bought the Anderson Estate I'd rebuild the boathouse to Magnum specs. :lol:

Tralfaz
Admiral

#4 Post by Tralfaz »

rubber chicken wrote:When was the first time the bridge was destroyed? It would be nice to list that too, I can't remember right now.

The "guesthouse" shot shows how small the boathouse really is. I think before this they've tried to hide that fact more. If I bought the Anderson Estate I'd rebuild the boathouse to Magnum specs. :lol:

It is also blown up in Season 7- 'Paper War'
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

The first time was when Higgins accidentally stepped on it in The Big Blow (3.22).
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

tangcameo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by tangcameo »

I'd rate this as one of the bad episodes if it weren't for the following facts:

1. MY first and middle initials are R.J.
2. I'm Canadian
3. I was a Blue Jays fan (at the time).
4. I wanted to be a writer (I still am) or a p.i.

OMG I remember seeing this episode for the first time and I was FLOORED! It was like one of the writer's was some family friend and decided to give young Ryan James a little wish fullfilment. LOL

Thank you to Bruce Cervi!

But two things still bug me:
1. A forest green Ferrari? Puh-lease! Yellow maybe. But green?
2. And R.J. (the fictional one, not me) was such a wuss and a weasel.

But still... Thanks!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by lutherhgillis »

Come one Ensign Tangcameo,

This was a very strong episode. Of course the young aspiring PI was juevenile, that's the point. He got into a great deal of trouble that Magnum has to clean up. Plus, we get to see Meredith McRae (sp?). RJ does show some maturity at the end of the episode. Hopefully, he turned around for good. What if they had used the RJ character to spin off a new detective series? Maybe that would have kept the Hawaii sound stage in operation a few more years?

I didn't like the green Ferrari either. Black would have been better!

tangcameo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by tangcameo »

LOL R.J. P.I.? Ya that wouldn't have made it past a pilot episode. And they would have probably tried filming it in Canada since the character was Canadian. hehe I can just picture that green Ferrari chasing down (or being chased by) bad guys in bad cars on the streets of Saskatoon. And the gold and and green fields of Saskatchewan instead of the white sands and blue waters of Hawaii.

I'm just miffed about the episode because I'd be a better mensch than RJ was. But then there'd be no episode. lol

RJMasters
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by RJMasters »

Ahhhhhh That's better!

I just looked up the membership list and nobody had taken RJMasters yet so I've switched from my obscure Tangcameo to it. :)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

tangcameo wrote:But two things still bug me:
1. A forest green Ferrari? Puh-lease! Yellow maybe. But green?
2. And R.J. (the fictional one, not me) was such a wuss and a weasel.
RJ,

I wasn't a fan of the green Ferrari either. I though it should have been yellow or black. I liked this episode, but I think RJ did remain a weasel to the very end. Didn't RJ pull the wool over Higgins' eyes one final time by selling the green Ferrari right before he left Hawaii? :o How RJ got off that Island without being beaten senseless is beyond me. :?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

Yeah,

RJ was pretty much a punk right up until the end, and really did little else besides make Magnum and Higgins life difficult.

If you were going to put this and Murder 101 side to side, I'd take Murder 101, simply for the fact that it's RJ-less.

RJMasters
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#12 Post by RJMasters »

Actually, Murder 101, if I remember correctly, reminded me the other Summer School, the movie with Mark Harmon. 8)

That green Ferrari, was that a factory original colour? Did Ferrari actually make forest green Ferraris? *queasy*

Now a forest green Jeep! Or a nice yellow (or black or red) Corvette Stingray. Now that would be more this RJ's style. :D

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by lutherhgillis »

Respectfully,

I think you guys are missing the point. If RJ had been a good kid and never got into mischief, there would have been no point in making the episode. After all, Higgins was to teach RJ some discipline. Its also a little funny if you think about RJ as a young anti-Magnum the same way Luther was an old anti-Magnum. Shure RJ was a brat, but I believe he learned a lesson at the end (despite selling Robin's Ferrari for cash- which could not happen without proper title being signed over to the buyer). Oh well, thanks for the lively discussion...

LHG

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by Jodykmg365 »

This is one of my favorite episodes. I thought R.J. was just adorable. He sure knew how to get into trouble. However, if he was 20 years old, what was he still doing in boarding school?

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MPS »

Can't say this was a great episode. Never got to the end of it. On the subect of Ferarri colors however, Forest Green (or Verde Mugello) is actually a stock color. Don't know if it was available for the 308 GTS.

Here is a link to the various colors. We seem to buy a rather limited selection in the US.

http://www.nwrfca.org/faq/colors.html
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?