1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 91

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Mad Dogs and Englishmen (6.14)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Mad Dogs and Englishmen (6.14). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/16/1986
Higgins suddenly announces that he is leaving Robin's Nest, and Magnum becomes determined to find out why.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

A pretty good episode, IMHO.

I love the instant messaging 80s style! Fire up your big 'ol room-sized computer with 256KB of memory, enter your "Access Code", and start typing away at an all black screen. This was even before IRC (Internet Relay Chat) was around. They did a pretty good job of mimicking what "UNIX Talk" would have looked like. Ah, I remember those days. Damn, I'm old. ;)

How about that ending - literally dozens of bad guys are killed by Magnum, Higgins, Rick and T.C.! And TM uses no less than three different types of weapons, including an anti-tank weapon! Yowza.

Anybody know who provided the voice of Robin Masters in this one? The actor is uncredited.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#3 Post by Shermy »

This would've made a pretty good season opener, especially with its setup of Higgins leaving the estate. I like the scene where he drives away leaving Magnum with the lads (and holding the bridge).

It also could've benefited from being a two-parter. By the time we're told what's going on, there's only about 10 minutes left in the show! Even so, it's one of the more creative episodes of the season.

And how about that freaky little Higgins flag? :lol:

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Danno »

I just watched this episode... I loved the first half, but as Shermy said- events don't unfold until ten minutes before the end- which leaves you little time to get over the initial disbelief that such a 'rebellion' shall we say, could ever take place in Hawaii. Definately could have been made much better by being a two episode affair, I agree.

It has some cool action scenes nonetheless and some great shots of TC's chopper whizzing over the Pacific and Hawaiian coast line...
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

James made a comment on the scene where Magnum, Higgins and the guys kill dozens of bad guys. Yeah, this reminds me of the "A-Team" the way the bad guys fly through the air and so on.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Danno »

Higgins looks ridiculous in the slouch hat too imho... :lol:

(Although after he's been wearing those pants that look like they're about to pop for so long, it doesn't really matter...)
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, the end had a real "A-Team" vibe to it, something which thankfully the show didn't do very often. When they did do it, however, I always found it exciting, simply because they DIDN'T do it very much.

How often do you see Magnum firing a LAW 66mm anti-tank weapon!?

:shock:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Carrying over from our discussion about Agatha's car in "Professor Jonathan Higgins", here is Agatha's house as seen in this episode...

It also features a wonderful pagoda in the backyard with a stunning view. Any ideas on the location?

Too bad they couldn't get the Rambler American to park in the driveway. ;)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Sam »

How often do you see Magnum firing a LAW 66mm anti-tank weapon!?

Hi James...If I'm not mistaken,that is an M-72..

Edit...I mis-read it...M-72 is,was a 66mm.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#10 Post by rubber chicken »

I'm really having trouble finding Agatha's place. Seems like it shouldn't be so hard. I'm pretty sure that the gazebo scene is a red herring, and not really at her house location.

James, if you want, you could note in the episode's pages that Agatha's home is seen in this episode, and also in Echoes of the Mind part 2. I tried searching awhile ago but couldn't find any mention of Agatha's home. ( gasp! :shock: )

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

rubber chicken wrote:I'm really having trouble finding Agatha's place. Seems like it shouldn't be so hard. I'm pretty sure that the gazebo scene is a red herring, and not really at her house location.

James, if you want, you could note in the episode's pages that Agatha's home is seen in this episode, and also in Echoes of the Mind part 2. I tried searching awhile ago but couldn't find any mention of Agatha's home. ( gasp! :shock: )
Who are you and what have you done with rubber chicken?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL!!

:lol:

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#13 Post by rubber chicken »

Hehe, even rubber chickens are human you know... or... well... you know what I mean. :P

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Coops »

Did you notice when Rick is talking to TM about the money that is owed (13 dollars and 36 dollars) he slams the phone down. This in turn sends the button face-plate flying and Rick watches in surprise as it hits what looks like glass and bounces back at the phone. Funny stuff.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Coops, are you sure that is from this episode? I didn't see it.