6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 77

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#31 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:This is not a serious or memorable episode for season 6...but it's still enjoyable and interesting just the same. :)

I love the cast of characters, the plot of a valuable Hawaiian statuette being stolen, someone murdered over it, then whodunit? Very Agatha Christie-ish! :D

:
Agreed! I liked the concept of the guys going on a cruise on Robin's tab to play body guard to a Hawiian relic. I enjoyed the supporting cast with the exception of Danny Fry! He got it in the end though so all the better. I agree with those who said they shouldn't have given the villain away by showing the fat white hand holding the gun right in the beginning, very obvious that it was the skipper once he appeared later in the show. Still an enjoyable episode for sure. And a great ending with Thomas talking to Apollo.

mandolabar
Captain

#32 Post by mandolabar »

I had read the description of the ending ahead of time, and so knew who Magnum was talking to--but it was still cute. It looked to me like Tom Selleck stayed where he was for a while like he was waiting for the dog to lick his face or something--and when it didn't, it just seemed strange that he stayed down there for an extended time. Maybe the dog was being difficult or something. But it was a cute "twist" ending, and both Magnum's and Higgins' concern over the dog was well done--expressed differently, and both in character.
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

snp389
Captain

#33 Post by snp389 »

To me, I reckon this ep is strange one.
JQH loves his "lad's"...Apollo & Zeus.
Why would JHH show such indigdation toward his 'own' boy....upon finding him wounded?
And JQH is constantly indifferent to Apollo's condition.
God bless Apollo.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#34 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

IslandHopper wrote:Not one of my favorite episodes. In fact, this may be on my bottom 10 list. However, I do agree with James that the final scene where it is revealed that Magnum has been talking to Zeus was excellent.
Like Higgins would have said (with clenched teeth): "It's Apollo".

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#35 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

timm525 wrote:I really liked this one. Kinda silly but had a good feel to it. 9 for me.

The guy in the beginning that was (presumably) buying the statue in the store looked an awful lot like "Ping" from "China Doll" season 1, ep. #2. I'm guessing it is the same guy?
Isn't that supposed to be Hong Kong though? Funny how quickly Hong Kong morphs into Honolulu, complete with American cars and tourists in Aloha shirts...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#36 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:Moments such as Rick talking to the statuette, which were supposed to be funny, I’m afraid I found pretty embarrassing.
I was surprised to learn he's a Cub fan. He always struck me as a White Sox man...

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

The Shorts!

#37 Post by runawayselleck »

JUst watched this episode. Started well but became quite boring with over the top characters (kind of reminds me of a matinee performance of a stage show where everyone is over acting). I did like some scenes such as the TC telling the vet that the dog works out a lot, and Selleck looked good in his suit. Have to say the most funny scene was when Selleck is talking to (SPOILER!) the dogs at the end. He is wearing a nice shirt/top (the kind one buys at Fat Face, a nice clothing store here in the UK) I said to my wife, "That's a nice top" and then Selleck gets up to reveal he is wearing one of the most obscene pair of shorts yet! My wife squealed "Oh my god!, look at him!" Selleck certainly liked his shorts spray painted on.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#38 Post by Doc Fred »

J.J. Walters wrote:Here's more evidence that I can't find my way out of a paper bag. This is the house where Magnum finds the dead body of Phillipe Dumout....

Magnum enters the house from the ocean side, where we can see Rabbit Island in the background...

... so it's gotta be somewhere in, or near, Waimanalo Beach. Looking up and down the coast of this area in Google Maps, I simply CAN NOT find it! RC, I don't know how you do it, but it's impressive!
Yes, it's somewhere along there in reality.... I had thought it was one of the houses south of the estate, maybe two or three houses down. Also, it's highly possible that the house in the picture you posted isn't where the next shot of Magnum with Rabbit Island in the back is shot.

The problem with it being there, though, is that right before we get to that scene, the story tells us that the ship (NOT boat! :D ) is anchoring off Kauai, not Oahu.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: All Thieves on Deck (6.15)

#39 Post by Stelth »

I loved this episode! First of all, it had the Skipper. Last week I happened to read Sherwood Schwartz's book about Gilligan's Island and Schwartz praised Alan Hale for his great work ethic and said was as nice and fun-loving in real life as he was on TV. The end, where Magnum is talking to Apollo, was really nice touch. This was a fun episode. Finally, Shelly Smith was really hot. Back in the day, I would have been happy to fertilize her eggs.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#40 Post by J.J. Walters »

Alan Hale Jr. starred in two of my favorite Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes: The Crawling Hand (1963) and The Giant Spider Invasion (1975). He played a Sheriff in both of them. The Gilligan/Skipper jokes were aplenty. :)

What a career he had. 55 years, 200+ movies/TV roles. But I guess he'll always be remembered as "The Skipper".
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Stelth »

Alan Hale owned a restaurant back in the day. He would walk around and talk to the guests. I wish I could have experienced going there and meeting him. If I had a time machine that would be one of the destinations I chose.
http://www.oldlarestaurants.com/lobster-barrel/

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#42 Post by marlboro »

J.J. Walters wrote:Yeah, that's one big band aid! LOL!

You're sig pretty much sums it up:

"It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!"

There just weren't enough laughs in this one for me. Even though the bad guy is revealed in the opening scene (they may as well have had him whistling the Gilligan's island theme while he shot Lupo) I still thought there was some potential for a decent mystery as magnum tries to sort through the multitude of thieves. The revelation that the plot hinges around toy designs was a bit of a disappointment. It reminds me of a Rockford files episode where the Maguffin turned out to be a secret formula for ultra durable blue jeans.

It's odd that the gum chewing archeologist didn't realize that the statue was a fake.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#43 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought this one was pretty good. It did seem odd that Higgins was so non chalant about Apollo having been shot in parts of the episode. The convuluted plot of whom was behind it all and then all of the guns coming out was a pretty good comedy bit. The reveal that it was all over the hugely competitive TOY buisness was also kind of funny. My major gripes were Rick having drank so much while on gaurd duty and Magnum putting off relieving Rick for no real reason for so long kind of hurt the scene where Rick was "poisoned." I *think* this is as close as the show came to a "lads centric" episode too.

EZiller
Captain

#44 Post by EZiller »

Fun episode, although Apollo getting shot was heart wrenching. Of course you knew he would recover, but excellent performances by the lads. Brilliant job by Hillerman at the vets office. Higgins was doing everything he could to remain the stoic soldier but he's clearly on pins and needles. Also interesting to see how TM's relationship with the lads has evolved. Final scene with TM, with the stogie and brandy, discussing how he solved the case was great, although you knew he was talking to Apollo. Great to have Alan Hale on board, I didn't realize the Skipper was still staying busy almost 20 years after "Gilligan" went off the air. They could have had Bob Denver play that dumbass Paul Sand. Shelly Smith was hot! Top ten MPI babe. Should have had her in a gratuitous swim suit scene.

magnum1911
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#45 Post by magnum1911 »

The shooter in the alley in the beginning of this episode uses an HK P7 9mm (squeeze cocker). A unusual pistol in that it has a safety lever in the grip which must be squeezed in order for the pistol to fire. Here is a pic of one from my personal collection. Sorry guys I'm a gun nut.Image