4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 77

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: All Thieves on Deck (6.15)

#41 Post by Stelth »

Alan Hale owned a restaurant back in the day. He would walk around and talk to the guests. I wish I could have experienced going there and meeting him. If I had a time machine that would be one of the destinations I chose.
http://www.oldlarestaurants.com/lobster-barrel/

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#42 Post by marlboro »

J.J. Walters wrote:Yeah, that's one big band aid! LOL!

You're sig pretty much sums it up:

"It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!"

There just weren't enough laughs in this one for me. Even though the bad guy is revealed in the opening scene (they may as well have had him whistling the Gilligan's island theme while he shot Lupo) I still thought there was some potential for a decent mystery as magnum tries to sort through the multitude of thieves. The revelation that the plot hinges around toy designs was a bit of a disappointment. It reminds me of a Rockford files episode where the Maguffin turned out to be a secret formula for ultra durable blue jeans.

It's odd that the gum chewing archeologist didn't realize that the statue was a fake.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#43 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought this one was pretty good. It did seem odd that Higgins was so non chalant about Apollo having been shot in parts of the episode. The convuluted plot of whom was behind it all and then all of the guns coming out was a pretty good comedy bit. The reveal that it was all over the hugely competitive TOY buisness was also kind of funny. My major gripes were Rick having drank so much while on gaurd duty and Magnum putting off relieving Rick for no real reason for so long kind of hurt the scene where Rick was "poisoned." I *think* this is as close as the show came to a "lads centric" episode too.

EZiller
Captain

#44 Post by EZiller »

Fun episode, although Apollo getting shot was heart wrenching. Of course you knew he would recover, but excellent performances by the lads. Brilliant job by Hillerman at the vets office. Higgins was doing everything he could to remain the stoic soldier but he's clearly on pins and needles. Also interesting to see how TM's relationship with the lads has evolved. Final scene with TM, with the stogie and brandy, discussing how he solved the case was great, although you knew he was talking to Apollo. Great to have Alan Hale on board, I didn't realize the Skipper was still staying busy almost 20 years after "Gilligan" went off the air. They could have had Bob Denver play that dumbass Paul Sand. Shelly Smith was hot! Top ten MPI babe. Should have had her in a gratuitous swim suit scene.

magnum1911
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#45 Post by magnum1911 »

The shooter in the alley in the beginning of this episode uses an HK P7 9mm (squeeze cocker). A unusual pistol in that it has a safety lever in the grip which must be squeezed in order for the pistol to fire. Here is a pic of one from my personal collection. Sorry guys I'm a gun nut.Image

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Milton Collins »

This is a fun episode an 8.0 for me.

- Love seeing Seth (William Windham) from Murder She Wrote!

- Probably couldn't have hated the Danny Frye character or actor much more but I guess that was the point lol

- Totally love Rick talking about old school Cubs to the amakua, the addition of the guys love for sports is one of my favorite parts of the show!

- Just an overall fun whodunnit on a cruise ship atmosphere. The denouement with Magnum drinking brandy and smoking a cigar while talking to Apollo was incredibly well done and very cool!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by KingKC »

I clearly remember this one as "Magnum meets the Love Boat." A little overacting all through it. I hate to see animals "suffer" even though I know it is just a TV show. Being on the ship sure took the Hawaii feel away from this episode. Alan Hale is a pretty good actor though and made this one a little more memorable but just an OK episode.

KingKC

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#48 Post by K Hale »

mandolabar wrote:I had read the description of the ending ahead of time, and so knew who Magnum was talking to--but it was still cute. It looked to me like Tom Selleck stayed where he was for a while like he was waiting for the dog to lick his face or something--and when it didn't, it just seemed strange that he stayed down there for an extended time. Maybe the dog was being difficult or something. But it was a cute "twist" ending, and both Magnum's and Higgins' concern over the dog was well done--expressed differently, and both in character.
Most (not all) dogs don't like people to stick their faces in the dog's face. Apollo looked a little uncomfortable with the situation. Similarly, most (not all) dogs don't like to be hugged, and there were a few scenes in the show's run where somebody, such as that Marine boxer's daughter, hugged one or both of the lads and they clearly were showing discomfort. Of course these are well trained working dogs but still.

I loved all the lads-related scenes in this, I found them very touching. The scene where the vet asks Higgins, "Would you like to see him?" and we can hear Apollo whining in the next room is really poignant. And the ep itself is fun to watch. The would-be novelist captain was great.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by K Hale »

SignGuyHPW wrote:I thought this one was pretty good. It did seem odd that Higgins was so non chalant about Apollo having been shot in parts of the episode.
He's not nonchalant, he sat there in the waiting room the rest of the day and apparently all night long before he finally headed for the boat with the evidence to apprehend the man who shot Apollo. (My fav line here was when he tells Magnum "Please direct me to him.") He may not be weeping and freaking out, but that wouldn't be Higgins.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

HTWoodson
Ensign

#50 Post by HTWoodson »

My favorite quote from this episode: "We're from Idaho. Potatoes."

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Little Garwood »

Milton Collins wrote:Totally love Rick talking about old school Cubs to the amakua, the addition of the guys love for sports is one of my favorite parts of the show!
A great missed opportunity was Magnum, P.I. *not* mentioning the Detroit Tigers' legendary 1984 championship-winning season. Why was this not given a "shout out"? After all, they did have Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker on an episode--great players both, playing themselves; though they acted as badly as the 1989 Detroit Tigers played.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#52 Post by nha trang »

All Thieves on Deck, well... entertaining, a bit silly

But...

the skipper too!

Nha Trang

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re: All Thieves on Deck (6.15)

#53 Post by ENSHealy »

J.J. Walters wrote: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:56 pm Hey, nice pickup on Tom Lupo IH! What does a stuntman have to do in order to get a screen credit?!*

* I guess the answer is "he needs a speaking line"! ;)
But as Island Hopper pointed out in the post before yours, Roland Nip doesn't have a line either, and he is credited. Or are you saying that a stuntman requires a line for a credit, but an established actor can get one without a speaking line? Because purely based on what happens in this episode, either they both should have been credited or neither.

While we're on the subject of Tom Lupo, it looks like William Windon isn't the only Star Trek connection in this episode:
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by ENSHealy »

Shermy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:55 pm Unfortunately, this whodunit approach is rendered pointless by the decision to show the killer in the opening scene. If the physical clues weren't a dead giveaway, they even reveal his voice!
I think they did attempt to insert a little confusion about who it might be. First, in the opening scene Alan Hale didn't use his "Skipper" voice. His tone was a little gruff and left some doubt as to whether it was him or not.

Second, the captain had a similar body shape to Russell Tater, and I think they were using him as a possible killer alternative in some scenes. Note the pinky ring variations.

In the first scene, the killer has a pinky ring:

The next time we see Russell Tater, no pinky ring:

Then we see Russell Tater with what looks like a wedding band, albeit on the wrong finger:

The captain definitely has a pinky ring. Not the same one as the killer, but it's a pinky ring.

Whoever it is breaking into this room has the killer's pinky ring on, we've seen Russell and the Captain without different rings on, could the killer be a third person?

Granted, I haven't come up with a good theory on why the Captain would have been in Hong Kong a month previous...maybe he was on vacation.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#55 Post by ENSHealy »

J.J. Walters wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:27 pm Yeah, that's one big band aid! LOL!

I don't know, it looks like a regular band aid to me, especially in this shot. It just looks outsized because it's on his face, and we don't usually see band-aids in that perspective. Or maybe he just has a really small head!

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence