4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 77

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

James J. Walters wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:Also, people seem to celebrate the final scene, where Magnum (whom we assume is talking to Higgins) is actually talking to Apollo – but personally, I saw the ‘surprise reveal’ a mile off!
For me, it's not the twist that makes it such a great scene, although the twist is a fun one. It's just one of those iconic, memorable denouements where nothing much happens, yet it somehow says so much about the show and its characters - Magnum, sneaking around in the study, Brandy and cigar in hand, reflecting on the most recent case and the life lessons that were learned. The scene also demonstrates what a long way his relationship with "The Lads" has come. At this point, instead of loathing them, he loves them! It's little things like this that make the show so great. :)
I'll happily agree that it's one of the show's nice amusing ends to an episode - maybe I concentrated too heavily that I found it obvious who TM was talking to. I agree ending where little happens yet a lot is said is good.
Anyway, I just watched 'The Island Isn't Big Enough...' ...now THAT's a bad episode! Review tomorrow. :)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:Magnum's stunt double (Tom Lupo, I think is his name) is the guy we see in Hong Kong with the Amakua, and then running from the gang. He is chased into the alley and behind the buildings and is caught by the thugs. Just then another guy (Tate) is seen walking casually into the scene with a handgun. Tom Lupo's character then reaches for his gun and is shot and presumably killed by Tate. Why didn't Tom Lupo's character pull his gun on the gang before they got to him when he realized he was trapped??? Did the writers really need to give Tate a reason to kill the guy? I think it was shown later in the episode that he and others were willing to kill just for the contents held within the Amakua. The opening scene would have been more believable if Lupo's character didn't have a gun at all.

Although Tom Lupo is seen in the beginning of the episode for a minute or two he is not credited with an appearance. In contrast, Ronald Nip (China Doll, Memories Are Forever, Billy Joe Bob, Little Girl Who), the pawnbroker, that Lupo's character gives the Amakua to is credited and is only seen in the episode for about 10 seconds and has no dialogue. Why isn't Tom Lupo given any screen credit? I don't think this is the first time he hasn't been given a screen credit. He also appeared in "Mr. White Death" and "One Picture Is Worth" and I don't believe he received a credit for those appearances either.
Here's a screen cap of Tom Lupo, Selleck's longtime stunt double and stand-in...

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#23 Post by timm525 »

I really liked this one. Kinda silly but had a good feel to it. 9 for me.

The guy in the beginning that was (presumably) buying the statue in the store looked an awful lot like "Ping" from "China Doll" season 1, ep. #2. I'm guessing it is the same guy?

Also for you gun buffs, when the guy that sold the statue gets shot in the alley by "Skipper", the gun that he shoots him with is a H&K P7 (squeeze cocker). After the guy is shot, you can visible see the shooter's left hand fingers release the squeeze cocker.

Seeing Apollo laying there shot was heart wrenching. And to see Zeus run up to him and put his neck on him like that was really awesome. Those were some extraordinarily trained dogs. They really added to the show and I'm glad Selleck and Hillerman spoke up to keep them in the show.

Couldn't believe I saw "Skipper" walk onto the boat and talk to TM. I kept waiting for him to yell "Gilligan!"

I was surprised to see an aged William Windom, I know he played on a lot of 80's shows but to me he will always be Commodore Decker from Star Trek, The Doomsday Machine.

Couldn't place the countess as being the chick from Superman II. I knew she looked familiar though.

I liked the very end with TM talking to Apollo on the couch. I'm glad he made it too!

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#24 Post by timm525 »

Oh, and one more thing, what's with the 9" long band aide on that guy's right side of his head/face? I never saw a band aide that big in my life! I know they wanted to bring attention to is to show he was the guy that shot Apollo and got bit/scratched but that was over kill!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, that's one big band aid! LOL!

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

firefly
Commander

#26 Post by firefly »

two things that struck me as a bit off; in the opening scene tom lupos character goes into the shop to make the exchange, but they do it right in front of the huge storefront window? the other thing was that while rick is gaurding the amuakua on the boat, er i mean ship :lol: , rick drinks the entire bottle and then has more once the countess shows up yet isn't passed out on the floor? all i gotta say is man, rick sure can handle his booze.

one other point, i have to wholeheartedly agree with timm, he will always be Commodore Decker to me.

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#27 Post by timm525 »

timm525 wrote: ...I was surprised to see an aged William Windom, I know he played on a lot of 80's shows but to me he will always be Commodore Decker from Star Trek, The Doomsday Machine...
Just watched this ep again and noticed that William Windom's name on the show was "Captain James T. Lyle"...

He played on Star Trek with "Captain James T. Kirk"...

Was that supposed to be a "hidden" tie in of some sort? Of all the names to name a character with the rank of "Captain" but "James T." anything. Seems odd if it wasn't done intentionally.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is not a serious or memorable episode for season 6...but it's still enjoyable and interesting just the same. :)

I love the cast of characters, the plot of a valuable Hawaiian statuette being stolen, someone murdered over it, then whodunit? Very Agatha Christie-ish! :D

I rated this one "Pretty Good"...as I think it is! :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Frodoleader »

Something else I thought of: didn't Alan Hale Jr "Skipper", break the fourth wall on occassion on Gilligan's Island? Wouldn't that have been great if he did that on this episode?
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#30 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Frodoleader wrote:Something else I thought of: didn't Alan Hale Jr "Skipper", break the fourth wall on occassion on Gilligan's Island? Wouldn't that have been great if he did that on this episode?
Yeah, I think he used to do it after Gilligan would do something really stupid.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#31 Post by miltontheripper »

MaiTaiMan wrote:This is not a serious or memorable episode for season 6...but it's still enjoyable and interesting just the same. :)

I love the cast of characters, the plot of a valuable Hawaiian statuette being stolen, someone murdered over it, then whodunit? Very Agatha Christie-ish! :D

:
Agreed! I liked the concept of the guys going on a cruise on Robin's tab to play body guard to a Hawiian relic. I enjoyed the supporting cast with the exception of Danny Fry! He got it in the end though so all the better. I agree with those who said they shouldn't have given the villain away by showing the fat white hand holding the gun right in the beginning, very obvious that it was the skipper once he appeared later in the show. Still an enjoyable episode for sure. And a great ending with Thomas talking to Apollo.

mandolabar
Captain

#32 Post by mandolabar »

I had read the description of the ending ahead of time, and so knew who Magnum was talking to--but it was still cute. It looked to me like Tom Selleck stayed where he was for a while like he was waiting for the dog to lick his face or something--and when it didn't, it just seemed strange that he stayed down there for an extended time. Maybe the dog was being difficult or something. But it was a cute "twist" ending, and both Magnum's and Higgins' concern over the dog was well done--expressed differently, and both in character.
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

snp389
Captain

#33 Post by snp389 »

To me, I reckon this ep is strange one.
JQH loves his "lad's"...Apollo & Zeus.
Why would JHH show such indigdation toward his 'own' boy....upon finding him wounded?
And JQH is constantly indifferent to Apollo's condition.
God bless Apollo.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#34 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

IslandHopper wrote:Not one of my favorite episodes. In fact, this may be on my bottom 10 list. However, I do agree with James that the final scene where it is revealed that Magnum has been talking to Zeus was excellent.
Like Higgins would have said (with clenched teeth): "It's Apollo".

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#35 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

timm525 wrote:I really liked this one. Kinda silly but had a good feel to it. 9 for me.

The guy in the beginning that was (presumably) buying the statue in the store looked an awful lot like "Ping" from "China Doll" season 1, ep. #2. I'm guessing it is the same guy?
Isn't that supposed to be Hong Kong though? Funny how quickly Hong Kong morphs into Honolulu, complete with American cars and tourists in Aloha shirts...