4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 77

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re: This Island Isn't Big Enough (6.16)

#21 Post by Milton Collins »

This episode never stands out to me as being a really good one but it also isn't bad either in my opinion, and I gave it a 7.5. Gordon K was pretty silly but I thought the actor made it bearable (as long as you know it is coming and to expect how dumb it is, the first time I watched this one I absolutely HATED him lol). A few things that stood out:

- Is it just me or is Carol pretty hot in this one? No gray hair and she seemed to be dressed better than usual. Anway, just something I noticed.

- I loved how Rick saw the writing on the wall and got off that boat, those guys clearly wern't fooling around and were going to kill everyone on board.

- Is that a new room where they watch Carol's projector and then have the planning meeting with the chalkboard trying to figure the situation out? I'm not sure that I've seen it before but now that I think about it, it could be the room from "Photo Play" where Higgins is watching his snooker tournament. It sure looks a lot like it but I can't say for sure.

- That fights scene on the rooftop was RIDICULOUSLY funny! The whole scene is pretty cheesy for a show that usually did a very solid job on fight scenes. And if they had only pushed Gordan a little farther off the building..........totally kidding. He was very ridiculous and somewhat annoying but I wouldn't have wanted him to fall off the building, he wasn't that bad!

Anyway, not a very memorable or significant episode but not all that bad either. Just one that kind of comes and goes and fades back into season 6, which is a season I happen to like. There are far better ones from this season that make it a solid season in my opinion.

JKuriako
Ensign

#22 Post by JKuriako »

I rather liked this episode, even with the parts where Rick was in it (found him annoying at times not as much as Agatha or some of the female actresses on the show such as the one who fantasized about Magnum being a character she made). Honestly I felt he was believable as a police officer yeah its obvious he's not someone who will do things by the book and that he quotes John Wayne and wants to make a name for himself, lots of people do heck Magnum tried acting like Mrs. Marble in order to solve a case and that was kinda annoying.

Personally I would've loved to see more episodes with Gordon in them like maybe more serious ones where it shows why he did quote the Duke all the time. Maybe the childhood hero. To me I'd give it the 10 rating but that's just again me.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by KingKC »

I think the only thing memorable about this show was the John Wayne wannabe's impersonations. I didn't say he was good or that the episode was good...I just said he made it memorable.

KingKC

Nifty911
Captain

#24 Post by Nifty911 »

Contrasted to other episodes, I didn't think the characters showed a believable concern or urgency for a friend who was missing - other than the trip to the morgue. It's like everyone was going on about their business. You would think they would think Rick was dead and had been tossed overboard (which I have to ask why not do that with the other bodies).

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by K Hale »

I can hardly stand this episode or the irritating John Wayne guy. So much about it made no sense. Its only redeeming feature is the slideshow scene where they are laughing at the bad pictures. And yes I think that was the same room that the satellite TV was in.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I too must have blocked out this episode since I had only seen it once before. I also misremembered it as a "Higgins being stranded" episode, having confused it with "Autumn Warrior".

Katsumoto as a character is not the best fit here, given how episodes like "Under World" treated its plot with far less comic relief. He fares much better in "A.A.P.I" (where even he plays "straight man" to Luther Gillis :luther:).

The hotel "on the west shore" that Carol referred to is actually the Ilikai Hotel, near the Ala Wai Boat Harbor. Note the distinctive blue decks, noticeably different from the decks of the Waikiki Beach Hotel, which was the actual location for the rooftop fight.

It will show up again as an exterior location for the P.I. convention in "A.A.P.I.".

brianw
Rear Admiral

#27 Post by brianw »

An OK episode. The girl was hot.... that's about it.

Artie Canoe
Captain

#28 Post by Artie Canoe »

I still really enjoy this episode and don't find the John Wayne character to be as grating as some here do. They probably went a little too easy on the girl though, considering she already knew about the location of the island the first time Magnum and "John" visited. All in all, a nice little story wrapped up neatly with a lot of camaraderie shown among the main cast.

My favorite part is when Carol is showing the photos of the supposed gangsters:
:magnum: "Which one is he?"
:arrow: "The one in the back, with the hat on."

"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

North
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#29 Post by North »

I just watched this episode this morning (my three times a week stationary bike workout) and found it fun if you didn't think too hard. I also picked up on a funny coincidence... the name of the lead guest actress, Jenny Sherman (quite easy on the eyes despite the typical 80's shoulder pads and make-up by the pound) was the name of the Hawaii five O secretary in the original series for much of it's run.
North (aka John)

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#30 Post by nha trang »

You guys summed this one up well, I rated it "7.5" this time around. My DVD S6d4 skips a bit on this episode and the previous one so I missed a few seconds of the action (didn't see Rick after his boat was boarded etc).

Not very good but yes memorable, potential cult favorite, hey memorable is better than forgettable!

A few things before I leave:

Why is Carol pretty hot in this episode? (I usually don't care for her)
Jenny Sherman is a babe, even in the 80's garb
TC's chopper takes off to see Rick with short skids and the skids miraculously grow while flying out to sea!
Why do I have amnesia about ever having seen this living room set before?

Nha Trang
Last edited by nha trang on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by K Hale »

As I recall, that living room set is only seen in this episode and Photo Play. I think of it as the “media room.”
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#32 Post by nha trang »

K Hale, yeah that makes sense. The "media room" messed with my mental map of the estate!

Nha Trang

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#33 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:As I recall, that living room set is only seen in this episode and Photo Play. I think of it as the “media room.”
I think it’s also used in The Kona Winds.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#34 Post by ENSHealy »

Croix de Lorraine wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:10 pm Possible flubs:

- When TM first visits Reed's office and the girl tells him to go he says "If you change your mind I'm on the book". But unless I missed it he never told her his name in the first place.

- We learn that Higgins brough Lily to Oahu 40 years ago, but what was he doing on the island? Wasn't he in the Army then?
He definitely introduced himself: https://vimeo.com/637613379

I had the same thought about Lily coming to Oahu. Perhaps it is a Higgins backstory continuity flub, as Higgins seems to imply he was in Hawaii 40 years ago, but we know he arrived in 1972. He states “In the light just now, I saw in you the little girl who arrived here some 40 years ago” which makes it sound like he saw her arriving in Hawaii. Of course, he could just be referencing having seen her in her original locale, but it does sound more like he's saying he was there at the time. (Or as he would put it, “I was there, you know.") Also, Lily says "I mean, how many children were you responsible for bringing to a new land?" which again, makes it sound like he was in Hawaii, "bringing" people there, when this happened. Otherwise, it would have been more correct to say "sending to a new land" if he was doing this from somewhere else. The Higgins timeline mentions he was in Shanghai briefly in 1946 (40 years ago) so perhaps it was there, but in the opening scene they seem to be speaking Japanese, implying that Lily is a Japanese emigre, and of course she is connected with "probably the most powerful man in the infrastructure of the Japanese Yakusa". I don't know enough about WWII to know if there would have been Japanese to re-settle from Shanghai in 46, but if so, why not just back to Japan? She looks more South Asian/Polynesian than Japanese*, however, so perhaps she just picked up her Japanese from your Yakuza boyfriend. (Or maybe it's not Japanese...unlike James Bond, I did not take a 1st at Cambridge in Oriental Languages -I just watched You Only Live Twice last night....)
https://vimeo.com/637073900
*Not that the casting directors of Magnum ever worried about casting Asian actors with lineage tracing to the country of the character they were supposed to be portraying...Clyde Kusatsu and Sook-Tek Oh of Japanese and Korean ancestry playing Vietnamese characters being case exhibits number 1 and 2.
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by ENSHealy »

Kalai-pahoa wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:56 am You can see here the original wall: http://macpro.buzznet.com/photos/archive/?id=884280
It was repainted at 3049 Ualena St.
The image links are broken in this post, but I thought it was worthwhile posting a new image of the repainted version on Ualena Street:

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."