No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 95

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Way of the Stalking Horse (6.17)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Way of the Stalking Horse (6.17). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/20/1986
Magnum takes on a case to find a man's missing father, and soon finds himself the target of a ruthless hit man.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, now this is what I'm talkin' about! A brilliant episode!

It's amazing how different this episode feels from most episodes. It's dark, gritty, and filled with both emotional and physical pain. The pacing is almost perfect, and I love how the tension and suspense are built.

A great script by Bruce Cervi (who always delivers), perfect cinematography by John C. Flinn (dark and moody), and a wonderful, fresh approach by director John Llewellyn Moxey, who uses several "new" (for MPI) film making techniques, like cross cutting and layered sequence shots. For instance, the sequence where Driscoll and Magnum are healing from their wounds at different locations (and getting ready for the inevitable showdown).

If they could have extended the ending a bit, and had a wounded Magnum and a wounded Driscoll fight hand-to-hand, after the gunfight, and with maybe Mary Elizabeth jumping in, this would have been a perfect episode, IMHO! It's still a great ending, but I was left wanting more! I wanted to see an EPIC battle between TM and Driscoll in that dark building!

This would be a great episode to show somebody who's never seen MPI.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Miss Q »

This is one of my favorite episodes and its rarely shown on the air....

I love the 'dark' side of Magnum, its real, its human, very believable.

I might have to dig out my tape and watch this tonight.
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks to MM Forum member Vanity, a longstanding "Magnum Mystery" has been solved! Has Magnum ever worn a seatbelt? If so, when? The answer is Yes, in this episode!

:shock:

He doesn't wear it for long, however. In the same driving sequence, he has it on, then seconds later, he doesn't! And then, he won't be seen using one again until later in Season Seven!

"You know, with all the car chases I'm involved in, I probably should wear a seatbelt. You know, for safety and all." [tries on seatbelt] "Nah, too tight". [takes seatbelt off]

Hehe

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Vanity »

Thanks for the credit James.
By the way, there's another episode where TM wears the seatbelt:
in Little Girl Who (episode 7.7 - bonus episode on season 6), the scene where he drives into the Estate with Lily Catherine and stops the car.
I guess he wore it because she had to wear it too....but there's a quick snap of the seatbelt on.
I know what you're thinking...

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Frodoleader »

A couple of things I'd like to add: first, I too noticed the different filming techniques used in this epi. There were some close-up shots, that I felt were not typical of a normal TV show. More sophisticated cinematic treatments maybe? Also, the scene with TM wearing a seatbelt immediately caught my eye too! A good catch to Vanity on that one.
One more thing. This episode reminded me of Tran Quoc Jones, in how the street kid that helps TM, disappears at the end of the episode. There seemed to be no "happy ending", with everyone riding off in to the sunset. Mary Elizabeth just seems to vanish.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

Best part of this episode (of course I'm paraphrasing) when Magnum is in the hospital and Icepick comes in.

(of course paraphrasing).

Icepick: There's no ethics anymore! When a guy got hit, he got hit, not everybody around him!
Magnum: Thanks Icepick. I didn't know you knew Theo Wolfe.
Icepick: I've never met Theo Wolfe
Magnum: Why are you doing this?
Icepick: He hit a buddy of mine. You never saw me.

AWWWWWWWWW. Icepick is implying that Magnum is his buddy.

(Insert cheesy 80's sitcom music)

Now, my cruddy rendition from memory isn't the best, but if someone wanted to get the EXACT quote, I think it would make a great addition to the "Quotes" section for this episode.

Thoughts, James?

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#8 Post by IslandHopper »

I agree Doc. That was a nice moment. It was reminiscent of the moments between Magnum and Higgins when they stick up for each other.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:Best part of this episode (of course I'm paraphrasing) when Magnum is in the hospital and Icepick comes in.

Now, my cruddy rendition from memory isn't the best, but if someone wanted to get the EXACT quote, I think it would make a great addition to the "Quotes" section for this episode.

Thoughts, James?
Great scene Doc! Icepick's got Magnum's back, as well. ;)

I've added it to the Episode Guide.

(Icepick walks into Magnum's hospital room)
Icepick: You outta get a tennis ball. It'll bring that grip back in no time. I've seen guys lose a hand. A tennis ball, makes the other hand twice as strong.
Magnum: Tennis ball?! Right.
Icepick: You are wondering why I am here?
Magnum: No, well, yes, I'm glad to see you.
Icepick: Ethics Magnum. Nobody knows about ethics no more. In the old days there would never be this kind of garbage where everybody gets hit. The guy that got hit, he got hit thats all, not everybody around him. There's no ethics!
Magnum: I know you didn't just come here to talk to me about ethics.
Icepick: No I didn't, no. Just let me talk. All you have to do is listen.
(Magnum shakes head up and down)
Icepick: Now, the "hitter's" name is Driscoll. He's new in the "business", looking to make a name for himself. He took on a contract that nobody has been able to fill for ten years. Now Theo Wolf, he's been a mark ever since he did a job in Miami ... [snip]
Magnum: Why are you doing this?
Icepick: Ethics. That piece of dirt. He "hit" a friend of mine.
Magnum: Theo Wolf?
Icepick: I didn't know Theo. You never saw me. (walks out)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

Rock on, James!

Forumites,

Have you ever noticed that Icepick tends to lick his lips quite often, almost like a lizard.

Any time you see an episode with Elisha Cook (as Icepick), take a notice!

(Maybe this is my observation and is blatantly obvious, but check it out)

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by sophia »

What hat is that T. C. is wearing when they are playing baseball?
James, maybe you have it already and I have missed it, but it would be great to have an area with all the differant hats worn on the show,
just a though.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#12 Post by Tralfaz »

t

;)
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by sophia »

Tralfaz,
yes,I forgot the t :lol: :lol:

A P Leyland
Captain

#14 Post by A P Leyland »

Magnificent episode. Best of Season 6 by a mile.

Andy

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MACattack »

Great episode. But it needs a theme song. Maybe "Land of Confusion" by Genesis. That would totally rock!
I just don't give a damn!