No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 95

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

timm525 wrote:This was a great ep.

Magnum's shoulder must have one big hole in it from all those shootings he's been in. :lol: Any more and the bullets will just pass through there. :wink:

I liked the young girl "Marta Kober". She played a good street kid part. I did some internet searching on her and was surprised to see she did a little acting and then seemed to fall into a life of drugs and lost her way for several years. I read that she recently got back with her family in Hawaii and is doing well. Hopefully we will see her again in some other TV/films.

The seatbelt scene really caught my eye when I saw that! :shock:

One of the best of season 6.
LOL @ the shoulder bit timm! Too funny! :)

Thanks for the info on Marta Kober. I really liked her in this episode, as well. Great to hear that she is back on her feet again.

Without a doubt, one of the best Magnum P.I. episodes in the series!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by 308GTS »

Agree with James, a terrific episode. Dark, gritty, relentless tension and an awesome ending. Fabulous!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Wow! Great episode!

#23 Post by nha trang »

I was so happy to catch a grade-A Magnum episode tonight! Unfortunately I just discovered the DVD I bought used on Amazon for season 6 has one disc with a big fat scratch on it that prevented me from watching the previous two episodes - thankfully this one was fine and I guess the bright side is I now have 2 easter-egg Magnum PI episodes to watch someday!

This episode reminded me somewhat of the one guest starring Frank Sinatra. I completely agree with JJ - the pacing and well...everything about the episode was to my liking!

It was one of the more believable Magnum PI episodes to my memory - and I don't mean the simple logistics of the plot, but the character of Thomas Magnum. I love how it starts out with the baseball scene. I was just thinking about the Magnum PI plot formulas...I like how they establish the setting etc. in the first part of the episode and then move into the story.

Their were so many great aspects of this episode that I'd have to rewatch it (and wouldn't mind doing that) to mention all of them. But the scene with TC and Magnum is touching. This episode shows Magnum in one of the more vulnerable states in my opinion, he is kind of on his own on this one, TC knows it, and as the good friend that he is, let's Magnum know his concerns. Absolutely no over-acting in that scene lol.

This is one of those "bucket list" Magnum episodes -- if not perfection, very damn near close! :lol:

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by AmandaByNight »

This is one of my favorite episodes, and I agree that its tone is akin to Laura.

Clu Gulager was friends with Selleck's parents, if I'm correct, and he's wonderful here in a small but very important part. I really like the way this one unfolds and it's got some great characters thanks to Gulager and Marta Kober as the young runaway. She was SO adorable! It's a dark episode, but well played and effective. I guess this, Laura and Death and Taxes are proably my favorite episodes of the second half of Magnum's runs... I'd have to think about that, but I'm pretty sure those would be my top three...

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is also one of my favorites of season 6...very "gritty" and "dark" episode that shocks you almost from the start!

However, despite its seriousness it also captivates you and keeps you glued to the screen to see what happens next! That dorky looking guy with the dorky looking 80's glasses was a perfect hit-man...you'd never guess until he pulled that gun out and blew his supposed father away! :o

I also respected Magnum for tracking him down, despite him being seriously wounded by the killer before. The action and suspense in this one really kept it going too...pretty wild ending!

This one was excellent, and that's what I rated it as. :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#26 Post by miltontheripper »

This is one of my all time favorites. Dark and gritty and Driscoll was a great villain! Definitely this is one of the more intense Magnum's ever. Probably one of the best Ice Pick appearance's ever as well! I liked his line in the hospital of "he hit one of my friends" meaning Magnum and not the rich guy who actually got shot. The scenes that chronicled both Magnum's and Driscoll's recovery's side by side were great and built a lot of suspense. The only thing that would have made this one better for me would have been a one on one hand to hand showdown between TM and Driscoll at the end!

mandolabar
Captain

#27 Post by mandolabar »

I really liked this episode, but I could have used more Higgins interaction. I will be appeased by the fact that Magnum saw Higgins first in his delirium. But still.

Just sayin'.
"What I would have done, Magnum, is what I did." (Mad Dogs & Englishmen)

Bes
Commander

#28 Post by Bes »

Definately one of the greatest episodes of series 6!

snp389
Captain

#29 Post by snp389 »

One of the better Ep's ever I reckon. TM has such great moral values, but I love it when he feels he has been taken advantage of, and then reacts...with Military aggression.[b]

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Way of the Stalking Horse (6.17)

#30 Post by marlboro »

Good episode. Some random thoughts:

Loved the Ice Pick hospital scene.

Loved the grittier tone.

Thought it was a nice touch offing Clu early on in the episode. I expected him to be one of the main stars.

I wish they had chosen a different title for the episode so that the shocking twist at the beginning would have been a bit more of a surprise.

I thought the girl did a very nice job. Considering this show has had a plethora of both annoying kids and annoying female sidekicks it's amazing that she came across so likeable.

J.J. Walters wrote: If they could have extended the ending a bit, and had a wounded Magnum and a wounded Driscoll fight hand-to-hand, after the gunfight, and with maybe Mary Elizabeth jumping in, this would have been a perfect episode, IMHO! It's still a great ending, but I was left wanting more! I wanted to see an EPIC battle between TM and Driscoll in that dark building!
Totally agree. I though that the denouement with the teddy bear was a little weak, so i would have loved to see that extra minute of running time replaced with an extended fight scene. Especially if it was filmed as well as the one from "Let the Punishment Fit the Crime."

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#31 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a great episode. They used the same theme several times (Magnum is shot, but seeks revenge before he's healed), but this one had a different feel to it. Icepick coming to Magnum directly was a bit of a shock since Rick was usually the one to get Magnum and Icepick together. I thought the scene at the guest house between Magnum and TC was one of the better ones they had together. I could tell straight away that TC had the gun and why, but it was still interesting as Magnum searched for it without trying to give away what he was looking for to TC. The only real thing that REALLY bothered me was that when Driscoll grabbed the young kid in the alley to get away there was seemingly no parent around. The kid was screaming for its mother from the second Driscoll grabbed them until after Magnum got there to late to stop the car, but nobody seemed to respond. Was there a child that young just roaming a seedy neighborhood alley? I also didn't quite understand why "Mary Elizabeth" just didn't leave that building when she was so freaked out about it? It's not like she was under some huge obligation and it was pretty dangerous there. Overall, it was really solid.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by 308GUY »

Watched this one again.

Came off pretty good, I thought.

I think it kind of gives a glimpse of the idea that Selleck was "outgrowing" the Magnum role.

Of course, ANYBODY is going to get a little more serious when they've been shot, but allot of the "impish" TM disappeared. I think it's great credit to Selleck's acting ability as he developed more depth to his character. I just think this one more than some of the other "serious" episodes, showed that evolution brought on by aging or "maturing" if you prefer.

All in all and some minor details not withstanding, I liked this one, especially being in the sixth season, which is generally thought to be not one of the best.

I think it exemplifies, at least for me, one of the reasons the series ended when it did, and was actually slated to do so a year earlier, though I'm glad it didn't go that way.

I actually think they could still revitalize the series using as many of the original cast as would be interested, just not in the same capacity, i.e., they would still be who they were, but there would be a whole new cast under the guidance/direction of the old. I know it's been discussed endlessly elsewhere on the forum, just can't help feeling it could "go" if done right.

I can see TM retiring (again!) from the Navy and starting the Magnum Investigation Bureau with TM being at the helm, but assigning "agents" (new cast members) to different cases all over the world. TC-owner/operator of Island Hoppers Charter Service with an entire fleet of aircraft, fixed wing included, Rick with a string of fancy eateries/clubs again scattered all over the country in the form of franchises....etc., etc., etc.. :D

Ok, rambling again now. It's just that with the resurgence of H50, there's already a crew working on the island....... ok, done rambling for now......:magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

#33 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

This episode contains a pre-"Pleasure Principle" instance of Magnum with an issue of National Review.

In this episode an issue of National Review can be seen on Magnum's tray table during the scene where Magnum is visited by T.C. and Rick in the hospital.

It is the 30th anniversary issue of National Review from 1985.

Turkey
Admiral

#34 Post by Turkey »

Another great episode - especially liked the last fight, great scene setting with the escalators.

As other folks have said, interesting to see things begin to change for Thomas and the loss of his mischievous side continuing.
Make it two weeks.

Sperry
Lieutenant

Re:

#35 Post by Sperry »

sophia wrote:What hat is that T. C. is wearing when they are playing baseball?
James, maybe you have it already and I have missed it, but it would be great to have an area with all the differant hats worn on the show,
just a though.
Superbowl 20 cap..only 8 years waiting for a reply!