3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 78

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Find Me a Rainbow (6.18)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Find Me a Rainbow (6.18). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 3/13/1986
It's anything but child's play when Magnum searches for a missing boy and uncovers a black market baby business.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

A so-so episode that is saved by a touching, tear-jerker ending. I really like Julia Montgomery in this episode. Still surprised her career didn't do better than it did, the Revenge of the Nerds movies notwithstanding.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#3 Post by Shermy »

My favorite part of this episode is when Magnum sneaks into the charity fundraiser. When Higgins spots him, his reaction (roughly paraphrased below) is classic:

Higgins: "Oh. My. God. Magnum! What are you doing here? Leave the premises E-ME-diately before someone sees you!"

I don't know why, but that scene always cracks me up. I think it's the way he acts horrified that someone might actually see Magnum there. :lol:

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by Vanity »

Don't know if this is the right place to post the blufs, but there is one in this episode where, very seldom case of Magnum driving the Ferrari with his seatbelt on. Few secs later, he's still driving, but without the belt on.
I know what you're thinking...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Vanity, one of the things I've been on the lookout for, as I revisited the episodes, was just this very thing - seatbelts. Who wears them and when. I didn't see any in Seasons 1-6. I went back and re-looked at this episode, but I still don't see a seatbelt. Where did you see it in this episode?

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Vanity »

For sure it was in Season 6.
I'll make it my homework during this coming weekend and will let you know which episode it exactly is, though I'm pretty certain it is in either Find me a rainbow or in Way of the Stalking Horse.
Thinking of it, I believe it the second one.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Just found it - It's in Way of the Stalking Horse! Somehow I missed it, initially.

Hark! A seatbelt has finally been spotted in the show!

Vanity wrote:Don't know if this is the right place to post the blufs, but there is one in this episode where, very seldom case of Magnum driving the Ferrari with his seatbelt on. Few secs later, he's still driving, but without the belt on.
Regarding the matter of seatbelts in the show, this flub is absolutely hilarious! Six years into the show, Magnum finally puts on a seatbelt, only to take it off again seconds later after finding it unsatisfactory! LOL!!

I don't think we see another seatbelt until Season Seven.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri May 25, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#8 Post by Vanity »

You're right James, this screen shot sure is a collector 8)

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by eegorr »

James J. Walters wrote:Regarding the matter of seatbelts in the show, this flub is absolutely hilarious! Six years into the show, Magnum finally puts on a seatbelt, only to take it off again seconds later after finding it unsatisfactory! LOL!!
Selleck probably wears his seat belt in real-life, but his alter-ego Magnum would not. TS probably automatically put his seat belt on when he got in the car and they had to tell him to take it off! I'm surprised they did not simply remove the damn thing -- maybe they did in most of the cars and this one was a stand-in.

Otherwise, I'll bet there were lots of times this was caught and this is one instance where they missed it.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Frodoleader »

Watched this episode last night. I thought the happy ending was a little too contrived. The wife commented when little Jessie appeared that the police would have made a complete check of the grounds before leaving and thus found Jessie. She tends to overthink things :lol:
By the way, I believe the screenshot for Sellecklovers avatar is from this episode!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Frodoleader wrote:Watched this episode last night. I thought the happy ending was a little too contrived. The wife commented when little Jessie appeared that the police would have made a complete check of the grounds before leaving and thus found Jessie. She tends to overthink things.
Yeah, that was a bit of a stretch, even for an 80s action/drama show like MPI. The police bust this major child smuggling ring, haul everybody out, then split .... in like two minutes!? No looking for evidence, no searching the grounds, nothing. :?

Of course, the reason they did it like that was so the ending would pack an even bigger emotional punch! It must of worked, because despite being contrived and predictable, I bawled my eyes out! I'm a "softie" when it comes to stuff like this. ;)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:
Frodoleader wrote:Watched this episode last night. I thought the happy ending was a little too contrived. The wife commented when little Jessie appeared that the police would have made a complete check of the grounds before leaving and thus found Jessie. She tends to overthink things.
Yeah, that was a bit of a stretch, even for an 80s action/drama show like MPI. The police bust this major child smuggling ring, haul everybody out, then split .... in like two minutes!? No looking for evidence, no searching the grounds, nothing. :?
Yeah, it reminds me of "Missing in Action" (season 1), when Eric gets shot and falls into the water, Magnum and Laura don't even look in the water to see if he still might be alive. Or, in "Tran Quoc Jones" after Magnum and the gang go to all the trouble to help Tran Quoc, even risk their lives, they don't even try to look for him when he disappears at the end. Did someone say "suspension of disbelief." :lol:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

This episode is one of my least favorite in the series, just for the above reasons....

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

I'm not sure about this, as I haven't cued up the episode to check it, but I THINK at least Barbara (Marcia Wallace) wore a seatbelt in "Beauty Knows No Pain" while in the Ferrari. I vaguely remember noting this when I watched this episode a few weeks ago, and if memory serves (which is seriously doubtful at my advantaged age), TM had his on too -- sort of like, "if she wears hers, I guess I have to wear mine too."

Maybe someone can check this and see if I'm just imagining things?

Or it's wishful thinking -- I was not a big seat-belt-wearer myself until a car cut in front of me at an intersection several years ago, and I slammed into it, throwing myself up and forward and banging my head against the padded sunshade. I wasn't really hurt (hitting my hard head was probably the least vulnerable place to be struck!), but I'm a religious seat-beat-wearer now . . . .

golf

golf (see? I told ya I wasn't hurt . . . .)
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:I'm not sure about this, as I haven't cued up the episode to check it, but I THINK at least Barbara (Marcia Wallace) wore a seatbelt in "Beauty Knows No Pain" while in the Ferrari. I vaguely remember noting this when I watched this episode a few weeks ago, and if memory serves (which is seriously doubtful at my advantaged age), TM had his on too -- sort of like, "if she wears hers, I guess I have to wear mine too."
golf, I just checked - not a seatbelt in sight!