3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 78

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Find Me a Rainbow (6.18)

#41 Post by Doc Fred »

I guess I'm in the minority... I was undecided if Lydia was hot or not... finally decided she wasn't.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#42 Post by marlboro »

I think the story would have worked a lot better if Magnum's client had been poor and had sold her baby, had been remorseful, and was now trying to track him down. Lot's of potential for drama and moral questions in that scenario.

steveadl wrote:Not one of the strongest episodes, but not too bad over all.

The main plot hole for me was the idea that Lydia was looking for her son against her families wishes. Sure they may have been disgraced by her in their posh circle, not approved etc but in the end - their daughter had a child, which was then kidnapped by the father. We're supposed to believe they'd cut her off financially from looking for him?!

Yes, I found this extremely odd as well. I have a hard time that the patriarch of a family of millionaires would allow the hired help to knock up his daughter and then kidnap his grandson and not do anything about it. The driver was still using his real name to boot! Even if the girls father forbid it, I'm pretty sure she would have enough clout to get her kid back with a simple call to the police. I know the girl says that the police don't want to spend resources on kids getting kidnapped by their own parents when they have so many other cases or something, but that is pretty silly. I'm sure the police handle cases like that all the time. I would be willing to bet that most "kidnapping" cases in the US involve relatives. (no stats to back that up, just a hunch)

And another thing: after the chauffeur initially tells Magnum that there "was no son" I would think that Magnum's next step would be to place a call to the girl's family to get to the bottom of what is going on. But, even though the girl has lied to him every step of the way, he now becomes totally convinced that she is telling the truth. I don't really understand that.

And finally: the happy ending. It just isn't plausible, for all the reasons that the others have already mentioned.

Favorite bit: Magnum's rainbow pickup line. I'll have to remember that one.

szilard
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#43 Post by szilard »

I cried at the end of this ep.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

Re:

#44 Post by Dave Anderson »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Frodoleader wrote:Watched this episode last night. I thought the happy ending was a little too contrived. The wife commented when little Jessie appeared that the police would have made a complete check of the grounds before leaving and thus found Jessie. She tends to overthink things.
Yeah, that was a bit of a stretch, even for an 80s action/drama show like MPI. The police bust this major child smuggling ring, haul everybody out, then split .... in like two minutes!? No looking for evidence, no searching the grounds, nothing. :?

Of course, the reason they did it like that was so the ending would pack an even bigger emotional punch! It must of worked, because despite being contrived and predictable, I bawled my eyes out! I'm a "softie" when it comes to stuff like this. ;)
Yes, the ending was not very believable but better than say Paper War. There was literally no time for them to get out the building in that one. In this episode, you can assume that the child rode his bike off the grounds, nobody noticed, and was just now coming back. Its not beyond the realm of impossibility. As for the police operation being wrapped up, there may have been some police out on the street or whatever, just not in the yard anymore. At least it seems possible. Its a stretch, but not impossible.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#45 Post by Dave Anderson »

Saw this episode again last night on Cozi. I like it. The storyline has a few improbabilities in it and could have been more realistic, but as someone mentioned, this was 80s TV, so nothing unusual about improbable storylines. There are less believable episodes in the series. This is an enjoyable episode with a "feel good" ending, which is nice sometimes. The actress playing Lydia was, of course, gorgeous, which didn't hurt either. She was also convincing in showing that even a young, spoiled rich girl can turn into a "momma bear" when her cub is in danger. All in all, I liked the episode from beginning to end, though not one of MPI's best, it was a very good one.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#46 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was one of the many episodes where Magnum's client lies to him to get to some other hidden agenda and he has to solve the case while sorting through all of the lies on both sides. This one was a little sloppy about it because not everything ended up adding together, but I liked the overall story. It had a little of everything in it which normally makes for the better episodes.

The first thing I had trouble with was that Lydia had taken her file from the first detective's office by gun point, but then never showed that side to her personality again. It almost seemed like an extra scene to fill time that they tacked on as an after thought. Then you had the whole swerving scenes such as she's rich/not rich, the guy stole jewels/he stole her baby, the baby was dead/the baby was still alive, the adoption was legal/it was illegal. That made it a little confusing until towards the end. I kind of get the vibe that the parents of Lydia didn't want any scandal so they kept quiet on the matter, but if she was 17 at the time wouldn't she be able to still charge him with statuatory rape? They never really delved into that aspect of it. There was also no real explanation as to why Rick was helping out with this camp other than they had nothing else for him to do in the episode. The ending was perhaps the worst in show history. It took me a bit to recognise they were still sitting on the same property as before because since it switched scenes and they were just sitting there I thought they had gone to some park or something which made it really bizzare to me. Knowing, now, it was the same property it makes more sense, but was not done well.

What I liked about it was how Magnum was determined to solve the case despite both sides being dishonest about what was happening. He also turned down the extra pay which he seemed to do when he was most determined to solve a case for some reason. Higgins being completely frustrated at the inability to instill discipline into the children was great. You know he was wanting to run things like a military camp and just was not allowed. I really enjoyed how they tied the sub plot in with the main plot out of no where, but yet had it make total sense. That was well done. Magnum's bemoaning the snacks during the stake out was one of the better scenes I thought. His let down of the snack being a food he dislikes to his excitement as he thinks she may have chocolate chip cookies to the return of the let down when she doesn't was great.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Higgins: "Oh. My. God. Magnum! What are you doing here? Leave the premises E-ME-diately before someone sees you!"

I don't know why, but that scene always cracks me up. I think it's the way he acts horrified that someone might actually see Magnum there. :lol:
LOL! This despite Magnum actually being in a decent suit and Loretta dressing in all her 80s attire. :P
The thing that really shocks me about the whole thing is that all the states that require seatbelts, yet have no helmet law for motorcycles.

That actually shocks me too. (For the record, here in British Columbia seatbelts have been mandated since 1977. I'm guessing our large hills and mountains and highways had caused more accidents in general.) Motorcycle accidents happen way too often sadly, even when the cyclist is protected and quite experienced.
I kind of get the vibe that the parents of Lydia didn't want any scandal so they kept quiet on the matter, but if she was 17 at the time wouldn't she be able to still charge him with statutory rape? They never really delved into that aspect of it.
The age of consent in New York is 17. Even if Lydia's father wanted to press charges, he couldn't. In that and her owning a gun (21 being the minimum for a handgun), the writers were surprisingly accurate with ages in this episode.

I did find the ending a touch contrived too, though I do know that kids can wander off far from where they started. It would be a lot more contrived to me if Jesse had wandered off on foot in that short time.

Speaking from experience here. A couple years back at my job, this father had lost his two small kids and after a store-wide search, the police were called. They searched the general outside area as well. Eventually, after about an hour I heard that they had found the kids. They had apparently left our store, had gone through the (likely very busy) parking lot, and had ended up at the Costco across the street :shock: , that street being a busy section of highway. :oops:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Steve »

The thing that really shocks me about the whole thing is that all the states that require seatbelts, yet have no helmet law for motorcycles.

That actually shocks me too. (For the record, here in British Columbia seatbelts have been mandated since 1977. I'm guessing our large hills and mountains and highways had caused more accidents in general.) Motorcycle accidents happen way too often sadly, even when the cyclist is protected and quite experienced.

The story we bikers like to tell whenever legislators in non-helmet law States try and enact legislation is the following ...."40,000lb semi crosses two lanes of traffic, hops two curbs, hits and kills a motorcyclist in line at a burger king drive up....The motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet"...
I kind of get the vibe that the parents of Lydia didn't want any scandal so they kept quiet on the matter, but if she was 17 at the time wouldn't she be able to still charge him with statutory rape? They never really delved into that aspect of it.

The age of consent in New York is 17. Even if Lydia's father wanted to press those charges, he couldn't. In that and her owning a gun (21 being the minimum for a handgun), the writers were surprisingly accurate with ages in this episode.

[/quote]

Is that called the Anthony Wieiner Law?

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

To clarify, I do know above all (and what I meant before is) that the main cause for these accidents is driver disregard for motorcyclists and it's awful. :(

I don't know if Magnum's dive for the football into the bushes is the first Chariots of Fire homage (probably not), but it's certainly one of the earliest. :P

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#50 Post by K Hale »

J.J. Walters wrote:Just found it - It's in Way of the Stalking Horse! Somehow I missed it, initially.

Hark! A seatbelt has finally been spotted in the show!

Vanity wrote:Don't know if this is the right place to post the blufs, but there is one in this episode where, very seldom case of Magnum driving the Ferrari with his seatbelt on. Few secs later, he's still driving, but without the belt on.
Regarding the matter of seatbelts in the show, this flub is absolutely hilarious! Six years into the show, Magnum finally puts on a seatbelt, only to take it off again seconds later after finding it unsatisfactory! LOL!!

I don't think we see another seatbelt until Season Seven.
Way off topic but Higgins wears a seat belt in the three-wheeled car in S6 "Deja Vu." I was watching it last night and that was so incongruous that it stood out. Perhaps U.K. laws were different/better enforced?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I think it's strange that Canadian seat belt laws/attitudes seem to have been decades ahead of the US. I remember always wearing seat belts from the late 70's. Where I was, it was still optional, but most people were wearing them consistently from the very early 80's.

Of course, Canadians had the common sense to go metric in 1977 and the Americans still haven't gotten around it.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#52 Post by marlboro »

Why should the government force an adult to wear a seatbelt? I get it for children, but what right does the government have to tell an adult what to do in their own private vehicle if it doesn't endanger anyone else? Most accidents happen inside the home, should you be forced to wear a helmet and other safety gear in your own home? If not, then how is that different than the seat belt laws for adults?

You might almost think it's an excuse to extort money out of the citizenry or give cops a cheap excuse to pull people over and search their cars.

youtu.be/hiQoyr5vEXU

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Well I would actually agree with you there. I was mostly commenting on voluntary usage based on common sense/ scientific evidence, not strictly enforcing it with monetary penalties - like American law enforcement always likes to do. See, what happens is that American police turn it into a profit-making policy that eventually makes it so profitable that it eventually becomes policy even in Canada. I absolute HATE for-profit-policing - police going out and getting people going slightly over the speed limit that aren't harming anybody just because they have a quota and need to do it to finance the police department. This should be stopped! Also, police should have a warrant to search any vehicle and checkpoints should be totally ignored because they are ILLEGAL!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

youtu.be/hiQoyr5vEXU[/quote]

I saw that video when it came out and I'm as disgusted now as I was then. I realized that the US is not a free country and something radical must be done to restore freedom to this country. I think it's too late though. The American public are too ignorant, apathetic and obsessed with meaningless things like Facebook, reality TV and the latest iPhone.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#55 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Seat belts save lives!"... :) I wonder what TV show first showed a car scene with a seat belt? Dragnet? Adam-12? Hill Street Blues? ... The world may never know. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!