6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 78

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Frodoleader wrote:Watched this episode last night. I thought the happy ending was a little too contrived. The wife commented when little Jessie appeared that the police would have made a complete check of the grounds before leaving and thus found Jessie. She tends to overthink things.
Yeah, that was a bit of a stretch, even for an 80s action/drama show like MPI. The police bust this major child smuggling ring, haul everybody out, then split .... in like two minutes!? No looking for evidence, no searching the grounds, nothing. :?

Of course, the reason they did it like that was so the ending would pack an even bigger emotional punch! It must of worked, because despite being contrived and predictable, I bawled my eyes out! I'm a "softie" when it comes to stuff like this. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#12 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:
Frodoleader wrote:Watched this episode last night. I thought the happy ending was a little too contrived. The wife commented when little Jessie appeared that the police would have made a complete check of the grounds before leaving and thus found Jessie. She tends to overthink things.
Yeah, that was a bit of a stretch, even for an 80s action/drama show like MPI. The police bust this major child smuggling ring, haul everybody out, then split .... in like two minutes!? No looking for evidence, no searching the grounds, nothing. :?
Yeah, it reminds me of "Missing in Action" (season 1), when Eric gets shot and falls into the water, Magnum and Laura don't even look in the water to see if he still might be alive. Or, in "Tran Quoc Jones" after Magnum and the gang go to all the trouble to help Tran Quoc, even risk their lives, they don't even try to look for him when he disappears at the end. Did someone say "suspension of disbelief." :lol:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

This episode is one of my least favorite in the series, just for the above reasons....

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

I'm not sure about this, as I haven't cued up the episode to check it, but I THINK at least Barbara (Marcia Wallace) wore a seatbelt in "Beauty Knows No Pain" while in the Ferrari. I vaguely remember noting this when I watched this episode a few weeks ago, and if memory serves (which is seriously doubtful at my advantaged age), TM had his on too -- sort of like, "if she wears hers, I guess I have to wear mine too."

Maybe someone can check this and see if I'm just imagining things?

Or it's wishful thinking -- I was not a big seat-belt-wearer myself until a car cut in front of me at an intersection several years ago, and I slammed into it, throwing myself up and forward and banging my head against the padded sunshade. I wasn't really hurt (hitting my hard head was probably the least vulnerable place to be struck!), but I'm a religious seat-beat-wearer now . . . .

golf

golf (see? I told ya I wasn't hurt . . . .)
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:I'm not sure about this, as I haven't cued up the episode to check it, but I THINK at least Barbara (Marcia Wallace) wore a seatbelt in "Beauty Knows No Pain" while in the Ferrari. I vaguely remember noting this when I watched this episode a few weeks ago, and if memory serves (which is seriously doubtful at my advantaged age), TM had his on too -- sort of like, "if she wears hers, I guess I have to wear mine too."
golf, I just checked - not a seatbelt in sight!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#16 Post by golfmobile »

James,

Okay, thanks. I swear I saw one somewhere -- oh, well, Seasons 1-3 keep being repeated on Sleuth -- I'll find it sooner or later and will post when I have it.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

According to the IMDB, this episode features not one, but two former Playboy "Playmates of the Month" - Stella Stevens (Jan. 1960) and Lourdes Estores (June 1982), the lady on the beach that Magnum tells his "rainbow story" to.

I believe this makes 8 confirmed "Playmates" on the show. Who knows, maybe there are more. :)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Steve »

You know what......I like this episode as it has so many of the elements that made the series endearing to me.........
Magnum failing at his attempts to charm the pretty girl on the beach (Playboy Bunny #1).......
Higgins at a Charity event, happening upon Magnum with hilarious declarations by Higgins for Magnum to leave, getting a facefull of caviar, and all in the presense of Playboy Bunny #2-Stella Stevens, whom by the way was 50 years old when she filmed this....COUGAR!.........
A stake-out in the Ferrari.......
(by the way, I argue that the "hang loose" attitude in Hawaii would result in the natives shunning seat belts and seat belt laws as a mainlander nuissance)
Magnum and TC showing their sports and football skills resulting in Magnum destroying some of Higgins flora.....
An emotional and happy ending..
But, most of all, it has one of my favorite scenes, and why they didn't do more with the Rosie character is beyond me.....

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

Couldn't agree more Steve!

Rosine should definitely have had more screen time! Maybe even a whole episode revolving around her. Absolutely love Elissa Hoopai!

This may be the most satisfying ending of the entire series, especially if you are a parent.
Steve wrote:....COUGAR!.........
:lol:

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

This is one of those episodes that I can’t really make up my mind about – some good elements, some bad.

[rating=7.5]

Thomas is hired by a wealthy young woman to find her family’s ex-chauffer, who she claims stole jewellery belonging to her. But it emerges that the man is actually father of the girl’s young son, and has snatched him away. A fair story clumsily told…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

When I first saw this episode, some years ago, I wasn’t taken with it at all. Coming to re-watch it now, I’ve actually warmed to it slightly more. I think somewhere in there, there is a decent story, but unfortunately the episode is very awkwardly told, with bad pacing, and as a result it ends up as just a middling episode at best.

I like Magnum’s opening scene, as he is giving his speech about rainbows (a running motif throughout the story), only for the woman he is trying to impress to be wearing headphones and missed the whole spiel.

Julia Montgomery is a very able actress, and does well with what she’s given here, but not for a second did I buy that her character, Lydia, was only 21; this was one of my main gripes with the episode.

The story itself… like I say, there’s something good in there, but it is told very clumsily. It is very dragged out in places, and it wasn’t until halfway through that I started to really engage with what was going on.

There is also a b-plot involving a boys summer camp spending the week on the Estate, which made for some nice moments (I like the scene with Higgins teaching them to make hats out of reed), but at the same time, I personally felt that a little more could have been done with this side story.
And I felt that the revelation late on that the very woman running the summer camp was tied up in the baby racket, to be far too over-convenient.

…And as for the baby selling racket, well, there was room for an interesting plot here, but I felt that it was introduced too late in the proceedings to be used to its full extent.

This is also one of those episodes that is a little too talky, and other than the brief brawl between Magnum and Burns at the climax, it is an action-free story, something that I typically am not too keen on.

The ending – where Lydia is finally reunited with her son – is nice though, even if it is a little implausible; the Police didn’t seem to have done a very good job searching the place if they missed him playing out in the gardens!

So all-in-all… a very mixed episode. Like I say, I think there was a decent story in here somewhere, and there are some good moments, but as a whole, it doesn’t completely work.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Another case of the DVD version abridging the act breaks… you get the idea by now!

* T.C. wears the purple Lakers hat, seen in ‘This Island Isn’t Big Enough…’, again here. Strange, I didn’t remember him wearing it more than once.

* When Five in the U.K. ran the series on weekday mornings in 2002-3, this was the first episode broadcast in 2003 after the Christmas break.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

jetranger
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by jetranger »

Winced a bit when I saw Magnum stumble and nearly roll his ankle on some uneven ground as he and Lydia walk into the grounds of Burns child holding house at 41:22.

daveinitiv
Ensign

#22 Post by daveinitiv »

Another flub at the very end. When Lydia starts walking down the lawn she wears those high heels. In the next shot she is walking barefoot down that lawn. You never know when she took of her shoes during she is walking.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#23 Post by N1095A »

As I recall the 80s were a time when seatbelt laws were only beginning to happen. Prior to that were free to choose to wear or not wear them. Growing up in the 70s and early 80s I don't remember ever wearing seatbelts or for that matter seeing anyone else do so. Of course the powers that be saw a way to make some revenue, an automatic fine in addition to what you got pulled over for. That turned into the nazi-esque Clickit or Ticket program that allows police to pull you over just for not having the seatbelt on. The thing that really shocks me about the whole thing is that all the states that require seatbelts, yet have no helmet law for motorcycles.
Keep in mind, I'm not opposed to wearing seatbelts. I am opposed to the government telling me I have to, and fining me if I don't under the guize of concern for my safety.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#24 Post by SelleckLover »

N1095A wrote:
I am opposed to the government telling me I have to, and fining me if I don't under the guize of concern for my safety.
I'm with you on this one Mike! But, of course, I do wear my seat belt at all times. (I'd hate to survive all this cardiac stuff and croak because I was stupid!):D

firefly
Commander

#25 Post by firefly »

one possible flub i noticed while watching this episode last evening.

higgins was relaying what susan brandis said about her emergency that forced her to suddenly leave the estate, but higgins wasn't present when she took the phone call, only rick and tc were there. in addition, susan did not even say anything (well other than she will be back in time for the luau) to rick and tc yet higgins relayed detailed dialogue.

i suppose that she could have called higgins from her office, but that doesn't seem likely.

i also have to agree with the statement made earlier in this thread that it was difficult to believe that julia montgomery was only 21. while she is/was a extremely attractive woman, 21?, closer to 31.