6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 78

jetranger
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by jetranger »

Winced a bit when I saw Magnum stumble and nearly roll his ankle on some uneven ground as he and Lydia walk into the grounds of Burns child holding house at 41:22.

daveinitiv
Ensign

#22 Post by daveinitiv »

Another flub at the very end. When Lydia starts walking down the lawn she wears those high heels. In the next shot she is walking barefoot down that lawn. You never know when she took of her shoes during she is walking.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#23 Post by N1095A »

As I recall the 80s were a time when seatbelt laws were only beginning to happen. Prior to that were free to choose to wear or not wear them. Growing up in the 70s and early 80s I don't remember ever wearing seatbelts or for that matter seeing anyone else do so. Of course the powers that be saw a way to make some revenue, an automatic fine in addition to what you got pulled over for. That turned into the nazi-esque Clickit or Ticket program that allows police to pull you over just for not having the seatbelt on. The thing that really shocks me about the whole thing is that all the states that require seatbelts, yet have no helmet law for motorcycles.
Keep in mind, I'm not opposed to wearing seatbelts. I am opposed to the government telling me I have to, and fining me if I don't under the guize of concern for my safety.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#24 Post by SelleckLover »

N1095A wrote:
I am opposed to the government telling me I have to, and fining me if I don't under the guize of concern for my safety.
I'm with you on this one Mike! But, of course, I do wear my seat belt at all times. (I'd hate to survive all this cardiac stuff and croak because I was stupid!):D

firefly
Commander

#25 Post by firefly »

one possible flub i noticed while watching this episode last evening.

higgins was relaying what susan brandis said about her emergency that forced her to suddenly leave the estate, but higgins wasn't present when she took the phone call, only rick and tc were there. in addition, susan did not even say anything (well other than she will be back in time for the luau) to rick and tc yet higgins relayed detailed dialogue.

i suppose that she could have called higgins from her office, but that doesn't seem likely.

i also have to agree with the statement made earlier in this thread that it was difficult to believe that julia montgomery was only 21. while she is/was a extremely attractive woman, 21?, closer to 31.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#26 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eegorr wrote:Selleck probably wears his seat belt in real-life, but his alter-ego Magnum would not.
This reminds me of a video we had to watch in drivers ed, where Don Johnson reminded all of us to wear our seatbelts. He gets into the Daytona, then looks at the camera and says something like "On TV, Sonny Crockett never wears a seatbelt. But in real life (putting on his belt), Don Johnson always does."

I like this episode, but my mind kept nagging me that both Lydia and everybody else wasn't taking the kidnapping and sale of child very seriously. I mean, sure they were looking for the kid, but the disappearance of a child would surely be a bigger deal - especially with the leads they had. As a parent, if I were in Lydia's position, I would have gone bananas at the end - and you can bet that old Donald Burns would not have left the premises walking!

By the way, thanks James for pointing out the Revenge of the Nerds connection. The whole episode, I'm thinking...I know this girl from somewhere!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#27 Post by timm525 »

This was an OK ep. just to watch Julia Montgomery. :twisted: Never saw her before or after but I sure thought she was hot. Sorry to say, she couldn't pass as a 21 year old though. I put her more at 25-30 and I think she was actually 26 when the ep. was made.

I guess impact resistant glass AKA hurricane windows sure would have been handy for Higgins back then. :lol:

There are a few things that just didn't add up for me.

1. Why the lie in the beginning about stolen pearls instead of a stolen baby?

2. Why would her rich family not support her financially in her search for her/their kidnapped (grand)child? She stumbled when TM mentions 3k and that she could end up getting it???

3. The whole in and out with the cops at the end and not searching the grounds was kinda silly.

4. The whole sub plot of Higgins and company at the estate with those kids just didn't seem to gel smoothly for me.

In my opinion, the ep. would have been a lot better had Lidia told him the truth upfront and then have TM convince the gang to help him find the boy. It could have ended up being a much better/more involved ep. with the whole gang helping to save the kid.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by steveadl »

Not one of the strongest episodes, but not too bad over all.

The main plot hole for me was the idea that Lydia was looking for her son against her families wishes. Sure they may have been disgraced by her in their posh circle, not approved etc but in the end - their daughter had a child, which was then kidnapped by the father. We're supposed to believe they'd cut her off financially from looking for him?!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by AmandaByNight »

I quite like this episode. I know Montgomery from an 80s slasher called Girl's Nite Out and Kip Gilman is just awesome, so I enjoyed the cast quite a bit, and I agree the ending is unexpectedly touching. I can't say it's a favorite, but it's one I always enjoy watching.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Little Garwood »

I'll have to compare screencaps, but I'm certain that the little boy who played Jesse was the same scamp who was Little Garwood in S5's The Legacy of Garwood Huddle. He'd be a year older in Find Me a Rainbow.

I rated this episode a 7.5...
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#31 Post by rubber chicken »

I think you're right Little Garwood, good eye. :)

The Legacy of Garwood Huddle - 5.4

Find Me a Rainbow - 6.18

I wonder what his story is. Could he be the child of Lady X? ;)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Little Garwood »

Thanks for posting the screencaps, rubber chicken!

Maybe James will give me another credit for spotting this one...
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by AmandaByNight »

I love this episode. It's surprisingly moving at the end. Julie Montgomery was in a slasher called Girls Nite Out and she is flat our adorable, so it was a treat to see her in this as well.

I should also mention the brief scene with Kip Gilman always makes me smile. He is such an underrated actor. I met his wife actually (the goregous Jamie Rose) about 2 years ago and I was mooning over her hubby and she seemed pleasantly pleased by that. I'm pretty sure the two big things I mentioned were Magnum and Bedroom Eyes.

I've also met Shavar Ross and was so excited because of Magnum. I don't think he gets that one alot. He's recognized mostly as Dudley from Diff'rent Strokes or Reggie the Reckless from Friday the 13th Part 5! He didn't say much, he just acted surprised that I remembered him on Magnum. He was SO nice!

Anyway, yes. Kip Gilman. Awesome actor. I really think his part should have been bigger. He's so great.

OK, rambling done! :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

I do believe you guy's are correct! It's gotta be the same kid. Poor kid gets kidnapped twice in two different episodes!

Little Garwood wrote:Thanks for posting the screencaps, rubber chicken!

I've added the notes to the Episode Guide. Pretty funny to have the entries ended with "Noted by Little Garwood"! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#35 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:Thanks for posting the screencaps, rubber chicken!

Nice catch Gar!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.