6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 89

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#46 Post by Rutledal »

Did see it mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd just say that the episodes title is a play on the title of the Dustin Hoffman movie "Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me?".

IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067980/
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by MACattack »

Don Luis 's accent sounds alot like Ricardo Montalban on fantasy island. I keep expecting Tattoo to pop out of nowhere and say "de plane, de plane!"
I just don't give a damn!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Little Garwood »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:Magnum’s limp is strange – we get some vague hint that he injured his leg playing some game, presumably with Rick and T.C., but it is never fully explained; there is unconfirmed rumour that it was written in when Tom Selleck injured himself in reality.
That the injury was constantly mentioned as if to "explain it away" in some abstract fashion and not have any kind of payoff was much more...lame..than if there was just some half-hearted explanation at episode's end. But what can I say? It's another bit of "cutesy" crap endemic of season six.

I still enjoyed the episode, though. 8.5...
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Tuan Vu
Captain

#49 Post by Tuan Vu »

Ha, ha! What a great episode this was! With Higgins, you never know if it's really him or someone else, which keeps Magnum second-guessing.

I like how Higgins has to prove himself to Magnum by telling him the Gunga Din story. I also like how Magnum knew Higgins would never resort to an amateurish move like the Uncle-Lyle-whatever-you-call-it move. And also I like how Magnum could understand what Higgins was mumbling through the mouth gag. All these things show how well they really know each other.

But it's ironic that they are really close and yet there are times Higgins can pull the wool over Magnum's eyes...and vice versa.

Without John Hillerman, I am not sure how good Magnum, p.i. would have been. I am glad he finally won an Emmy back in 1987.

Only thing is that T.C. was not in this episode, but I guess he just didn't fit into the story.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Somewhat funny episode, where we get to meet another one of Higgins' goofy half-brothers. Decent action and enjoyable chess scenes between Higgins, Magnum, and Don Luis. I also noticed Anthony LaPaglia as supposedly as a young Higgins' father. That was interesting. :lol:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#51 Post by miltontheripper »

This was a pretty decent episode. I always enjoy meeting another "Higgins brother". While Patty McGinnis is my personal fav I enjoyed Don Luis and his allergic reaction to the "Damn Plants". Watching TM use some very basic trick move to continually best Higgins at chess was pretty entertaining too. Seeing Higgins on TV playing chess was quite enjoyable also.

mandolabar
Captain

#52 Post by mandolabar »

Okay, I was not expecting to like this episode--we've done Higgins brothers before, we've had him dress like them before, etc.--but I am totally eating my words. I loved it. I have a new favorite Higgins! Don Luis was wonderful.

I loved the "Oh, my God!" "Deus Mio!" I loved Magnum understanding Higgins even through the gag, and the speculative look at the gag after Higgins starts complaining...I loved "Any time is the right time if you're Higgins" and the lightning recitation of Gunga Din. I loved Don Luis and Higgins being *each other* and Hillerman managing to be a Spaniard faking an English accent. I loved Don-Luis-dressed-as-Higgins, coming out with Don Luis' accent! And I found the Don Luis accent well done, personally.

Maybe it's just me? And that I find the dark-haired, bearded Hillerman just dashing as hell? But this episode was a blast.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#53 Post by Doc Fred »

lutherhgillis wrote:I agree the whole castle blitz thing is rediculous for all the reasons you guys mention. And to think Mag could beat Higgins several times using the same move ? :shock: :shock:

And Higgins is supposed to be the best in the Islands ? :shock: :shock:

And Don Luis learns the game one night and wins a tournament match the next day ? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maybe its tropical madness...
Uncle Lyle's Castle Blitz really works!!! No kidding.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by Doc Fred »

N1095A wrote:One of the things that really made this show great was the characters. Sure it was TS who was the "star" of the show, but it truly was all of them that made the show. The more I watch it the more I love it. It's not biased, it's fact. This is the greatest television show ever made.
Amen!!! It's my all-time favorite, and nothing else is close...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#55 Post by Doc Fred »

MACattack wrote:The thing I liked most was how Don Luis was different from Higgins. I guess growing up in a tropical South American republic caused him to be a little laid back. He actually sat down and had a beer with Magnum. This is something Higgins would never do. He has too much pride.
MPI really has warm characters. People I wouldn't mind having a beer with, or go kayaking with. I just wouldn't invite Higgins to any keggers at the guest house!
You see the same things in the characters that I do, and it's the characters that make this series so great. The stories, to me, are secondary to the story of the characters.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Who is Don Luis Higgins? .... (6.19)

#56 Post by Stelth »

This was a fun episode. I like when actors play multiple characters, and John Hillerman does the different accents very convincingly. One recurring trait I noticed is that Thomas hangs his head in shame when he realizes he screwed up and is sorry. He did this at the party when Higgins berates him. It's a funny affectation.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#57 Post by marlboro »

"Do not fight it; our hips have minds of their own!"

"Si!" Si!"

I don't have much to say about this one. I enjoyed it. Hillerman was great as always playing dual roles. Looking at the episode guide, I'm sad to read that this is the last of the Higgins Brothers episodes.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by KENJI »

The gate code for the touch pad that is just inside the main gate was revealed in this episode.....2935......change your own personal codes to this Robin's Nest connection.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#59 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I thought that this one was a mixed bag. I thought Hillerman was brilliant in the dual roles. It had a few fun moments such as Agatha dancing with Don Luis while Higgins glared. My main gripes are that Magnum was out of character. He didn't ever seem really worried about the fact that someone was trying to assassinate a president. He seemed more focused on having fun with Higgins' half brother and smoking cigars. The scene where he blew up at the postal worker seemed way out of character for him. It bordered on bizzare. The coup scene was terrible. The revolutionaries chased the lone survivor rather than just shoot her? Then she is standing behind a door and they don't fire a single shot because they want to kick the door down? Terrible.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I don't think I posted this...I contacted Rick Romer a few weeks ago about the scene from "Who Is Don Luis Higgins..." where Higgins is tied up in the boathouse. The scene had been bugging me (and Sam) that something just wasn't right, and sure enough, Rick confirmed that the scene was filmed in the studio! He went on to point out some glaring clues, and then added "I refer to sets like this as ones that would get me fired if I were to do them today!"

JJ has updated the episode guide with this new information.

Rick did confirm however that the two scenes from "The Kona Winds" were indeed filmed in the garage of the gatehouse.