6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 89

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#16 Post by rubber chicken »

You ask tough questions Sam, which is why it can take a bit for me to respond. :)

First, I'm going to correct myself concerning where I said this in my previous post...
The first time they're here, (on the platform to the right of the dark squarish thing).
After finding a better picture of the top of the hotel I can see that that is not the place, it's actually to the left of the "dark squarish thing" where the chopper has landed many other times. (This might be too detailed for anyone to care about, but I'm a perfectionist and want the info I give to be accurate.)

Concerning This Island Isn't Big Enough (6.16) and the location where Katsumoto almost falls off the side of the hotel, that is in fact the Waikiki Beach Hotel, and not the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort. I put together a collage which can be compared to the roofs pictured in those two links.

Good call on the Hyatt Regency Waikiki in Computer Date (2.14). Which episode is the one with Mac and the pilots? I can't picture it right now.

The Hyatt Regency Waikiki is also incorrectly used as an establishing shot for the Waikiki Beach Hotel in Italian Ice (2.16).
Last edited by rubber chicken on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Sam »

Concerning This Island Isn't Big Enough (6.16) and the location where Katsumoto almost falls off the side of the hotel

Dang RC,you are absolutely correct again,as usual.I would have bet the ranch that it was the Marriott.I always remember the pool at Waikiki Beach having the two tone paint job.

Your link to Waikiki Beach Hotel is fairly new,the renovation took place in 2001-2002.Prior to that the Tiki Bar (the area SE of the pool) was not there.There was a very small balcony area with a few tables and a stair well on the corner.In fact the area under the white thing (volcano) was a walled in bar and I do believe it was the bar in Billy Joe Bob.The bartender pulls a shotgun on TM.

Which episode is the one with Mac and the pilots?

RC,I'm afraid you'll have to ask someone else,I don't know.

By the way,what a great link to the hotels..The Waikiki Beach link has a good shot of the balcony in Italian Ice..Thanks

Yep.you nailed it on the helicopter landing location

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam wrote:In photo one the establishing shot,that is the Resort Quest Waikiki Beach Hotel,formerly the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel and formerly Hawaiian Waikiki Beach Hotel.
During the filming of MPI, was the hotel known as the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, or the Hawaiian Waikiki Beach Hotel?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Sam »

During the filming of MPI, was the hotel known as the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, or the Hawaiian Waikiki Beach Hotel?

James,my best guess would be Hawaiian Waikiki..I don't think the Aston name was used until 85-86.They were known as Hotel Corporation of the Pacific.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Sam »

James...I don't have caps or any way to prove it...In this link, the rooftop is the bar in"Faith and Begorrah"

I was reminded of that looking at the photos of the "Resort Quest"

I don't know the name now but it was the "Aqua Ocean" it was a dump..

RC should be able to cap it.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... ooftop.jpg

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#21 Post by rubber chicken »

You're right Sam, that's the one. I saved your post to get back to but forgot you actually pointed out the hotel (honest!) so I found it on my own. I really could have saved time by looking at your post again...

The hotel is now called Hotel Renew and I posted about it in the Faith and Begorrah (3.23) thread.

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by Jodykmg365 »

Does anyone know how Tom Selleck hurt his foot in this episode? I had heard that it was a real injury.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by lutherhgillis »

I had also heard somewhere that he really hurt his foot. They mentioned it so many times in the epi that it makes me think they were trying a little too hard to explain it away... So it must have been a real injury.

The chess part of this is surprizing to me. If chess were to be such a prominent part of the epi, why didn't they buy a chess handbook? They really fell down on this part of the story. The chess board and castle blitz and Higgins being beaten by Magnum several times and Don Luis winning a mtch pretending to be Higgins after learning the game the night before...Geez, give me a break!

It was good to see the downstairs portion of the boathouse. I'll bet the upstaris was a gameroom for teens or a small pad for a grounds worker. What a cool porch with a great ocean view! I would bunk there for a while!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MaximRecoil »

James J. Walters wrote: And then we have the chess scenes. If you love MPI and chess, like I do, then this is the apex - Magnum and Higgins in the study playing chess. It all goes downhill from there, unfortunately. Higgins apparently loses to Magnum 4 out of 5 games, because of Magnum's "Castle Blitz" (Uncle Lyle's Castle Blitz to be more precise). The "Castle Blitz" is apparently an almost unstoppable opening trap for White, ending with a Black queenside castle checkmate, seven moves out of the opening! Higgins, who supposedly plays at the "expert" level and has the highest ranking on the islands, plays into a mate in 1 and falls for the same opening trap four times!? There's Higgins, with all of his minor pieces undeveloped, playing a4 and right into a mate in 1!? Huh?

If that's not ludicrous enough, Magnum's checkmate (clearly shown on the screen) is not even close to being a checkmate, based on the setup of the pieces on the board! It's so bad, it's actually funny!

Is it even possible to checkmate by castling 7 moves into the game, as Don Luis did at the tournament? I doubt highly that it is. Some pawns would have to be gone from both players, and the opponent's king would have to be moved into a position that lines up with where the rook ends up after castling, and somehow be in a position that he couldn't move anywhere without still being in check, and having no way to block the check. Seven moves doesn't seem like a long enough time to set something like that up, even if you were playing someone bad enough at the game to randomply and haphazardly move his king around at the beginning of the game, as well as coincidentally clearing out pawns and losing other pieces or otherwise making them unavailable to block the check.

Even if such a thing is possible (which I doubt), it could certainly never be considered a trap, because it would require your opponent to make the most ridiculous, random, and improbable moves imaginable. Traps work by creating available moves for your opponent that seem like good moves on the surface, thus "guiding" them into the trap. There is no way to guide anyone into screwing up their pawn structure, moving their king to line up with a castled rook, and putting all pieces out of position to block such a check; and all in 7 moves no less.
Killer chess set, though.
Nice to look at, miserable to play with IMO. That was a ridiculously cramped board, with unfamiliar looking pieces. I refuse to play on anything but a Staunton set (3.75" to 4" King) on a board with 2.25" squares.

If Higgins was a real person and a serious chess player, I'd expect him to have a Jaques of London (the company that introduced the now standard Staunton design in the first place) ebony and boxwood Staunton set, rather than a novelty set. Maybe something along the lines of this:

Only $3600 for the 4" king set or $5200 for the 4.4" king set, (lol). Something like that would be fitting for a traditional British fellow of "proper breeding" (as he likes to put it).
Last edited by MaximRecoil on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#25 Post by rubber chicken »

Hmm, suddenly buying Magnum's Rolex seems like a bargain!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

MaximRecoil wrote:Even if such a thing is possible (which I doubt), it could certainly never be considered a trap, because it would require your opponent to make the most ridiculous, random, and improbable moves imaginable. Traps work by creating available moves for your opponent that seem like good moves on the surface, thus "guiding" them into the trap. There is no way to guide anyone into screwing up their pawn structure, moving their king to line up with a castled rook, and putting all pieces out of position to block such a check; and all in 7 moves no less.
Indeed! It's a flub of epic proportions!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by lutherhgillis »

I agree the whole castle blitz thing is rediculous for all the reasons you guys mention. And to think Mag could beat Higgins several times using the same move ? :shock: :shock:

And Higgins is supposed to be the best in the Islands ? :shock: :shock:

And Don Luis learns the game one night and wins a tournament match the next day ? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maybe its tropical madness...

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#28 Post by golfmobile »

This episode was run twice this weekend on Sleuth, and I watched it both times so I could catch all the details outlined here.

It took a while for me, via Google Earth, to spot the Dillingham Estate/La Pietra-Hawaii School for Girls because with only the street address, Google Earth puts Poni Moi Road on the Big Island. But with the words "School for Girls" in the search parameters, GE finds it correctly.

Interestingly, though potentially not accurate because GE couldn't find Poni Moi Road on Oahu, the street on the card for the post office box rental that Thomas got from the postal agent, 73-1203 Loloa Street, GE also puts on the Big Island. Seems the islands all have a lot of the same names -- e.g., Kailua on both Oahu and Big Island, etc., etc.

Now, the thing that bothers me MOST about this episode is the name "Don Luis." The implication was that this was the character's name -- the initials prominently displayed on all his handkerchiefs. But "Don" is a title of honor in Spanish-speaking cultures, I thought, and as stated on the internet:
It’s reasonably well known that the title “don” prefixed to a Spanish given name implies that its holder is a person of some importance – a nobleman, a scholar, or at least a man of wealth.
So as used in this episode, "Don Luis Higgins" is rather . . . . inept?

JMO

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#29 Post by Italian Ice »

First scene where Higgins and Don Luis are in the same room...
Both of them say Oh My God very fast and surprised

Higginss: Oh my God...
Don Luis: Dios Mio....

:)
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#30 Post by Rutledal »

I was wondering if there is a "making of" Don Luis story? Elmo had one, Paddy too, even Soo Ling got her own "making of story". Does Don Luis have one, and if he does, please tell it.