1%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 89

EZiller
Captain

Re: Who is Don Luis Higgins? .... (6.19)

#61 Post by EZiller »

I love all the Higgins episodes and this is no exception. Actually, they stole the idea of the half-brothers from "F Troop" a funny sitcom from the 60's about a cavalry troop that took place at the mythical Fort Courage in the 1870's American west. Larry Storch was a co-star to Forrest tucker, playing the dim-witted Cpl. Agarn, who periodically had his look alike cousins show up; Agarnoff, a Russian Cossack-Agarnato, a Mexican bandit and Lucky Pierre, a French-Canadian fur trader. PC it wasn't!

I'll give this a 9.5, another excellent performance by Hillerman as Don Luis. Also in the cast as El Presidente of the S. American banana republic was Cesare Danove. A few years earlier in "Animal House" he played Carmine Dipasto, the slightly shady owner of the towns Oldsmobile dealership, one of the leading merchants.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by No need to know! »

This is one of the best Higgins episodes of the series, and the best if we talk about halfbrother episodes 8)

This season is to me maybe the weakest one, and this episode along with Way of the stalking horse and Deja vu really stands out. This one more of a comedy episode compared with the others of course.

Some really funny moments in this one, "dumb plants".

When Magnum wave those flowers in Higgins face :lol: thats comedy gold for me.
Onion´s extra?

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

SignGuyHPW wrote:The scene where he blew up at the postal worker seemed way out of character for him.
I can see that, considering he pretty much made a scene in an otherwise quiet place. Though he was certainly human enough to have gotten annoyed at everyone asking him about his limp.

With that said, he probably should've known better than to yell at postal lady Big Sally a.k.a. Mrs. Artie "Canoe". :lol:

Gordon Katsumoto
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#64 Post by Gordon Katsumoto »

A good episode with a double dose of John Hillerman. What's not to like about it?

Two regrets: the chess scenes make absolutely no sense (they're funny though, especially when Higgins/Don Luis offers to explain the castle rook move to the President) and the lack of TC.

Special mention for Rick's disguise! :lol:

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Gordon Katsumoto wrote:Special mention for Rick's disguise! :lol:
Yes, the mustache! :lol: I think this is the only time too that the parallel between Rick and Higgins' heights is drawn.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by KingKC »

The thing I liked most about this episode is that it was the last with Hillerman playing double roles. Elmo Ziller was fun but Father Paddy pushed it and Don Luis went overboard with "believability." (If that is even a word!)

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by eagle »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I don't think I posted this...I contacted Rick Romer a few weeks ago about the scene from "Who Is Don Luis Higgins..." where Higgins is tied up in the boathouse. The scene had been bugging me (and Sam) that something just wasn't right, and sure enough, Rick confirmed that the scene was filmed in the studio! He went on to point out some glaring clues, and then added "I refer to sets like this as ones that would get me fired if I were to do them today!"
I was excited to see that it looked to be filmed in the real boathouse. Too bad that it wasn't.

Did Rick give you an idea of why he would've been fired for that set today?

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by eagle »

And: John Hillerman playing Don Luis disguised as Higgins. That guy was a great actor - wow.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by K Hale »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
Gordon Katsumoto wrote:Special mention for Rick's disguise! :lol:
Yes, the mustache! :lol: I think this is the only time too that the parallel between Rick and Higgins' heights is drawn.
Rick disguised himself as Higgins in "Black on White."

Several people have mentioned that there was never any explanation for Magnum's leg injury. Not so; in the opening scene of Magnum and Higgins playing chess, Magnum says he injured his leg playing "over the line."
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:Several people have mentioned that there was never any explanation for Magnum's leg injury. Not so; in the opening scene of Magnum and Higgins playing chess, Magnum says he injured his leg playing "over the line."
When I read your post quickly, I thought you said Magnum injured his leg playing chess. I've played some pretty tricky chess games, but never broke a leg.

I've got to say I hate this episode. This episode is another example bad later-season writing. (Thanks again, Jay Huguely.)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
K Hale wrote:Several people have mentioned that there was never any explanation for Magnum's leg injury. Not so; in the opening scene of Magnum and Higgins playing chess, Magnum says he injured his leg playing "over the line."
When I read your post quickly, I thought you said Magnum injured his leg playing chess. I've played some pretty tricky chess games, but never broke a leg.

I've got to say I hate this episode. This episode is another example bad later-season writing. (Thanks again, Jay Huguely.)
Maybe Higgins got tired of him "cheating" and kicked him. :shock:

There are 10,000 plot holes in this episode, but it has its good bits.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#72 Post by K Hale »

N1095A wrote:Kanani Choy appears as the postal clerk. She previously appeared in "The Return Of Luther H. Gillis" as Big Sally who was best remembered for going after Magnum and Luther with a rather large fryin pan.
But yeah... why DID Magnum go off on the postal clerk??
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Laohu »

Was well acted but the writers let them down . Weak plot and having a twin for Higgins made it even weaker .

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by K Hale »

Apparently Over the Line was quite the thing in that era! https://youtu.be/8HhHEqHyq7c
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#75 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:Apparently Over the Line was quite the thing in that era! https://youtu.be/8HhHEqHyq7c
That’s down in San Diego and they still hold the tournament, well maybe not at the moment. I went once with some buddies in college back in the early 90’s. I also used to play it a lot in the 80’s and 90’s. You only need four people to play. That’s the beauty of it. It didn’t need a lot of organization to play ball, plus in college it involved coolers of beer! :D Same coolers for the tournament, players and fans.