6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 74

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by steveadl »

This was a fun, light hearted episode - I liked it. Some of the back and forths between TM and Shelley are quite funny.

Also, carrying on the tradition if the MPI seatbelt synopsis - in this episode TM actually tries to put a seatbelt on due to Shelley's bad driving, but she informs him it's broken. :lol:

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#32 Post by nha trang »

Well, I completely forgot about the "cat speech" when I rated the episode average...because that cat speech was tremendous, and Selleck acted it out perfectly...what comedy! lol

But, the cat speech was the best part of the episode for me! I also enjoyed Magnum disabling the bad guys getaway car, got a chuckle out of that tactic as well...lol

I do think this was a questionable way to end the season though! Looking forward to season 7!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by AmandaByNight »

I love the build up the cat speech, where he starts to lose the audience and Agatha's slightly horrified reaction. It always cracks me up.

I like Cassie Yates, but not so much here... Still, I will watch this one if it comes on.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:Tough episode for Agatha. She breaks both of her ankles, at different times! Hey, that's the price you sometimes pay for hanging out with "The Gang". ;)

This episode contains one of the funniest scenes of the entire show, IMHO. Magnum's "Spin the Cat" speech! Simply hilarious! I put a flash audio clip of it on the Audio page - link.

A decent episode all-in-all, although I don't think it's the best choice for a season closer.
Poor Agatha...you usually do end up getting banged up a bit if hanging with Magnum and the gang! :wink: I remember watching this when it originally aired...I felt so bad for Agatha. :?

I also agree that Magnum's "Spin the Cat" speech was hilarious, and truly one of the funniest moments in the series! :lol: :lol:

I also agree that they should have used this one earlier in the season...there were several others that would have made better season finales. Both the season premieres and finales need to be two of the best episodes in the season...which this one was not.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#35 Post by miltontheripper »

[quote="
A decent episode all-in-all, although I don't think it's the best choice for a season closer.[/quote]

Poor Agatha...you usually do end up getting banged up a bit if hanging with Magnum and the gang! :wink: I remember watching this when it originally aired...I felt so bad for Agatha. :?

I also agree that Magnum's "Spin the Cat" speech was hilarious, and truly one of the funniest moments in the series! :lol: :lol:

quote]

Couldn't agree more, a decent episode but not to close out an excellent season like season 6. TM's cat speech is priceless though. Am I crazy or does Shelley Faraday play the same character as her first appearance in season four or five? Not sure, must be confused.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#36 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

When the baddies park outside the shopping mall MAgnum tears something off their car engine and throws it away so they can start the car. Does anybody know what part he tears off?
Last edited by Croix de Lorraine on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#37 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Vanity wrote:If you remember, some many months back, we were discussing whether or not they had been shooting on location on the French Riviera or if they had only used some existing footage.

Well, here's the outcome of my little research.

This episode was aired in April 1986 for the first time. Which would mean that the shooting was no later than early 1985.
The footage used at the opening of this episode where one can see the Cannes and the Carlton Hotel during the film festival dates from 1978. You can tell from the movies billboards featured on the facade of the hotel.

Just thought I'd share.
Well spotted. The Bardem on the billboard is film director Juan Antonio Bardem, uncle of Javier Bardem (No Country For Old Men).
Last edited by Croix de Lorraine on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#38 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Vanity wrote:Talking about French policemen at Nice Airport at the beginning of the episode, PATHETIC uniforms. I mean seriously lousy replicas. Don't know whether to put it in the flubbs or not, but the police badges are somewhat as if you'd try to have a security agent pretend wearing a real cop's one.
Agree. And what about the ridiculous little boy wearing a beret? :shock: No wonder Americans get laughed ay for their ignorance!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by MaximRecoil »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:When the baddies park outside the shopping mall MAgnum tears something off their car engine and throws it away so they can start the car. Does anybody know what part he tears off?
The "coil wire", i.e.; the wire that goes from the center terminal of the distributor cap to the ignition coil. This is a quick and easy method of preventing a car from starting. However, he should have put it in his pocket rather than throwing it on the ground. With it being on the ground less than a stone's throw away, it could have been retrieved and replaced in less than a minute, which could have been a problem, especially if Magnum got stuck in traffic during his getaway.

I thought it was funny that they only cranked the engine for less than two seconds before deciding it wasn't going to start and giving up completely. Who does that?

It was also funny that Rick, like Barney Fife, was apparently only issued one "bullet" (the slide locked back on his pistol after firing his first shot, something that a properly functioning pistol only does when empty).

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re:

#40 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:"I can't take credit for saving Kibble's life, whatever life this happens to be. Oh, I'd say about 5 or 6 from the look of him." :)
I'm pretty sure the cat's name was Tybalt (as in Romeo and Juliet), which would make it Tybbie I guess.

Pretty good episode overall, despite some of the noted annoyances. Great TM/Higgins banter.

Did any one else notice that the name of one of the main bad guys in this was "Carlos Solis" - same name as one of the main characters in Desperate Housewives?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#41 Post by Doc Fred »

Jodykmg365 wrote:Sometimes the things that Higgins gets all upset about are downright silly. I wouldn't have taken him for a billiard lover. Also, he was pretty callous toward Agatha's injury, considering how smitten she always has been with him.

Was the room that was shown where Higgins is watching TV an upstairs den? I think they showed the same room in Kona Winds??
Actually, I don't think Higgy was callous about Agatha's first broken ankle. Recall that when Magnum went to the hospital to visit her with his small batch of flowers, he saw many large vases filled with flowers and then remarked words to the effect that they were all from Higgy...
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#42 Post by Doc Fred »

J.J. Walters wrote:Plus, Goldie's really not so bad.
I think you know how I feel about that. :)

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Photo Play (6.21)

#43 Post by Doc Fred »

Contrary to many here, I actually like Cassie Yates, and think she was a great-looking gal. She played her role well in this episode and in the "Kiss of the Sabre"... With that said, the characters she played were terribly annoying, someone I'd hate to be around. But, not anywhere near as bad as the Goldie character; Goldie was a total loser (not the actress, but the character).

Count me in among you who loved the cat-spinning story. I imagine most of us have done that at one time or other with a pet cat and/or pet dog... the pets all seemed to enjoy it..

Didn't you just know that Higgy's tape of the snooker, at the end of the show, would be mangled in one way or the other?

As someone said, as soon as Magnum talked about developing the film that Shelly had, you had to know he'd be busting into the darkroom and destroy Higgy's developing in one way or the other. One thing many darkrooms have is an outside light that can be switched on from inside the darkroom as a way of signalling that it's in use... I'm surprised the estate darkroom didn't have that feature.

It was nice to see Higgy knock that guy off the "cliff"..

All those flowers Higgy sent to Agatha in the hospital speaks to his affection for her. Perhaps not romantic affection, but lots of personal affection. And it also speaks to the quality of the man and his honor.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#44 Post by Doc Ibold »

Doc Fred wrote: As someone said, as soon as Magnum talked about developing the film that Shelly had, you had to know he'd be busting into the darkroom and destroy Higgy's developing in one way or the other. One thing many darkrooms have is an outside light that can be switched on from inside the darkroom as a way of signalling that it's in use... I'm surprised the estate darkroom didn't have that feature.
It actually does. I believe there are some shots of the darkroom where there is a light over it in the study. But if memory serves me correct, it disappears in the res of this series.

Don't get me wrong. Cassie Yates is a good actress and attractive. It's just the characters she's written into on Magnum make me want to smack my head. That being said, she portrayed them convincingly.

I think it's the fact that throughout the course of the show her characters, while Magnum is trying to do his thing, interfere, criticize, commandeers and/or wrecks the Ferrari, Takes over the guest house and doesn't understand why Magnum is annoyed. Just overall annoying characters.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Fred wrote:But, not anywhere near as bad as the Goldie character; Goldie was a total loser (not the actress, but the character).
Loser? Hey, she helped Magnum pass English Lit., which in turn helped him to graduate. She doesn't sound like a loser to me. Of course.... she also.... burned down the goalposts at halftime of the homecoming game, so she clearly has some issues. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!