No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 74

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Photo Play (6.21)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Photo Play (6.21). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 4/10/1986
The picture's not pretty when Magnum's chance meeting with a photographer leads him to an embezzler who was believed to be dead.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#2 Post by Shermy »

Interesting to see an uncredited cameo from James Cromwell in this episode (playing a French policeman, no less!).

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, nice find Shermy! This isn't listed in any of the major sites (IMDB or TV.com, anyway). I added this to the episode guide and gave you a source credit.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Tough episode for Agatha. She breaks both of her ankles, at different times! Hey, that's the price you sometimes pay for hanging out with "The Gang". ;)

This episode contains one of the funniest scenes of the entire show, IMHO. Magnum's "Spin the Cat" speech! Simply hilarious! I put a flash audio clip of it on the Audio page - link.

A decent episode all-in-all, although I don't think it's the best choice for a season closer.

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by eegorr »

James J. Walters wrote:Hey, nice find Shermy! This isn't listed in any of the major sites (IMDB or TV.com, anyway). I added this to the episode guide and gave you a source credit.
I submitted that to IMDB back in November, the last time it ran on WGN -- just before I found your site, James. Apparently they didn't believe me! :x

I just submitted it to them again after watching the episode and seeing that they had not included the Cromwell reference -- it ran on WGN this morning.

BTW, a couple minor details. Ms. Faraday's name is spelled "Shelly", not "Shelley". We know this because the name and address on her camera bag is displayed as she tells it to the cop played by Cromwell. I submitted this to IMDB back in November as well -- I guess they were okay taking with my word on that one! :lol:

Lastly, the goofy cat lovers' society that Magnum receives the award from is the "Cat Admirers and Trainers Society" -- hence that acronym C.A.T.S. :idea:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks for the corrections eegorr. I'll update the episode guide soon.

Good luck with the Cromwell credit at the IMDB. I've been trying to get the Rolling Stones' Ron Wood removed from the four Magnum episodes he's credited to for a while now, but havn't had any luck. Oh well, I tried.

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by eegorr »

eegorr wrote:I submitted that to IMDB back in November, the last time it ran on WGN -- just before I found your site, James. Apparently they didn't believe me! :x

I just submitted it to them again after watching the episode and seeing that they had not included the Cromwell reference...
Looks like they believed me this time: :wink:
Photo Play cast on IMDB

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah! Nice work!

Hey eegorr, some day when you have time, see if you can shoot them a Ron Wood correction. Maybe if more than one person submits it, they might believe us.

I don't why, but it really, really bugs me that Ronnie is credited with appearing in four MPI episodes! As much as I would have loved to have seen him in MPI, the guy just never did. It was a different "Ron Wood"!

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Vanity »

Talking about French policemen at Nice Airport at the beginning of the episode, PATHETIC uniforms. I mean seriously lousy replicas. Don't know whether to put it in the flubbs or not, but the police badges are somewhat as if you'd try to have a security agent pretend wearing a real cop's one.
I know what you're thinking...

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#10 Post by Vanity »

If you remember, some many months back, we were discussing whether or not they had been shooting on location on the French Riviera or if they had only used some existing footage.

Well, here's the outcome of my little research.

This episode was aired in April 1986 for the first time. Which would mean that the shooting was no later than early 1985.
The footage used at the opening of this episode where one can see the Cannes and the Carlton Hotel during the film festival dates from 1978. You can tell from the movies billboards featured on the facade of the hotel.

Just thought I'd share.
I know what you're thinking...

AJL
Commander

#11 Post by AJL »

I don't think this episode is as bad as some people think, the cat speech was great and I epecially loved the first scene with Magnum and Higgins, where he wants to read Hig his cat speech, that scene was hilarious. Those 2 have a rarely matched chemistry!
Shelly was very annoying though (again, or why wasn't she just playing the same character from Kiss of the Sabre??? Everybody could see it was her), but I liked the "back to the basics" kind of approach to this episode.

Having just finished off season 6, I thought it was one of the weaker seasons, just too many episodes that strayed too far away from the standard formula (Deja Vu, Going Home, Paniolo etc.), plus many of the supposed classics I didn't like that much (Deja Vu: AWFUL, Way of the stalking horse: above average at best). I actually thought Old Acquaintenca was the best epiode form s. 6!
Well enough of my ranting anyway :D
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey Smakhouze, thanks for all of your write-ups on Season 6.

I agree, Season 6 is one of the weaker seasons, but it's still has some really good episodes ("The Kona Winds", "Blood and Honor", "Way of the Stalking Horse") "Old Acquaintance" has really grown on me as well and has become one of my favorites from Season 6.

The "Spin the Cat" speech is a classic Magnum moment.

"I can't take credit for saving Kibble's life, whatever life this happens to be. Oh, I'd say about 5 or 6 from the look of him." :)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:"Old Acquaintance" has really grown on me as well and has become one of my favorites from Season 6.
:shock:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Crazy I know, but upon further review I think the silliness of the storyline (dolphins with bombs) and the annoyance of Goldie is overshadowed by the other strong points of the episode - Rodney Radcliff and his ultra cool garage & cars, cool filming locations (Sea Life Park, Ala Wai Yacht Harbor, Kapiolani Park), Dickenson quotes, and memorable dialog. Plus, Goldie's really not so bad. The scenes with her and Magnum are downright hilarious, as they are pretty much complete opposites in every way. The "burning down the goalposts" exchange just kills me. ;)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#15 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:Plus, Goldie's really not so bad.
:shock: :shock:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)