No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 74

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Photo Play (6.21)

#51 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I enjoyed this one. Usually, my favorite episodes combine comedy with the drama which this one did nicely. I liked seeing Agatha get a bigger role, but they didn't really ever flesh out her character much. She probably had an interesting back story, but they didn't go much into it except a little bit here. I thought that the scene where it wasn't really Agatha in the bed was really funny. The speach for the cat people ended up being important later as they referenced it when using newspaper articles in more dramatic shows. It was also pretty funny how Shelley presumed they were after her due to her book, but they just didn't want the picture to incriminate them.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Milton Collins »

As much as Cassie Yates annoyed me in Kiss of the Sabre I actually didn't mind her in this one and actually thought this was a decent episode, gave it a 7.5. Poor poor Agatha and her broken legs! I have to say it's almost funny how Magnum is too busy yelling at Shelly to even notice that Agatha is down for the count. The cat speech is absolutely priceless! I love how the mood slowly moves from hero worship to slightly uncomfortable to extremely awkward to downright angry lol. My favorite part of this episode is Higgins obsession with the snooker tournament. In the beginning when Magnum knocks on the door and Higgins immediately screams for him to go away totally cracks me up. He's got tea and caviar and is totally obsessed. It reminds me of myself during the NCAA basketball tournament except it's chips and beer lol.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#53 Post by J.J. Walters »

Saw Cassie Yates the other day in a Murder, She Wrote episode. I was just flipping channels and then - Bam! - there she was! It startled me, actually. I watched it for a little bit and then moved on. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Milton Collins »

J.J. Walters wrote:Saw Cassie Yates the other day in a Murder, She Wrote episode. I was just flipping channels and then - Bam! - there she was! It startled me, actually. I watched it for a little bit and then moved on. :)

Oh wow, how funny! I actually have just started to watch some Murder She Wrote's and that was a pretty decent show! I'm one of the few who really liked the Magnum/Murder She Wrote crossover episode and that got me thinking to give it a try! Glad I did, it's no Magnum but its kindv'e fun for a change of pace!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by KingKC »

By far one of the most memorable TM faux pas when he gave the "cat speech." I also cannot get Cassie Yates out of my mind with her annoying appearances on MPI. I really didn't think her role could get worse that Kiss of the Sabre.

Another weak season finale.

KingKC

Mark R.Y.
Captain

Re:

#56 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Vanity wrote:The footage used at the opening of this episode where one can see the Cannes and the Carlton Hotel during the film festival dates from 1978. You can tell from the movies billboards featured on the facade of the hotel.
Can anyone identify the movie poster with the yellow background on the marquee to the left of "The Last Waltz"?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by charybdis1966 »

Have to say a slightly tedious storyline only kept alive by the main casts performances despite yet another woman client who doesn't tell TM the full circumstances of the case.

I found Cassie Yates more annoying in this episode and I know the fashions are of the time but her permed mop head really did look yuk. I can't believe I persuaded a girl friend of mine to get a perm like that at the time - what was I thinking !

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

When Higgins says to Magnum "For the last time, go!" when he's pouring tea, the word "go" doesn't seem to match his lips. It looks more like he's saying "stop" or even "leave".

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I think the main thing that tips the scales for annoyance with Shelly is that Betty was at least a bookish, focused woman who ultimately just wanted to do the right thing. Shelly on the other hand seemed to talk far more and felt the need to comment on everything (smudged makeup, etc.). :roll:

My grandparents used to have a huge dish just like Robin's on their old property. From the B.C. Interior, you could get American Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network (a score for our younger selves, as it would be about a decade till we got Canadian versions of those channels). If you pressed the wrong button and messed up the dish's angle, though, it would be a real pain in the ass to reset, hence maybe some of Higgins' behavior towards Magnum.

I think what aged poor Cassie Yates between episodes was definitely the perm! :shock: Unfortunately, even by the early 90s, they were still popular, and it seemed all the ladies in my parents' circle had them, including my poor mother, who shelled out hundreds of dollars for hers. :oops: She never had it until she came to Canada either. Talk about the 80s not being over until 1993! :lol:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by K Hale »

Doc Fred wrote:As someone said, as soon as Magnum talked about developing the film that Shelly had, you had to know he'd be busting into the darkroom and destroy Higgy's developing in one way or the other. One thing many darkrooms have is an outside light that can be switched on from inside the darkroom as a way of signalling that it's in use... I'm surprised the estate darkroom didn't have that feature.
It did at one point. I recall Higgins busting in on Magnum's developing at one point and Magnum shouting "The red light was on, Higgins!"
All those flowers Higgy sent to Agatha in the hospital speaks to his affection for her. Perhaps not romantic affection, but lots of personal affection. And it also speaks to the quality of the man and his honor.
There were about a half dozen large, expensive-looking arrangements on the table and Magnum read the cards and said they were all from Higgins. He's very fond of Agatha, just not in the way she would like. Ah, well... :|

The whole snooker subplot and cat speech was top notch. Cassie Yates isn't that bad, though her voice is really grating.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#61 Post by J.J. Walters »

K Hale wrote:Cassie Yates isn't that bad, though her voice is really grating.
Yeah, ya think? :) And just imagine if you combined that voice with Magnum's most annoying other acquaintance, one Miss Goldie Morris (Lee Purcell). Man, Magnum has been through a lot! :)

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/shelly_be ... mashup.mp3
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

karolis
Admiral

#62 Post by karolis »

The TV that Higgins is watching snooker championship most likely is Mitsubishi VS-363R Rear Projection TV.

Snapshots from the episode:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by K Hale »

I noticed the Mitsubishi logo on that TV. Comparing the pics, looks like they covered the name but not the logo. :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#64 Post by brianw »

Pretty boring ep. Cassie Yates is so annoying, as always. But I LOVE the Lou Whitaker reference at the end.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

brianw wrote:Pretty boring ep. Cassie Yates is so annoying, as always. But I LOVE the Lou Whitaker reference at the end.
Brianw,
The only time I have ever seen the actress Cassie Yates was on Magnum PI, in the mess titled "Kiss Of The Sabre" and here in "Photo Play".
Maybe she performed well elsewhere but frankly she sucks here.
Her annoying voice ruins scene after scene. The viewer is instead focused on wanting to spin her cross a kitchen floor
like Magnum's buddy's cat and watch her stagger up in a daze, which could only improve her acting.
Plus she literally looked like something the cat dragged in, I would bet money she was partying on Hotel street every night.
Jillie Mack would have been a better choice, at least she would have had some chemistry with Selleck.